The Hammonator

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by motor_city_tele, Jan 24, 2016.

1. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

It's been a few years since I first proposed building/converting an organ amp into a guitar amp. It didn't matter to me which organ amp I was going to start with, I just wanted sommat better than the Ibanez practice amp I was currently using. Well I was able to score a chassis on ebay for about 50 bucks - shipped. Then I found a schematic of the same amp that had been converted into a guitar amp. It looked very daunting, but then again so did pretty much every other schematic I looked at. I figured, with the help of a seasoned expert in the family, I could have it up and running in no time.

This is the link to Forest Cook's Hammonator project.
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/hammonator1/

We put the organ amp on the bench, replaced a bad 6V6 tube, and hooked up a speaker. We turned it on and supplied it with a radio signal, it sounded pretty good. Good enough to conclude that the PT, OT, everything else was working. That night I logged into mouser.com and started building a BOM. Like a kid in a candy store. What I couldn't get from mouser, I ordered from Mod, Tube Depot, or Amplified Parts. Soon I had a couple of boxes full of stuff for the Hammonator. About that time I came across a thread advertising sommat called a 5E3 kit for a special price for TDPRI friends. I made a phone call and that day a package was heading north with my name on it. To make a long story not quite so long, I ended up building that kit, then sourcing my own parts to build another seven amps, the last being one I built strictly from a hand drawn schematic. I think it was time to dig through the shed and locate the box from mouser with the schematic and a whole bunch of stuff in it.

The first task was to strip the chassis down and remove everyting except the PT and Octal sockets.
    [​IMG]

Then I need to remove all the parts from the boards. I will be using the original turret boards. Tip #1 - apply flux to the copper braid before using it to wick away the solder on the turrets.
    [​IMG]

In the original Hammonator project, it looks as if point-to-point wiring was used. I'm not going to do it that way. I will create a layout that I can use with the two turret boards and chassis I already have.
    [​IMG]

All excess solder has been removed and all of the old parts have been tucked into a ziploc bag.
    [​IMG]

DIYLC is the tool of choice I am using to design the layout. It is free and it works on my older Dell laptop. This is the part of the project that is the most addicting to me. Taking a schematic and turning that into a layout that will be easy to build and make efficient use of space.
    [​IMG]

Here is the bread board I'll be using.
    [​IMG]

I'll post the schematic and layout files in my next post. I am running it by an expert first. A second or third set of eyes is always a good idea. This project will mounted into an homemade ash cab. I have some 4/4 ash that was milled and planed a couple years ago.

till next time - jb

2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like fun JB. I saw that project too and was inspired to turn the AO-43 into a Creme Brûlée type amp. With all the support I got from The Shock Brothers it's still in my stable of amp heads. My son used it this weekend at a gig. Very cool amp. Good luck and we will be following you!

3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hard to see here but this is the layout ImageUploadedByTDPRI1453662900.701605.jpg

4. motor_city_tele

Forest Cook's Schematic
    [​IMG]

My interpretation of the schematic, rendered into a DIYLC file. Thanx Rob for the review
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I recently pulled apart an early 70s Wurlitzer solid state organ that was having issues with the keyboards. I harvested the 8" Leslie mechanism, the amp that powers the Leslie (along with controls), and the 12" CTS speaker for the non-Leslie tones.

I haven't done anything with it yet, but I thought it would be a cool thing to compliment a small, low-watt 1x10 combo. That's about the size of the Leslie mechanism. I need to put it all together... in my spare time I suppose.

6. motor_city_tele

Alternate Recto - 5U4

I'm thinking I might want to go with a tube recto instead of solid state. I have a hand full of 5U4 tubes I could use. Does this look about right? I wouldn't be adding any additional resistors. These are just for reference to what is already there.
    [​IMG]

7. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't know if it really matters but the B+ output is normally connected to pin 8, not pin 2.

8. 5F6Animal

5F6Animal Tele-Meister

8 or 2 Rob. 8 is just on every layout known to man. The PT 5v winding complete the circuit at a very low DC resistance.

