The Humble 12ax7: Or, how much am I overthinking things?

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Also, @Boomhauer don't feel bad about messing up a tube getting it into/out of that Vox AD30VT. I don't know if I've ever seen a guitar amplifier with a less conveniently located tube. Also, I don't think I'd spring for a $50 NOS tube to put in that Vox. Not really sure it'd be audibly different than a $20 JJ.

The Ibanez TSA5 looks more like something where the "flavor" of your 12AX7 (a 12AY7 or 5751 would also work in this position) and 6V6 will matter/be audible.

Boomhauer

Friend of Leo's
Little update - I bought a pair of 12ax7s and used one of each to replace the tube in both the Vox AD30VT and the Ibanez TSA5. The popping/distortion in the Vox amp that I was having issues with was nearly immediately resolved with the new tube. I can now flip between amp models while playing and have no issues! Not that I'd ever really do that; I just wanted to to make sure I could.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
A lower cost source for some potentially pretty good US made spares is Tube Depot’s ‘used’ section. Brands and wear vary (their pick) and they aren’t matched but 12Axx types are around $10 and you can specify low noise/low microphonics for an extra $4.