The hardest part of sitting in "as a guest" with a church band?

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
If I play with new musicians or at another church, I show up and tread lightly and keep my mouth shut.... For the first 15 minutes (keeping my mouth shut is obviously not my superpower, but hey, neither is indifference).

I agree with one of the earlier posts that often church groups suck. But I also think that its possible for musicians of limited knowledge and experience to play great music. It really comes down to listening to the other instruments, finding your space and economizing what you have to offer.

Most bad musicians don't necessarily suck at playing, they suck at listening and at editing themselves. Ask me how I know, ha ha.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
If I play with new musicians or at another church, I show up and tread lightly and keep my mouth shut.... For the first 15 minutes (keeping my mouth shut is obviously not my superpower, but hey, neither is indifference).

I agree with one of the earlier posts that often church groups suck. But I also think that its possible for musicians of limited knowledge and experience to play great music. It really comes down to listening to the other instruments, finding your space and economizing what you have to offer.

Most bad musicians don't necessarily suck at playing, they suck at listening and at editing themselves. Ask me how I know, ha ha.
Some might be shy and bashful, intimidated by large groups
or other anxiety driven issues.

Have you noticed how some players profusely sweat
when they are on stage?

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
My friends from my former Church asked me to come sit in with them at their New church. fun ~ Since I haven't played in a church in a year and half: of course I said yes.

The big question: Do I just show up and keep my mouth shut?

Or do I bring my 30 years of experience and education to the mix? (with an open mouth)

What say you all? I love showing up and saying nothing ~ just pickin'. But often that leads to horrendous trainwrecks and simply BAD music. In my experience: there's almost always a simple solution and quick adjustments to be made during rehearsal. But there' s also fragile egos and lazy organization that doesn't like being called out. Not necessarily my problem.

I'll start:
"Sir, your amps too loud".
"Actually, your band is too quiet for the type of music you're trying to make".
`
As one who regularly sits in with others some suggestions.
First off i run tube amps it's not open for debate I run a real amp or don't play. That said i have several rigs from a couple 50 watt tube high gain heads and bigger cabs to my smaller rigs and if need be a Ax Track little iso cab for true silent stage. I play to the environment and for example can get my little Mesa Subway Rocket down to levels that you can talk over mic it and blow you mind with FOH tone.
Like here and you would never known the amp was on stage and miced in the front row here because the stage level is so low but it's hammering in the mains. Had to be the in ear monitors failed here so couldn't hear the rest of the band if I was up loud on stage.

On the other hand I can Grab my US PRS Archon head and one of my larger cabs and play outdoors unmiced. Don't be a hard head run what fits the job!
Second you there to support the band so listen to what they are doing and play to them. If you have suggestions then present them politely and then abide with what they come back with. Your in THEIR house work with them.
Overall listen and stay in the pocket do this you will have as many opportunities to play with others as you want don't and well.

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
Well, My son and I sat in with our old church band... we we're asked nicely.

After an intense (but fun) rehearsal we realized that we are DOOMED to bad lazy soundmen. My son's bass didn't make it into the P.A. (I'm pretty sure nobody even knew we had a microphone on his very quiet amp - nobody cared to request any in their monitor - always a dead giveaway). And my mic'd electric guitar probably made it into the P.A. by default of a nearby backup singers beta 57. I watched the video that they put online ---- Just freakin' weird: 80% singers, 15% piano, 4% keyboard, 1% guitar. Not my problem. Oh well. (hell no - I ain't sharing it)

During the setup we asked for more piano in our monitor. The soundman insisted it was FULL TO THE MAXXXXX. I asked him where the dial was at. He said 1 o'clock. I requested 2 O'clock perhaps. Well that was a mistake of biblical proportions --- what did I think this was "Led Zeppelin at the Wembley arena?" So we played rather quiet just so we didn't lose the pianist. (no drums this week thank goodness)

Anyway - fun to hang out with some old friends, but musically: total waste of time. Not worth repeating. I can hang out with Ol' friends without lugging large amounts of gear up the stairs and into the van.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sorry about the experience @GoldieLocks .
I understand the decision to not send feedback to the mixing board operator.
Learning to step away and find better places to share - valuable skill - with me, it's still a work in progress.
Peace - Deeve

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
@GoldieLocks .. Thanks for the update. At least you went out to play and help. Poorly trained soundmen aka "they don't want to be told" how to mix FOH and monitors.
You had to mic the bass amp? Sorry about that.
Playing with monitor wedges? That's rough.
Hopefully as churches in Canada are opening up, you will get some invites or new opportunities to play.

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
Hopefully as churches in Canada are opening up, you will get some invites or new opportunities to play.
Thanks Bud.
We're still looking for a local church to join full-time. Not having much luck - between Theology and Music... churches are slim pickings (even though there's a 100 in my city). My wife works at the biggest Mega-church in town. But we don't need to go there. They're doing great without us (they also require musicians to play at up to 5 services per week. I'm a truck driver. I ain't got time for that).

We're just looking for a rowdy little city church that preaches the Bible and likes to make noise. Hopefully soon. Then I can attend till they kick me out --- or expect me to worship the Arch-angel of inclusion and social consciousness and His Holy bride/mother/sister.

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
Thanks Bud.
We're still looking for a local church to join full-time. Not having much luck - between Theology and Music... churches are slim pickings (even though there's a 100 in my city). My wife works at the biggest Mega-church in town. But we don't need to go there. They're doing great without us (they also require musicians to play at up to 5 services per week. I'm a truck driver. I ain't got time for that).

We're just looking for a rowdy little city church that preaches the Bible and likes to make noise. Hopefully soon. Then I can attend till they kick me out --- or expect me to worship the Arch-angel of inclusion and social consciousness and His Holy bride/mother/sister.
You stuck in the Canadian capital without diesel? Lots of things I'd like to say, but the mods would probably not like it much........

My wife and son and I have gone back to the church that my wife and I first attended when we got married. I started playing there after a long hiatus, and I'm having fun despite the fact that they do a lot of the vacuous shimmer verb pablum. They also do some rootsy stuff from time to time and I get to pull out my mandolin which keeps me happy, (along with throwing in some Albert King licks in the midst of all the shimmer) :p. Hope you find somewhere you fit soon:)