1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The HGTV life... demolition day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Apr 20, 2021.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

OK. I’m retired now and to maintain peace in the valley I consented to a renovation. That means I do the office and third floor and other odds and ends on a house we’ve lived in for 43 years. The house was more than 60 when we bought it. My wife wants the living room, dining room, and TV room redone. Get rid of old ceiling fixtures and tear down the ceilings to try to get an additional inch or two in height. Get the stucco off the walls. Put all new LED lighting in the ceiling with swivels to illuminate paintings.

So this is like HGTV except I have to foot the bill. And like HGTV, everything goes smoothly until the work begins. Water damage was from the lead pipe from the toilet getting funneled out. Replace it. What looked like water damage to beams wasn’t. It was fire damage. The contractor who did the upstairs bathroom nailed scrap over the damage and built a bathroom that now has to be rebuilt because removing fire damage caused the floor to sag. There’s BX cable cut and left in place. No one can surmise why. Some of it’s hot. Some of it’s not. Was that the cause of the fire? The ceiling was stuccoed to hide the sins. When we moved in my wife liked it and neither of us questioned why it was that way. And. The electrician found a few heating pipes in the basement with asbestos wrapped around them. He won’t work down there until it’s gone. I may just pull that stuff out myself. Mesothelioma takes 20 years to develop and I don’t have 20 years left.

The HGTV lifestyle dam sure ain’t what it is on TV. And love it or list it doesn’t exist in the real world. And here on Long Island, I pay the property brothers, not the production company.

2. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I lived in a 100 year-old house for about 5 years. Lots of surprises, for sure. Let us know how it goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.