The "I can rent it for less" rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Its funny you mention that. I used to take shortcuts working on my own vehicle when I first started driving. I would put brackets back or wouldn't attach the hoses back to their brackets or whatever it was.

It wasn't until I got serious about it and made it a career that my ugly habits turned around. I'm not in that industry any longer but the "lesson" I learned stuck and I still don't shortcut anymore. It took me doing it professionally for that to change, though. Nothing happened. I didn't have an engine blow up due to something I didn't do or anything like that. I just learned not to cut corners like that because of what could happen.

Somewhat on subject, the only time I ever have given and will continue to give discounted rates to while still giving 100% to the job are for my aging parents when their trucks break down. Because they more than deserve it. I've saved them thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars throughout the years because I work for free :D Having a once-certified service tech on a $0 retainer sure is nice for them. Lol.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  2. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

This is a funny discussion on a forum where every other thread is either complaining about prices or asking how to get something done cheap.

3. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Some neighbors hired a roofing crew of three people. A month later it's still not finished.

I had mine done 8 years ago with a local company that's even around for 75 years.
    I paid them 22k. They took off 3 layers of old shingles and replaced all the fascia wood.
    1000 board feet including the sheeting for the roof itself. It took them 3 days longer than anticipated. They even rebuilt the rafters and support beams on the garage. 8 days total.

The smaller companies that quoted me 10k could not have done as complete a job.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I no longer worry about it if someone doesn’t think my fees are worth it. I have an excellent reputation and plenty of work. Someone who wants to go cheap is less concerned with quality, and it’s better to let them learn their own lessons than to argue about it.

I’m also not worried about people under cutting me. Those who can do the work cheaper or not earning themselves a living wage. They won’t be around forever.

Blackmore Fan and beyer160 like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Every skilled trade in my town is booked at least 4 months out, most are 6 months

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Irony is cruel...

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Quality isn't expensive ..... its priceless .

41144, stxrus and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  8. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep, especially when the success or failure of an event is down to a skilled individual or small group of them. I wish people saw that. But like working in the IT industry - when things are going well it's often taken for granted. When things go bad though, people have LONG memories.

SRHmusic and tery like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Luckily I’m not in that position
    It’s funny I stay busy and then it’s quiet then it’s crazy again. Feast or famine.
    But we are a small market of roughly 50,000

I do know a pool company, 2 home builders, and a remodeler that are not even talking to new customers until sometime next year. One contractor’s phone message says, “If you are calling regarding new construction or a renovation please call back after February, 2022. We will be talking to new clients and booking jobs at that time”

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  10. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah but you can feed a monkey caviar and lobster and at the end of the day it is still a monkey.

11. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

My older brother had a friend that did specialized car repair that complained about the same thing. You need to raise your rates until you are working the amount you want, if you don't have enough work lower them a little. It's all about supply and demand.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That reminds me of the time one of our clients bought all the same gear we used, hired a bunch of freelancers and tried to take it on the road. The problem was that he forgot to buy custom road cases for the electronics. So, he called us and asked to rent our road cases. "Sure!" the boss told him, "they cost the same as they do when there's gear in 'em though".

Years ago, a competitor opened shop in our area and sought to establish himself by undercutting the market. The owner of my company just shrugged and said, "he can do whatever he wants, I'm not racing him to the bottom". Two years later we were as busy as always, and the other guy was out of business.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  13. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm struggling with this so much right now. I've been especially frustrated with the 'race to the bottom' trend whenever I buy anything. I don't need 15 variations of $5 pliers that break in my hand, I want one $25 pair of pliers that I'll use for the rest of my life. I've shifted positions and will start working from home soon, so I'm trying to set up a space to do so. I need to buy things like a desk, a power strip, a coffee maker, a second humidifier, maybe a lamp, and a bunch of other stuff. All I can find is absolute crap. It's all cheap (relatively) but complete garbage. Just as many bad reviews as good. If a $20 coffee maker makes coffee that tastes like plastic and is prone to catching fire, where's the $90 coffee maker that doesn't?

Yet, on the other end of things, I can buy an $800 desk that doesn't look like it's made any better than the $80 ones. All laminated particle board.

14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Right on. There is so much work and knowledge involved in putting on a great show. It's refreshing hearing about someone who knows his craft and takes pride in making sure the finished product is great.

haggardfan1 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I tell lesser experienced Realtors "Everyone gets the agent they deserve..." and its situations just like the OP's that demonstrate it.

stormsedge likes this.
  16. Blackmore Fan

That's an excellent idea, seriously.

17. Blackmore Fan

Exactly.

18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I have more work than I can get to in a timely manner.
    Raising my rates will just hurt the folks that don’t have the money to pay more. I make a very comfortable living and have respect on the island

My business is for sale. I’m ready to retire. I tell folks interested that you can do 6 one hour jobs a week, or 5 one and a half hour jobs a week, or 4 two hour jobs a week and make $50,000 a year. That’s a decent living wage here.

Im not looking for the whole pie, just my portion. My competition has children in school, He charges more than I do. That’s ok because I pick up those that can’t afford my competition

richiek65 likes this.
  19. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

On a similar note Hollywood and the associated national crafts recently took a strike vote to get our employers to come to just those terms.
    Please note that of the members of my local ( Grip / Marine / Craft Service / Medical) voted 99.3% in favor of the strike.
    The nationwide strike vote was over 90%.

Screenshot_20211006-213214_Chrome.jpg

20. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that cheap tool trend started a few decades ago and drives me crazy. It has since then happened to just about everything else. So I keep a list of good quality stuff we've come across.

(Coffee making? Baratza's burr grinders are great. They're based in the northwest, I think. I bought one years ago for not too cheap, but it is still going strong. At one point, they provided an improved replacement for a the main gear and clear instructions, too. Not sure about coffee machines, but a Technivorm might be in order. :D)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.