The Holy Grail: How Do I Get Controlled Feedback?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, May 6, 2019.

1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

How do I get it out of a 5e3? Like this:

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t hear a 5E3 there, and I might not know how to get there with a 5E3. When that was recorded, two of the guitarists were playing Peavey Mace amps.....Steve Gaines sometimes used a Fender TR before deciding on the Mace. a. Collins used a Marshall Md 1959 Super Lead.
    Interestingly, Gary Rossington later used a Fender Pro Sonic. I was thinking while listening that the Pro .sonic would go there....as would a Super Champ. The Super Champ will do that high harmonic sustain to a tee.
    I don’t hear a cathode biased amp thing going on there.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Gain (or overdrive or boost pedal), volume, place yourself in a sweet spot in front of a speaker. I find it easier to get there with humbuckers.

uriah1 and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.
  4. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

Besides what perttime mentions, an EQ pedal might also help by boosting the frequencies most prone to feeding back.

As to the Skynyrd record, there isn't a huge amount of distortion in the sound. The amp was probably turned up really loud with him (Steve Gaines with a Strat?) standing in front of the speaker(s).

There are also some "tricks" that can be used in the studio to get feedback without turning up the actual amp to ridiculous levels.

It's hard to tell what amps they were actually using in the studio. Probably not the same ones they used live.

GoldDeluxe5E3 and perttime like this.
  5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

There's pedals that produce sustain/feedback, and then (what's it called?) sustainiac pickups that generate feedback in the guitar itself.

6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Digitech Freqout?

There is a common issue with these that they get put on pedalboards then there is dissapointment with the result. This is because they use 235mA and unless you realise this and feed it enough power they won't work properly. But essentially it is the answer to your question.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Take it to the next level, like Fripp did on 'Heros':

"Everyone who's played the song with Bowie since then has had to use an E-bow to duplicate it, but Fripp had a technique in those days where he measured the distance between the guitar and the speaker where each note would feed back. For instance, an 'A' would feed back maybe at about four feet from the speaker, whereas a 'G' would feed back maybe three and a half feet from it. He had a strip that they would place on the floor, and when he was playing the note 'F' sharp he would stand on the strip's 'F' sharp point and 'F' sharp would feed back better. He really worked this out to a fine science, and we were playing this at a terrific level in the studio, too. It was very, very loud, and all the while he was playing these notes — that beautiful overhead line — Eno was turning the dials and creating a new envelope and just playing with the filter bank. We did three takes of that, and although one take would sound very patchy, three takes had all of these filter changes and feedback blending into that very smooth, haunting, overlaying melody which you hear."

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-david-bowie-heroes

I believe that Ted Nugent does something similar on stage.

bender66, aerhed and nojazzhere like this.
  8. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Use hollow or semi, stand close to amp, turn toward the amp, pivot slowly in and out of the sweet spot~kinda fun when controlled:)

I don't think feedback is amp specific.

Paul in Colorado, dannyh and rogb like this.
  9. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, used to do that with my 339, it's a lot of fun!

10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

You just need a little more volume with a solid body.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of gain and / or boost, PLENTY of volume and just stand where it hurts.

I do have a feedbacker patch in my Boss GT100 that works surprisingly well... press it and it builds feedback... quite neat but the real thing is more fun.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I can plug my ‘strat’ with a Lil ‘59 in the bridge straight in to my Super Champs...either one....and get that harmonic feedback at any time I want it. One secret....run the amp hot. Same thing with the Pro Sonic...except it will be a little bit louder. If I run the Pro Sonic in the solid state rectifier/fixed bias mode, it will be quite a bit louder.
    Fwiw, at a much lower volume, one can get that harmonic sustain thing on an unamplified acoustic guitar if one wants to do so. Yes, acoustics can rock...acoustically.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Amp volume. Judicious use of TS - I find mids to be the key to controllable feedback.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

A ts or 2 cranked and walk toward your amp with PU facing it...enjoy

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can do it with my Single coil Tele + Orange Rocker 15 without the volume being all that loud, it will do it with the Attenuator on even.

Turning on the Big Muff makes it a lot easier, but my Tube Screamer can facilitate it too.

I normally play with the gain on the amp only a little past noon, so not super high.. either of those pedals will let me get feedback if I stand 2-3 feet away from the amp. Walk away or play with the guitar volume and I can kick it in and out.

16. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

If your gain is right on the edge sometimes you can get it to start by tapping the wood of the guitar. Search around till you find the spots where knocking it with your knuckles does the trick. If you touch the wood of the guitar to the amp cabinet, sometimes that gets it going. So far, you are not out of control, you haven't embarrassed yourself, good. Now a little more gain should give you what you want without having everything run away from you.

When you find the right amount of gain and the right place to stand, quit moving around and enjoy it.

17. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Volume is the easiest and most natural way of doing it.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The lil 59 is great for that. I can even get a hint of feedback from a tiny Blackstar fly 3 using the lil 59 in my tele. Even with the volume up just over half.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Zendrive will do this trick, too.

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.