1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The guitar and you, how did it all begin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hobo mississipp, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    In fifth grade I discovered The Beatles (who were in the process of breaking up) and my teacher brought his electric guitar in a few times and played for us. I knew I'd get one someday but money was tight so I didn't bother asking.

A few years later two of my sisters got really bad/cheap acoustics and took lessons from the hippy up the street. I tried those guitars and they were terrible, besides, I wanted electric, a Tele, they spoke to me.

Years and years went by and eventually my kid wanted a guitar. Money was tight so I got him an inexpensive Fernandes strat, an amp and lessons. I oogled at the Teles, they spoke to me. He took to it like a fish to water so over the years I upgraded his guitar and amp and kept up with his lessons but money was tight. And I oogled at the Teles, they spoke to me. He always had strats and would teach me chords and riffs but I just didn't like his guitars much and wanted my own anyway, but money was tight. More years passed and he came home for a visit, he brought his Antiqua Tele with him (no laughing, it's a cool guitar!). I picked it up and he re-taught me chords. I knew that's what I needed, a Tele of my own. Money was no longer tight so I got a used MIM Standard (sold it to get my Baja). Now I have two Teles, the ones I've wanted since fifth grade because they spoke to me. Maybe some day I'll actually be able to play them too.

gorebug likes this.
  2. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Going way back to one of my earliest memories ( I may not have even started kindergarten yet), a local dance band leader lived next door. In his basement, there was a shiny Fender bass of some sort hanging on the wall and I remember being fascinated by it.

Move up about 4 or 5 years and my Dad was playing these newfangled 8 tracks in the 1972 Ford Thunderbird. One is by the Allman Brothers (Brothers and Sister), another is Elvis (Aloha from Hawaii Live), and another was Neil Diamond (Gold- Recorded Live at the Troubador). Now I'm hooked into hearing guitar sounds.

Took me a few years but I finally got my guitar at 16. (A Martin Sigma acoustic, regrettably the only guitar I've bought that I don't still have now) And off we went.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Air guitar, I could do better solos on those ....

4. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

When I was a nipper, I had a condition called Glue Ear, which left me hearing only the wax slowly moving against my eardrum. Once I was eventually diagnosed by a doctor who wasn't fooled by me being able to lipread (something I wish I could still do), I was treated and cured. After a short while of being terrified of the Hoover, I discovered a cassette of The Beatles 1967-70. Well, I Am The Walrus was a whole new world! That led me towards the guitar. I was given my mum's old guitar, built by her uncle. The glue holding the sides on was giving up, and the action was about half an inch high, but I could pretend.

Years later, I saw a clip of Golden Earring miming to Radar Love. That black Les Paul... I was sold!

5. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I think the first desire was probably when I was about 6 years old. My uncle - who was mainly a drummer - had a crappy acoustic he'd sometimes drag out when the family got together. Well instantly I was hooked. He was the cool uncle after all.
    My tenth birthday - 2000 - I finally got an acoustic guitar. I've never had another acoustic... it's just right... and it's all downhill from there!

6. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Sad to say, but it all started to me on December 8, 1980 - the day when John Lennon was killed. I was 13 back then. I was aware of The Beatles, I've had even watched "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!" on TV. To my child's eyes, they were four funny young men who played guitars and drums and all the girls seemed to went crazy for them. But it wasn't until John's death that I became intrested on their music. I borrowed their records from my dad's collection and listen to them over and over again. Finally, maybe by pure chance, me and others boys from the neighborhood put a band together. We didn't have instruments at all at the beginning - they were scarce and expensive in Uruguay in the early 80s. But nevertheless, my parents bought us guitars, an organ, and later a bass guitar. We never had a real drum kit, we managed to play some drums that were bought at the flea market. And that's how all started. And I've never stopped since then.

(I am the first one starting from your left, seated, in the bottom line of the picture. This one was taken in 1983).

02_The Brigands_Diario.JPG

Fiesta Red, Steve 78 and Ex-riverman like this.
  7. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

What are those guitars?

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

1964; 14 years old. My older sister takes a trip to Mexico and returns with a $10 nylon sting guitar. My lefty brother and I share this guitar, and even though he’s lefty and older, he leaves it strung for a right hander and learns to play upside down. We have a Nick Manoloff chord book we find in the piano bench; mom plays piano.

