The guitar brand to make you put away all others (Music Man?)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Boxla, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have a 1983 Carvin LB-50 bass that I bought new & judge all other basses against, and still the only bass I own is that Carvin.

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

In a similar vein to Music Man, mine is G&L. Once I got my first ASAT, I started selling my Fenders. No point having something that doesn't get played...

3. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I have an Airline Twin-Tone, that in spite of the Strat, Tele, Duo-Sonic and Les Paul I own,
    I always go back to, for good tone. I guess it's a "organic" thing. Hey,to each his own.

4. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I have somewhat smaller hands for sure which might be why I always liked their necks. There is no doubt the neck on my Axis Super Sport is the smallest feeling neck I have ever played on a full size guitar. The closest I have is a guitar that I put a Guitar Fetish neck on. But I just assumed, no proof whatsoever, that MM necks are geared for smaller hands. (anyone know how big are EVH's hands because I believe the profile of my Axis neck is still basically the same profile he and MM came up with) I played a few JP at the store and a few used SUB and their other Indonesian made guitars and all necks felt good. I bought mine used from Reverb and I had never played an Axis or even a EVH model before. I remember the day I got it, I started to play it and the neck simply felt alien to me. It was just different and somewhat weird, then 10 min later it all changed and started feeling more comfortable. Of course I kept playing it and it felt great and that's when I grabbed other guitars their necks just felt too foreign to me. And these are guitars that I have hundreds and hundreds of hours playing.

So I guess I kind of proposed two questions with this silly thread. 1. What brand, if any, makes you feel like this? and 2. I was pointing out that I've never read so many posts by guitar owners saying how once they got a MM it made all other guitars obsolete. That was kind of my main point. I've never seen it with another brand. There's probably not an hour that goes by on the Facebook MM pages where someone doesn't post about their MM being the only guitar they now play. They would not have caught my attention as much if I didn't feel the exact same way.

5. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I haven't been around electric guitars long enough to make a good tried and true decision , but on acoustic it's a no brainier for me. CF Martin. I understand others may look at it differently.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

These are interesting observations on the EBMM typical neck shape. I also have small hands, and I was really into EBMMs for about 10 years (circa 2004-2013). I liked the narrower nut width, the more or less medium depth. But I eventually determined that they didn't work for me like @Dismalhead says. I have an RSI issue in the joint of the thumb on my left hand - the wrong neck shape and it will cramp or just plain hurt to play after only a brief amount of time. On the EBMM neck (I was primarily doing Silhouette Specials at the time) I found that I was holding my hand in a tense, almost "claw" shape that would eventually cause me issues. It was kind of eye-opening when I switched to Fender American Standards (Strat and Tele) and even though the necks were slightly wider my hand was much more relaxed. I think it's the entire EBMM geometry - neck is moved in to the right a bit, the nut width is narrow, but the string spacing is wide like a vintage Fender. The entire thing just eventually causes more problems than the narrower shape circumvents for me. I even had a couple of Albert Lees over the years, but same issue - eventually the geometry just isn't quite right for me.

Wonderful guitars - if my left hand issue hadn't gotten progressively worse over the past 5 years I would probably try the Cutlass: larger, more Strat-sized body (being Leo's old Sabre guitar shape) and the somewhat thicker but V-to-C shape might work - better position, thicker neck with less shoulder to fill out a bit/reduce the "claw" effect. But unless I find a killer used deal I probably won't take a chance on getting any guitar with longer than a 25" scale.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

For me, that brand is Logan Custom Guitars. I've played G&L ASATs (MiA and Tributes), and a laundry list of FMIC Teles and Strats, a few LPs, an SG, a PRS or two, etc. Bob once I bought my first Logan Custom, that was it.

To be fair, I've never played a Music Man. But at this point, there's little motivation to hunt one down. (I don't recall ever seeing one in the two local shops I frequent.) I'm perfectly happy with my Logan Customs, and thoroughly spoiled to the "custom" aspect of ordering a guitar from Bob Logan.
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom collection.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.