9. motor_city_tele

[​IMG]

10. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    Super cool project. Did you see this conversion ? Pretty good description of the use of the magic eye and mounting issues.

Here's the link to the discussion thread for the above amp http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108341

Following this thread, have three Hammonds on the shelf. Mine all have the older style board that look a major pain to desolder.

Good Luck !

11. motor_city_tele

I decided to stick with Forest's original design and run the 5 volt secondary in series with the primary in order to tame down the higher wall voltages. I read up a little on "bucking" the PT and figure this will be fine. I'll keep the 5U4 rectos for another time.

12. motor_city_tele

[​IMG]

13. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I couldn't remember if both 5V heater pins were connected by thick wire connections. I had to go back to this GZ34 pic and both pins do have the thick connections--you can see the thin little filament wires running up into the tubular cathodes.

[​IMG]

14. motor_city_tele

Speaker selection

The dreaded attic adventure.

I knew I would have to venture up there sooner or later. It's been 15 years or so since I dragged a couple of home made speaker cabs up there. I remember installing a 12 inch woofer along with a mid-range, and a high polymer tweeter, and a crossover into each of these heavy wooden cabs. I was going to pull the woofers and use one in my hammonator. I hauled them down and gave them a going over with the hoover before opening up the back. Immediately sommat looked wrong. The foam surrounds on the woofers did a disappearing act on me. I'll have to repair these before using them.

Hello youtube.

Wow, I never knew there were so many folks with the exact same issues.

Hello ebay. $10.19 shipped for two new surrounds that should be an exact fit.

In about a week, my two new surrounds and adhesive will be arriving and I will be attempting to bring the two old woofers back to life. Here are a couple of photos of the woofers as they look today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. motor_city_tele

I'm looking to purchase a bag or so (50+) of these little metal turrets or terminals or pins that
    have a square base that goes into a square hole and is kinda pressed into the board from the bottom. the hole is about 1/8 inch wide. this is one of the original Hammond A0-14 boards which I still plan on using. I just need more pins installed. Plus, I am creating another board that will be added to the two original boards. I suppose I could use eyelets but would rather have a turret/pin/terminal to solder to.

Every time I start trying to source these I end up getting overwhelmed with the search results and just end up
    giving up on them.

It is the primary reason I have not gone further on this project recently.

At least, can somebody tell me what these things are called?

[​IMG]
    thanx

16. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I got a hit googling "riveted solder tag", with only a couple of suppliers.

17. motor_city_tele

I think this is about as close as I'm gonna get
    [​IMG]

Mouser Part #: 534-F1M

Manufacturer Part #:F-1M

Manufacturer: Keystone Electronics

Description: Terminals .469 SOLDER LUG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  18. motor_city_tele

After a few visits back to the shock brothers, and catching up on some of the builds, I decided to get back into the spirit and revisit one of my projects. I transported most all of my guitar and amp goodies out of the shed and into my new workshop. but first, work before play.

I need to put up some lights before the season passes us by.
    [​IMG]

I decided to pass on the turrets and scrounge up sommat else to use. I have a Weller gun and a tin of flux so I didn't have a concern about using a beefy style turret. Sheet metal screws will work just fine. I just need to drill a few holes and screw 'em in from the bottom. here is about a third of the board.
    [​IMG]

another third
    [​IMG]

the last third, the power section.
    [​IMG]

I have to refer to the schematic often and the full size layout I made with that tool RobRob turned me on to. This chassis is rather wide. There is no way that this thing will fit in a 5e3 cab. I'll have to build another one down the road.
    [​IMG]

I chose to install all of the electrolytic caps on the back side to keep them away from the resisters that tend to get warm.
    [​IMG]

I still need to cut out another small board and screw in the turrets. but that will be next time.
    [​IMG]

tootles - jb

19. motor_city_tele

I thought I posted a photo of the original Hammond A0-14 amplifier at one time. prolly a different thread but no matter. Here is what I will be working with. This thing did work before I tore it apart so I am counting on the trannies and sockets being good. everything else will be replaced.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.