I found playing guitar was more enjoyable than doing homework. Learning “House of the Rising Sun” was pretty blissful. The riff to “Feel a Whole Lot Better”. Being able to play something that sounded like what you heard on the radio, that was pure magic. Never took lessons, just watched other people and studied the chord book. I was nothing special, played in a few high school groups, but got to play with a good friend who was – both his parents were bluegrass pickers and he had started at the age of 5. He was amazing. One unfortunate turn after another, though, with the Industry and one year, when I returned to my home town, I found him working at Wal Mart. That made me just about give it all up. I figured if he couldn’t make it work, probably no one could.

But I kept at it, because the jones just wouldn’t go away. I’ve always enjoyed playing, a lot of times as a refuge from the crazy world.

So that’s like over 50 years with guitars and I’m still nothing special - an ok utility player (can play bass, rhythm or lead as needed)and an ok front man – I do a credible job singing. I’ve been in a band of one kind or another for the last fifteen years and that’s helped me keep some semblance of sanity. And in this forum, I’ve found plenty of like-minded folks who make me laugh. Haven’t noticed an overabundance of humor anywhere, so I figure that’s a pretty good thing.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I heard the recording of Jorgen Ingmann & His Guitar playing the instrumental "Apache" and more or less got hooked and made me aware of guitar. That would've been in early 1961 or so. I don't remember how, but one way or other I obtained a copy of the ATCO 45 rpm single and played it (and its flip side, "Echo Boogie") a lot. It took me a few more years to get a guitar.

10. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Good question. From left to right, top line: "Black Diamond" bass guitar and guitar, both made in Uruguay in the 70s (I guess). The other is a guitar made in Brazil, the brand was "Jomadi" (I've got no further information). Mine is a KT guitar made in Taiwan - and I was proud of it! :) The organ is a Suzuki, wich barely had two or three usable sounds. And sorry, but I've forgotten the brand of the drumsticks :D Best regards.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Beatles/English invasion pushed me over the edge. I wanted drums but ended up with a Kay bass. I got in a band almost right away. I learned chords from the lead guitarist who had an old Esquire he got from his brother who was a guitarist in one of the big local bands, The Boss Todes. We had so much fun, there’s nothing so wonderful as being young and being in a band.

My parents eventually made me quit the band over failing grades. That’s another story but it didn’t get the intended result.

12. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

When I was 7 we moved from MN to the Bay Area, about 30 minutes outside of San Francisco. My dad worked for United Airlines and they closed down the Minneapolis maintenance base and gave him the choice of Hawaii, Portland, Salt Lake, Chicago or San Francisco. Best choice ever! My next door neighbor was 3 years older than me and had just bought KISS Alive! You know the rest of the story...I'm like so many. It was Ace! Then it was EVH, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie, Angus, Blackmore, and on and on and on.

McGlamRock likes this.
  13. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful area, I grew up about 30 minutes south of SF.

I expressed interest in the guitar when I was about 9 or 10 after discovering the Beach Boys. A couple years later after I discovered Nirvana, my Dad broke down and bought me $100 Fender acoustic from the local music store.

Steve Ouimette likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Bought a classical when I was 20 and it sat in the closet for about five years. Around 1985 I got into a relationship with a girl who played guitar a bit. Started taking classes, then lessons. Started using my student loans to buy gear. ;-)

15. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

February 9th, 1964. Was playing in a band by '67 (I was 15 by then). Haven't had the good sense to quit yet.

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I was about 9 or 10 when, one rainy afternoon in the summer holidays I 'borrowed' Dad's guitar and Bert Weedon Play In A Day book. I'll work my way right to the end of that book one day.:cool:

swany likes this.
  17. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Everyone had me pegged as a piano player, constant practicing, recitals etc..Then my brother got a cheap nylon string guitar and a chord book, (I think he took some lessons), I started playing it when I was 14. Two years later I was in a band playing my Tele through a Bandmaster loving life, with my best friend on bass!

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was always interested in music, but it never went anywhere... still hasn't (ba-dum). Played sax in the school band - hated it. Taught myself piano - we had a piano in the house, which I WISH hadn't disappeared in the mists of time. With zero instruction, I laboriously picked out the sheet music, and the playing, to various Beatles songs (Don't Pass Me By, Here Comes The Sun, etc.), and Beethoven's Für Elise. It took forever to get there, and I only knew how to play those few songs, nothing else, not even a little. But it was amazing to me how good I got, as a 9 year old on my own. I've forgotten those songs now, but I bet I could get them back again with a little piano time...

