The House Finally Feels Good!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I was noticing yesterday how good the house felt. The upstairs was a bit cooler, I did not feel "trapped by the heat". Man, I must have finally gotten the vents adjusted just right! Warmer downstairs, let the upstairs where the bedrooms / my office are be a bit cooler. Perfect!

After work, I was running some errands. My wife called me, and said "Unixfish, I don't think the furnace is working. It only comes on for about 5 minutes, and it is blowing cool air." Ah. No wonder I though it felt good - we lost heat. Again.

I called this morning, and a tech is coming out soon. Our furnace is 25 years old, and has always been junk. It is the unit the builder put in when they built our house. I have probably spent $3,500 keeping it running and replacing parts over the years. We had planned to replace it for the last few years, but life and life and life. It looks like the universe is playing this hand for us. No fix will be made - we are replacing this POS. At least the fan works - we are running our gas fireplace and using the furnace fan to distribute heat. The house is warm. I was able to manually light it and run it last night to warm the house before bed.

So, what do we all just love? A large, unexpected bill right before the holidays!

On the bright side - we have the money. I was not planning gear purchases. This is just inconvenient.

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yep, sometimes you just to to bite the bullet.
Hope they can get to it soon for you.

Winky

Tele-Holic
If it is any comfort, I find completing house repairs to be very satisfying. To know something is now in good condition and working/functioning as it should, and that it should be fuss-free for years, lowers my stress levels. We've done things like new heating, putting on a new roof, repairing a deck etc. These things don't "improve" the house from when it was new, but bring it back into good condition. I like that.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If it is any comfort, I find completing house repairs to be very satisfying. To know something is now in good condition and working/functioning as it should, and that it should be fuss-free for years, lowers my stress levels. We've done things like new heating, putting on a new roof, repairing a deck etc. These things don't "improve" the house from when it was new, but bring it back into good condition. I like that.

You know, I agree. We got a roof 6 years ago, and we do need new windows and a new floor in the kitchen. Next year. It feels good when parts / items are new.

We have been thinking about windows for a while now, but my daughter and I both work from home, and she cannot have a lot of noise or anyone in her office when she is working (she is a mental health counselor, running sessions over Zoom). This really limits when we can get work done.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
We've been in our house for 20+ years now.
It's been a steady stream of replacing all the "contractor grade" stuff when it breaks.
Both upstairs bathrooms. Complete re-do.
Furnace and AC replaced.
Carpet ditto.
Garage doors. Water heater. Lighting fixtures.
Then of course washer and dryer.
Now we need a new bed and my easy chair is wearing out ...

There is no end. But you have to realize you're "building equity" and bite the proverbial bullet.
We paid off our mortgage recently, so at least all this is "ours."

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
It could always be worse. It could have failed during a blizzard with single digit temperatures. Happy New Furnace Day to you when it gets here. Cross that one off the list and start working on the next thing. That's how life happens.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We got a quote. Ouch. Oh well. We scheduled an installation for this Friday. At least the furnace fan works, and we can heat the house with our gas fireplace and use the fan and cold air returns to keep everything warm. We actually had to shut it off earlier today because it was getting too warm.

And yeah. Like @Nightclub Dwight said, at least it is not single digits this week.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
suggesting a Carbon Monoxide sensor just in case something goes wrong with the gas fireplace.

Somebody fact check this, please:
CO is a very light gas and distributes itself quickly throughout the air of a room. As in, a CO sensor needn't be placed on the ceiling or high on the wall like you would a smoke detector.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
suggesting a Carbon Monoxide sensor just in case something goes wrong with the gas fireplace.

CO is a very light gas and distributes itself quickly throughout the air of a room. As in, a CO sensor needn't be placed on the ceiling or high on the wall like you would a smoke detector.
I heartily agree. Ours saved us once.
And remember to put fresh batteries in when you fire up the furnace every year.
When our boys were in Scouts, they had to do that every year. Now that they're gone ...

kuch

Friend of Leo's
We got a quote. Ouch. Oh well. We scheduled an installation for this Friday. At least the furnace fan works, and we can heat the house with our gas fireplace and use the fan and cold air returns to keep everything warm. We actually had to shut it off earlier today because it was getting too warm.

And yeah. Like @Nightclub Dwight said, at least it is not single digits this week.
When our furnace went out a couple of years ago, I made sure that the contractor we chose signed the quote and I had him write in that the work would be completed by date x/xx/xx and installed in 1 day.
I used to work in the construction industry and it's important these days to protect yourself.

Good luck with the furnace

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire

A little late to answer, but I see it never did get answered.

The trick answer is yes and no. CO does distribute itself throughout a space like you describe. It doesn't really act like a smoke, but it is slightly lighter than air and will elevate in warm air. It is common practice to place a detector about 6 feet from any device that can produce CO gas. The actual height isn't really important, but it does not need to be on the floor either. I place them where convenient around waist to chest high.

Most important locations are around the furnace, fireplace, and in the bedrooms.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
So, what do we all just love? A large, unexpected bill right before the holidays!

On the bright side - we have the money. I was not planning gear purchases. This is just inconvenient.

Earlier this year the property owners association forced me to replace driveway. I could have retained a lawyer and fought it but it was pay a lawyer or a contractor. It wasn’t even close to being on my list.

It was okay. I have sort of an escrow savings for home repairs. I just used it to repair some siding.

Easy come, easy go.

Last edited: