The hardest part of sitting in "as a guest" with a church band?

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It's almost like they're being less than honest when they say "come as you are". When they get to know you, they're like, "well maybe you could fake it a little"......
A Genuine come as you are invitation is an expression of Deep Love and acceptance (imo) & should be recognized as such.
:D

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
Yep. I generally hate when MOST people give me a recording. Because seldom do they really (really) listen to them. And that's okay - if they are honest about it." . . .

I've never given people a recording or sent them to a youtube vide, for example, thinking they were going to pick a part and play it note for note. It' more of a feel thing. What does the song sound like, what's the feel, etc.? Maybe that's because many people I've played with in worship bands either couldn't or didn't want to get it exactly like the recording. I've learned to be flexible; I work out in advance one part that I think will work. Then I try to play whatever actually works on Sunday morning. Which might not be anything like what I worked out in advance.

I have worked with people who wanted everything note for note according to some recording. I learned to either not give them one at all or make sure I gave them a recording that I thought everyone in the band could approximate. And one on which I liked the part I thought they'd pick to learn. ;)

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
In a new setting I like to find out what the band is hoping to have me add.
Should I lay back and just bump up the chorus?
Want me to play the melody, do unison lines with violin or flute?
Would you like riffs and fills?
Those are the kind of questions I would ask. My goal is to always add something without stepping on any toes;)

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
@GoldieLocks, I don’t think I have the chops you have. When I sit in, it truly is as a guest being allowed into the group. I do, however, have 20+ years playing in church bands. And, because of my previous travels, have had the opportunity to sit in with a half dozen bands, not really my own. The longest was for the best part of 3 years (by that time I was no longer sitting in, obviously, but it still was not my home congregation).

In my experience, I mostly just listened, and tried to fill in parts they didn’t have filled. I offered opinions when I was asked. I never held back, per se, but was diplomatic if I thought something really sucked. I was there as a guest. After a bit, I would feel better about making suggestions. “Hey, I think it might be cool if x took the lead there”, or “ could I try this here?”.

Your situation is a bit different in that you are sitting in with a group that you more or less played with before. If I went back to central IL and back to that church and was allowed to sit in again, I might be a bit more vocal about my opinions from the get go, assuming most of the folks were the ones I played with before.

I’m feeling that they have a style before I get there, and that will pretty much exist after I leave. Not up to me to change much. But that is just me.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
If you are just being invited to “sit in” , you are there as a guest . I would refrain from sharing your “ vast knowledge “ unless they ask for it. Go there and bring your best chops and an attitude of a servant . If you are asked your opinion , share it in a way that will edify and build up , not from a place of pride and a critical spirit , but from humility . Like has been said already , let your instrument be your voice.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
If you are just being invited to “sit in” , you are there as a guest . I would refrain from sharing your “ vast knowledge “ unless they ask for it. Go there and bring your best chops and an attitude of a servant . If you are asked your opinion , share it in a way that will edify and build up , not from a place of pride and a critical spirit , but from humility . Like has been said already , let your instrument be your voice.

Magic words--"Attitude of a servant."

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
It appears some of you have very very low expectations of church music. You are right ~ I should probably do the same. You convinced me. Maybe I shouldn't even bother bringing a tuner... :lol:

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
BC must be opening up !!

Dude, you are so close. 5 1/2 hour drive to come visit and jam... I'll see if Biden and Trudeau can make an exceptional peace treaty for a few weeks from now. (My wife's best friend's parents live in Camas - we've visited them a few times. She lives in Vancouver WA)

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
It appears some of you have very very low expectations of church music. You are right ~ I should probably do the same. You convinced me. Maybe I shouldn't even bother bringing a tuner... :lol:

You assume too much. Most of us in my worship band were or are in gigging bands . To me talent comes second . If it were first , I know plenty of people who could make the music better. The church, not so much . At least not in their present condition. Making talent not the most important thing doesn’t mean it’s unimportant. Lol.

Last edited:

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
Though you will no doubt have to adjust your tuning to match the piano

YES. I previously spent a year trying to explain to the band that they actually needed to tune to the SET piano. I got blank looks and nobody EVER bothered... even though the piano was out by a fair bit. How dare I open my big mouth. :confused:

mRtINY

Friend of Leo's
Well, be a guest. Listen to the train wreck and do what you can to make the music not suck. If they are to improve, they have to ask you for help - something about a horse and water applies here....

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
How did it go?

Well...

My guitar sounded great!!! (moderate Clean tone with reverb and tremolo) Nobody dared tell me to turn down. :cool: We did a bunch of songs that I didn't know. But I like the challenge.

the rehearsals weren't long enough --- But I made us do the intros again, and again, and again, and... (I made it sound like "I" needed the practice. And I did, we all did. Sadly, It barely helped on Sunday morning) What we really needed was for all the musicians to be on the same page. Mostly. They weren't.
My wife played drums and BROUGHT IT! Solid and Raw.

Peopled welcomed us as if we were BACK... Ummmh? Not really. None of the issues we LEFT FOR have been dealt with. But it's great to see a few friendly faces and make some Gospel noise.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
I play with a bunch of different folk. Get asked to do more than I can do.
Key is come in and LISTEN listen to what the band is doing and add to it. Play to THEM dont try to lead at first if you become a regular then work to change arrangements and such. Learn what NOT to play stay in the pocket and remember less is more 90% of the time. Have fun and remember your gift will make room for you if your supposed to be there.