The hendrix chord, the beatles chord, the james bond chord...

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Cool thread. I'm sure we've all heard the clip of the guy explaining the Hard Day's Night chord.

I'm not cool or famous, but there are a few I like. For instance, I play a G7 cowboy chord like this:

The E7 like this:

The usual ones we learned from Mel Bay with the 7th note so high in the chord just don't have the same meat to them, for my ears.

I also play D and Dm like this:

2 1
3 3
2 2
0 0
0 0
2 1

C like this:

Unrelated to the Lifeson chord, I banged together a song in the 90s where the main section progressed like this:

0 0 0
8 0 0
9 9 8
9 9 9
7 7 9
0 8 7

It goes around like that a few times, during the verse. I used to play it with stereo chorus, and double tracked on the recording to really shore up the droning effect.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
The mystic chord. You can use it like a quartal voicing for a 13b5, i.e. like a Lydian dominant sound. It’s very nice, especially to end on in jazz (where you do the thing where you replace the last maj7 chord with a dominant).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_chord

A voicing for C on guitar would be like:

or (without the 9th):

x

Last edited:

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
I am not sure that is a tritone. I think those are octaves. I think you can find the tritone in the song black sabbath by guess who ?

Yes, the guitar plays Bb in alternating octaves and there's an E being played as well throughout which results in a tritone. I should have mentioned that. At least that's what I'm hearing.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Em(maj7)9 without the root (since the piece is in e min)
You can just say Em maj9 (since an 9th chord implies the 7th, and the major quality is taken to apply to the 7th).
You can play the E root on the open bottom string, of course. But if you hear the whole intro it should be implied nicely anyway.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
G demolished.

Be careful, or your hand may end up like this:

Tangled-Fingers.jpg

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
e----
b--7-
g--8-
d--9-
a-10-
e----

It probably has a name. i don't know it though. It is the chord you can hear at the end of the james bond theme.

at 2'41

I play this chord on the first four strings as follows:

x
x

This can be thought of as a B chord with the low F# raised a half step to G.

Last edited:

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Names like "The Hendrix Chord" are detrimental to players because they never learn that it's a 7#9 chord. Saying "play the Hendrix Chord" to group of serious players is like admitting you're a chump before the drum even clicks off the first downbeat.

It always amazes me that guitar is the only instrument where people actually believe that a lack of knowledge is better for their playing. Well, maybe harmonica too.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Names like "The Hendrix Chord" are detrimental to players because they never learn that it's a 7#9 chord. Saying "play the Hendrix Chord" to group of serious players is like admitting you're a chump before the drum even clicks off the first downbeat.

It always amazes me that guitar is the only instrument where people actually believe that a lack of knowledge is better for their playing. Well, maybe harmonica too.
Well, if the aim is to play music, it is probably clearer to say play that hendrix chord, instead of play that 7#9. A lot less explaining to do, and bam, you can jam.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Speaking of Beatles chords, what is the opening chord of the song “All I’ve Gotta Do” on the “With the Beatles” album?

It's a nice one isn't it?? And complicated enough to be difficult to decode by ear. According to the Beatles Scores book (which is a great resource but isn't always right) it is Eaug add 9 add 11... x76575 (E G# C F# A). I've tried that and it doesn't sound right -- the C natural doesn't feel right.
On the other hand the excellent Alan W Pollack Notes On... page says it's a C#aug with an E on the bass (E C# F[= E#] A[= Gx]), which I'd play x7x665.
Just ignoring the bass note and playing augmented triads on the top 3 strings, a C#aug definitely sounds better than Caug -- so I'd go with Mr Pollack's analysis.