The horror...of google drive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, so this isn't really meant to be a bashing of google. We use it a LOT at school, and Google Docs, Google Classroom, etc. has been a godsend for facilitating student collaboration, reducing paper consumption, etc. BUT:

The files...
    [​IMG]

They just keep piling up...or maybe it's more like they just keep sinking to the bottom of the well like dead leaves. If I run a search for Files Shared with me, HUNDREDS, nay THOUSANDS of files pop up: spreadsheets and slide presentations that I have NO idea about, shared for reasons I can't begin to fathom, by students whom I don't even know. Academic affairs docs, letters to students from club leaders and administration, etc. etc. And that doesn't even take into account the stuff I make myself which I've completely forgotten, in folders I've completely forgotten--and shared with God Knows WHO. Folders are basically meaningless in this environment, because anything can be saved anywhere. Hell, you don't even have to SAVE anything yourself, so who knows where it is? If you want a doc, you don't browse folders; you search by name, or by who made it, or by date or type or if you thought to "star" it. And when you're done with it? You just don't click on it anymore. Out of sight, out of mind!

The problem isn't really about getting things done, though I'm sure at least one of my long-suffering colleagues is sick of repeatedly sending me links to the same files. :oops:

It's just that every once in a while I can't help thinking about the petabytes of orphan files that must be filling up the google drive servers. Stuff that was glanced at once and (of course) never deleted. NEVER DELETED. I think about stuff like, what percentage of documents currently on google servers haven't been opened again since the day they were created, stuff that has slipped completely from the memories of any human who might know or care about its existence, half-started slide presentations, photos of events that nobody cares about anymore, middle school basketball game videos from 2015, just an endlessly accelerating accumulation of cruft.

Vertiginous...
    [​IMG]

and then I need to sit in a quiet spot with a cold cloth on my forehead....

pedro58, Badger06, Toto'sDad and 5 others like this.
  2. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Yeah..we have to use it at work

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hardly even use it...but your concern is enough to cause me to share your disdain for undeleted google drive files!

4. Jupiter

Disdain, no! It's a deep concern and unease bordering on nausea! It's Sartrean!
    [​IMG]

marc2211 and william tele like this.
  5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

At least most of those forgotten Google Drive files are in private accounts where they can't bother anyone. Think of all the orphaned web pages out there, half-created in a rush of energy when ISPs were giving away web space and still sitting there a decade or two later, just waiting for some ill-advised web search to dredge them up again.

Badger06 and Jupiter like this.
  6. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

You're using Google Drive?

[​IMG]

rze99 and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

click the dealybobber that has do with ownership... like owned by me or shared with me or not shared with me... and you know, use the google window...

8. Jupiter

Yeah, I know how to survive in this environment. I work in it literally daily. The point is, google drive is designed in a way that encourages creation of (virtual) tons of throwaway files, and there's basically no reason to ever clean that stuff up, and it's all piling up underneath us like a Coachella portapotty...

I'm not lost; I'm "Soylent Green is people!"

Flakey and Tommy Biggs like this.
  9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

What a mess.
    Why does your school not use a document management system and some simple rules?
    Even basic Sharepoint would be better.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

RLee77 likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Because, we have google drive...

scrapyardblue and Flakey like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Didn't I see the other day that they are making the file system better?

Part of this is your own discipline on binning it on receipt. If you put every piece of posted paper junk mail in your paper filing cabinet unopened you would have the same issue?

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It's going to be hard to extract and improve but unless you do, it will get continually worse until you have a serious data breach, eg of a confidential health document,.when there will be ramifications for the Governors.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It’s really only a virtual clutter, though... not a real world “mess”, just magnetic bits of ones and zeroes, the clutter is only within your own mental visualization.

One good EMP is what you need, clean slate it...

15. Jupiter

ExACTLY. I mean, except that EMP part...o_O

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I get torn all over here. I not only have to use it but I'm an admin for G Suite and Azure/365. Fortunately my day job is the Microsoft side. An unfortunate part of the G Suite admin is I do it as community giving for a nonprofit where it's even harder to supervise and train those using it.

FWIW: A lot of users need to learn or have some emphasis on putting their shared work in shared space - not share out your own stuff. It looks like many administrators and organizations fail to use or fail on cleanup and using "Team" drives.

This is coming from an Alphabet (Google) stockholder but administering and using both, I can't say enough good about Microsoft by comparison. The features, and support are superior.

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Google has been deliberately moving away from a normal file directory format for users for years now. Microsoft has just followed their lead. For a good example of how bad a "key word search only" interface is, try to find any documentation for help for any google product or development tools, etc... OMG what a horrible mess. Random and redundant and/or outdated pages with dead ends, no menus or directories, etc... Maybe iOS is to blame. I don't know. I just know I don't like it. It inspires file saving and dumping in random places without care or knowledge where.

[​IMG]

18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The whole "directory" thing fails above a given size, Search works better, google knows this and it works for them since they're good at search.

I used to work on security products for Google Drive.. it has very little security/protection/organization out of the Box and Google decided they'd rather let other companies add that on.

Without extra tools added on it's pretty dangerous at the enterprise/institutional level.. it's extremely easy for sensitive data to be leaked out through sharing.

It is completely banned and blocked where I work now.

imwjl likes this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, AIP2 is a strong argument against Google.

To other comments I see some of my users figure out Microsoft still has old school folder structures they recognize. Some people who've mostly known Google feel lost.

A lot more people need to get savvy to data leaks and sharing. My worst nightmares are often what the c suite staff does with their power. When I do a periodic report of sharing and guest users I face execs who go two ways - they mostly see me as being difficult and a few see it and get scared.

Security, training and policy are big challenges when many can't or won't digest more than a tweet.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I use it at work and personally and just make directories for what I need... There are a ton of files and I use the team drive thinger for group stuff.... The only person who has asked about 'cleaning it up' or whatever has been my mother in law... she thought it cost more to have more files and I told her... ahhh... I got you....

I like having all my stuff searchable in one spot... because, well, I'm an idiot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.