The Humbler...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, May 3, 2019.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Danny Gatton, of course. One question I always wondered re: Danny, and I'm hoping someone here can answer (even if it's in a dm)...

The legend of Danny states that he blew many 'big name' guitarists off the stage, hence his nick-name. I don't doubt the truth of the legend, btw. But there is a lack of examples given - it's always 'big name' guitarists. Who might they be? Beck? Clapton? Albert Lee? Arlen Roth? Lee Ritenour? B B King? Hubert Sumlin? Many guitarists (from Joe Bonamassa through to Slash) have played with him, or acknowledged him, etc. But who did he humble?

Thanks in advance.

boris bubbanov and nojazzhere like this.
  2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

From Wikipedia:

Although Gatton could play most genres of music, including jazz, blues, bluegrass, and rock, he was known as a country and rockabilly guitarist.[2] He toured with singers Roger Miller and Robert Gordon.[3] He was sometimes called "The Telemaster" and "the world's greatest unknown guitarist".[2]Guitarist Amos Garrett called him "The Humbler" for his ability to defeat other guitarists in "head-cutting" jam sessions.[4] On this point, however, Gatton declared “The biggest humbler to me, of all time, would be Lenny Breau. He was the best I have ever seen."[5]

https://rubbercityreview.com/2010/09/danny-gatton-the-humbler/

Amos Garrett, himself no slouch on guitar, gave Gatton the nickname “The Humbler.” If one of his bandmates would start to get a little cocky after a gig, Garrett would whip out a tape of “The Humbler” blazing his way through one of his legendary live performances. I guess it was just Garrett’s way of keeping everyone honest, including himself.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Not sure. But I just googled "humbler", and let me advise that you have your "safe search" filter on if at work or similar. Otherwise...enjoy, I guess!

4. dlew919

Thanks for that: I hadn't twigged it was Garrett who bestowed it. But who were the ohter guitarists whose heads he cut?

5. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Check out "Blazing Telecasters". Of course he was nice to Tom.

Smokin OP likes this.
  6. dlew919

Love blazing telecasters and its sequel. Tom is a great player in his own right. Yes. Danny likes him and was nice to him.

7. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Roy Buchanan was a strong influence on Danny Gatton.
    I think everyone is humbled by Roy.

8. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I've heard rumors for years that the guys in the Hellecasters weren't all that "humbled".

That stuff is promotional talk. I'm sure the real Danny Gatton didn't go around "cutting heads".

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree with DG, Lenny Breau should have been known as The Humbler.

nojazzhere and rand z like this.
  10. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Long before The Humbler was released, I had read the story about Amos Garrett having a bootleg of Danny, as stated above. I remember when Danny was a guest on the American Music Shop, a great show on the old Nashville Network. Vince Gill was the host for the show & had Albert Lee along with Danny as guest. When Danny would take a solo, you could see Vince & Albert, no slouches in their own right, intently watching him burn effortlessly through the tunes. Like him or not, Danny Gatton had an understanding of music & technique on the guitar that was very special. So sad that didn't transfer to his personal or professional life. Blazing Telecasters is one of my favorite recordings with Danny. His straight up jazz playing was amazing as well.

nojazzhere, willie ray and dlew919 like this.
  11. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Danny probably didn't 'humble' that many players perhaps in part because he didn't travel much. He didn't really like to leave DC, and that's also why people outside the Televerse didn't really know him. In the 90s a friend of mine was a bartender at Gallagher's on Capitol Hill, and I would go watch Danny play in a jazz quartet on Wednesday nights. Best Tele player in the world then and he's in a bar with 15 people, and 14 of them are paying no attention. Me, I would pull up a chair in front of him and just watch with mouth agape. He's was then and still is to me the only player I ever saw who I felt wasn't just playing a collection of licks and tricks, but was streaming his musical consciousness. If he had a thought, he could just play it.

richiek65, ftbtx, nojazzhere and 6 others like this.
  12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

One of my fav album's of all time is "New York Stories."

Danny is paired with Roy Hargrove and other contempory jazz player's.

It's simply a fantastic album and was meant to be a possible direction/categorization for someone who had a hard time selling his amazing talent.

(He was just TOO GOOD... and we've all know people who's genius was never really appreciated or understood because it defied category.)

The last song on the album is "One For Lenny."

At one point in the song, the other instruments fade away and Danny is left alone, taking you on a journey through a landscape of guitar mystery and mastery.

There are slurs, glissandos, arpeggios amidst single note runs... all done lightning fast. Then a be-bob section of eastern style bends that is just beautiful!!

IMO, it's just pure sonic, guitar playing at it's very best!!!! (And his tribute to his late friend Lenny Breau.)

Danny could do a lot of things with a guitar. Sometimes, maybe a bit "over the top."

But, I really believe that this album, and this song, to be the HIGH WATER mark of his career.

I'd like to see someone transcribe it, note for note.

Any taker's?!?!?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  13. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Coincidentally, I have this playing right now. I listen to it almost daily and always hear something new.

Smokin OP likes this.
  14. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just, wow!

Cheers,
    Doug

richiek65 likes this.
  15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I appreciate the talent and skill, but man that style of music does not move me at all. Everyone on that stage is a better guitar player than my favorite guitar players,just not into the songs.

Skully, Rufus and brookdalebill like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Without having any real personal knowledge, I would think the term "Humbler" was bestowed on Danny by others as a tribute to his playing, not for deliberate "head cutting". As many incredibly talented musicians, Danny could be expected to have a certain amount of ego about his abilities, but from the interviews with him I've seen and read, he seemed to be somewhat "humble" about himself. It's just so SAD that he ultimately was so unhappy and couldn't go on.
    One of my favorite CDs is Relentless.....Danny with Joey DeFrancesco on B3. I love that Hammond organ almost as much as I love good Telecaster playing, so this is the best of both worlds.
    I'm humbled, not by "competing" with Danny Gatton, but just by listening to what he could do.

dlew919, rand z, Slip Kid and 2 others like this.
  17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly.

Go to the 4 minute mark and listen to my favorite Gatton solo...so many ideas in such a short time. I think it hangs with Parker, Coltrane or anyone else.

dlew919 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

What's interesting and cool is that Danny was a humble guy...Humbler or not.

dlew919, djh22, Dr Improbable and 2 others like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I often don't care much for "gnat note" solos.....but this one is great!

dlew919 and elihu like this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I literally can't think as fast as those guys are picking.

dlew919, djh22 and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.