1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The ice pick tele bridge again.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Diytelecaster, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

How do all.
    For a while I've always been slightly unhappy with the shrillness of the bridge pickup. I know this has been a very common problem for many over many years but for me I'm cured.
    One could simply turn the tone down but then it is too dark for the neck. My epiphany was to fit a 220kΩ resistor online with the bridge hot wire.
    The result is wondrous. Same sound but more rounded as if you are running a touch of compression. Bonus is that it doesn't affect the neck pickup.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm gonna have to try that.....
    My solution was to use a Bootstrap Pickups' Pretzel bridge pickup, and to use a "left-handed" Telecaster bridge on my right handed Tele, so that the p/up "slant" is away from the bridge on the treble side.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Interesting solution, glad you got the sound you can use. I would have thought increasing the impedance would make the pickup hotter. I use a .022 cap for a more usable sweep on the tone control and fine tune with it, often dialed back to 50-70%. The power of a tele bridge pickup wide open with overdrive is seductive when you need it, and hard to replicate any other way.

Gardo likes this.
  4. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

I put a set of harmonic design vintage plus pickups in my parts tele when I built it.

The only change was the pots and cap.

I went from 250k/250k/.047 to 500k/500k/022 with a treble bleed. It freed up some high end.

I've since removed the treble bleed and it is perfect.

Digital Larry likes this.
  5. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

I did at first change the cap from a 47 to a 22. The tone was the same just the sweep was in a different place on the pot. I lowered and raised pickups to try and compensate but to no avail.
    Right now I'm chuffed to bits. Equal pickup volume and still chimey.

6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

aw forget it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    hemingway likes this.
  7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If you don’t end up being satisfied with the resistor, changing the saddles to TUSQ might help. I installed them on my tele recently and they sound good but different than brass. More woody overtone than bell and no high end spike. The attack is not as snappy more resonant. I may still switch back to brass but they are worth trying for 40 bucks.

8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Pickup measured "impedance" is generally the result of resistance in the wire. More wire, more coils, more resistance, more output. But just putting a resistor inline adds resistance without adding any coils. Resistance increases but output doesn't. Pure resistance in such a circuit damps the resonance.

9. Swingbass

Swingbass Tele-Meister

I went with brass bridge plates along with PIO 0.047uF tone cap and 250K pots on 2 of my project Tele's. I also use DR Blues pure nickel 9-42 strings which have a more rounded tone. My '69 Thinline clone (SX) has Gen4 Noiseless pups and Gotoh individual chromed brass saddles. My solid body clone (Welch) has Bill and Becky Lawrence Micro coil pups and individual TUSQ saddles. Both instruments are Alder bodies with Maple necks and sing sweetly.

10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I just tried the resistor deal (120K to 220 K values) on two Tele bridge pickups and yes, it is a little rounder, but the output and low end decreased significantly. I think I'll stick with a 330 to 560 pF cap from bridge hot switch lug to ground. It's basically like turning the tone down to 7-8 or so on the bridge pickup while the neck pickup is unaffected.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Digital Larry likes this.
  11. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Top cut knob on the amp is perfect for this

12. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

In series or in parallel? I do it often in parallel, and it does have the effect of reducing the peak, with no other effect.

In parallel from the lead wire at the switch would look something like this on a Tele.

[​IMG]

13. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

I'm getting into the habit of turning the treble up on my amp and keeping the volume and tone on the guitar a bit lower.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  14. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Does the neck pickup have a brass cover? If yes, change to a nickel silver cover and then you can use your tone control to bring the bridge into line.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.