1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Hoof by EQD: First discovery

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Seasicksailor, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Close to 6-7 years ago, I got the the Hoof fuzz by Earthquaker Devices. I'd heard good things about it and got it on a whim from my local shop (bargain as a display model).
    I went home and tried it with a couple of my teles. I couldn't get a half-decent sound out of it. It was either a fizzy non-distinct mess with the tone up, or a woofy muddy mess with the tone low. I didn't see what the 'fuzz' was all about (hohoho).

I thought about returning it but decided to keep it and try again later. I never tried it again. It was just stored away for years.

Then, just today, I saw @OzShadow 's thread about the fuzz in terms of pedal order, and I remembered the Hoof existed in my collection (Thanks!!!).

So, I got the Hoof out and tried it again. And guess what? It still sounded like total crap with my teles (to my ears anyway) no matter what I did with all the knobs.

BUT, since the first time I tried it, I acquired an SG with humbuckers (t-top style). And guess what? It sounds GLORIOUS! It cleans up beautifully with the guitar volume lowered on the neck pickup (away with the fizz but in comes the sustain), and at full guitar volume on the bridge, there is still note definition. And I'm talking pretty extreme settings (volume at noon, Fuzz on full, tone 3 o'clock, shift 9 o'clock).

I'm not sure why this is happening... but I guess the Hoof doesn't like single coils? Or perhaps low output pickups? Although the SG humbuckers are low output too relatively speaking.

Either way, I'm glad I didn't return the Hoof all those years back.

Wow! I talk a lot! :confused:

Daytona.57 likes this.
  2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The Hoof is just a Russian Muff. And, that circuit works well with single coils. I'm not sure why you were not able to get suitable results with your Tele.

3. Seasicksailor

No idea! It could be just a taste thing, and I guess it would depend on what is meant by 'works well'. I suspect there are just too many variables at play to figure it out.

4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

As mentioned above, it's a muff style pedal and works just fine with single coils. What's odd about your experience is that this fuzz has a "shift" knob (mid-control) which really works great in that pedal. Set it one way and it cuts through like a good Russian style muff does. Set it the other way and it becomes a thick, woolly cacophony of fuzz. Strange you couldn't get a good sound out of it with single coils but hey...you don't like what you don't like.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  5. Seasicksailor

What surprised me the most was the much better clean-up of the HBs vs the single coils when lowering the guitar volume. I've never experienced that before with other overdrive or distortion. If I remember correctly, muffs are not famous for cleaning up nicely when lowering the volume but it just seems to work with the HBs.

6. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I've got a very early big box three knob one. No shift knob and I haven't played it over 15 years. It's a decent pedal but all my dirt basically comes from my amp and my pedals do things no amp can do.

7. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My entire board and amp sounds different with each guitar. I guess that’s why we all need more than one.

8. Seasicksailor

Good point, although I was also thinking the opposite. It might be less of a pain (but possibly also less fun) to have just the one guitar and fine tune your amp and board around that one.

I don't even want to contemplate the notion of a board and amp per guitar!! :confused:

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

How about one fuzz per guitar? :D

10. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have one of these on the way today. I haven’t been getting along with muffs because of the mid scoop but I’m hoping the shift knob helps this. Also, it’s based on a Russian muff, but doesn’t seem to be a direct clone so I’m hoping it’s a little more versatile.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I was disappointed that the Hoof, even with the mids knob, still disappeared in a band mix (a trio). Returned it pretty quick. Surprised me, because at home it seemed like it would be useful. I can run a fuzz face with no problem.

12. Seasicksailor

Even in a trio? That's odd. Is it a trio with three guitars? :p

-Hawk- likes this.
  13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I was surprised too! I’ve run a variety of fuzz faces, benders, a VL Super Fuzz, and a couple weird ones with no issues.

14. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

First impressions are I'm liking it a lot so far and the shift knob really makes it useful. I wouldn't say its 'just a Russian Muff.' They definitely used the Russian muff as a jumping off point, but its got its own thing going on for sure, especially as you move that shift knob counter clockwise. I've got a Civil War muff clone (also a Russian Muff circuit) and they're pretty different from each other, though with the shift knob moved clockwise they get more similar.

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

iT'S CLEARLY A CASE OF HAUNTED TELE SYNDROME (#13-13 x 7-11 NEW SHOES ref:eek:ther ).
    00000000000mini demon.jpg

16. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you just don’t like muff style pedals. I sure as hell don’t. Every once in a while they surprise me for power chord rhythm stuff - neck pickup, super square wave, doubled track. but in general applications I find them useless and haven’t had one on my board in like 15 years.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Did you try your tele with the switch in the middle position, or neck?

Rolling back a HB and rolling back pickups in parallel should cross over similar 'weakness' output.

I have a Azor 303, BMP clone and it works with rollback. Maybe internal EQ in the hoof?

18. Seasicksailor

I must say I'm kind of coming around on this... got some nice tones with my teles today. Rather confused... oh well...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.