Then, I did nothing with music except listen, from 1967 to 2010. My son began playing everything he could get his hands on in the late 90s. He went through clarinet, to piano, to bass, and has settled on guitar.

In that vaguest of ways, I always thought I'd play 'some day'...

In 2007 I got sick. Disabled. Spent three years staring at the wall, hardly able to string a sentence together. Then, in 2010 I levelled off, surfaced a bit and began to be bored. My son had moved out, and had temporarily left his Tele and a crap practice amp at the house. And a Super Reverb.

One day I just decided to start. To see if my poor brain was up to the task. Figured if I never tried, I'd regret it at the end of my life. Like most good things, it was a pivotal "just do it" moment. Never looked back. Still can hardly listen to music without getting immediately confused, so playing with others is out, as are backing tracks most of the time. Mine is kind of an odd situation. I started older, so I missed that young period of no money. I enjoy pretty nice gear, even though many might say I don't do it justice. Well, I don't care about that. I enjoy the playing, and I enjoy the gear. That's all. I've been playing for hours every day for the last 6 years now, and my playtime is only limited by the amount of time I spend dicking around on the forum talking about it. So, off to play!

EDIT: forgot to mention, what's most surprising to me about playing guitar (out of many things), is that I like to play a lot more genres and styles than I ever enjoyed listening to, back when I could do that. I didn't see that coming. Very nice.

Steve 78 and teletimetx like this.
  19. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I got interest in playing guitar in 1971 when I was a six year old boy in the tow of parents waiting in a line at Wallach's Music City in Lakewood, CA to buy John Denver's Poems, Prayers and Promises LP...... Music was just noise I didn't understand until I heard this geeky, bespectacled "kid" singing about how sunshine on his shoulders made him feel.... That's when I had my Eureka moment and saw music as a powerful communication tool. I started on the five string banjo in 1978 when I was 13; my first guitar was an Ovation Balladeer, which I got when I was 15 in 1980.

P Thought likes this.
  20. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I was in 8th grade, so I guess I was 13 or so. In 8th grade, we got to choose electives for our Fine and Practical Arts requirement. So I picked guitar class for first semester and advanced shop (wood and metal working) for second semester. You had to get to class early to pick one of the "good" school-supplied guitars, before they were all gone. By "good", I mean ones that had at least 5 strings, no frozen tuners, and as-yet-unwarped necks. Then we spent the first half hour tuning up, going around one at a time. Finally, we got on to the really cool stuff, like learning the C chord. After a few weeks, we all more or less had the C chord down, so we moved on to the G7 chord. Of course, then we had to learn how to go back and forth between the two. All class long. What fun!

By Christmas, we were ready for our first real song - Down In the Valley. That took us up until the end of the first semester, and since I wanted to play something a little more rockin' than Down In the Valley (like Take Me Home, Country Roads for example), I decided to take Advanced Guitar, which was held second semester. That meant that I had to get the permission of the shop teacher to drop the shop class I had signed up for. I don't remember his real name, but everybody called him Old Solder Balls. A crusty old loather of any kind music written after the demise of Bach, he berated me in front of the class and stated that nothing ever came of the kids that took guitar (perhaps I was not the first to request the switch), but he would teach me a life skill! In the end he signed the paperwork, and I went on to learn songs containing 3 and even in rare instances 4 chords. I was able to buy my own acoustic (a small bodied Sigma), so at least it was easier to play without rusty strings.

In 9th grade I was able to scrape enough paper route money together to buy a genuine Les Paul copy at the music store in the mall, a black plywood beauty with the proud moniker of Montaya. Or was it Montoya? They threw in (well, for fifty more bucks) a practice amp that was about the size of a Princeton - except for the speaker, which was the size of a transistor radio speaker, but with less fidelity and volume. By 10th grade, I had progressed enough to be asked to join a band (and I use that term in it's broadest meaning) consisting of a keyboard player, another keyboard player, a bass player, and me. I still did not have a real amp but keyboard player number 1 had a silverface twin reverb, so I figured he had plenty of input jacks to go around. Eventually I did get a real amp, we kicked out one of the keyboard players, and raided another local band for their drummer. Since we had a keyboard player, we played a lot of Styx, Kansas, Pink Floyd, and Skynyrd. Plus a whole lot of songs that I never knew had keyboard, like AC/DC. Well, at least we didn't have a harmonica player to contend with.

We ended up playing a few actual gigs before the whole thing kind of petered out over the summer (I'm sure girls were somehow involved), but from then on I have generally been in a band or some other guitar pursuit ever since. I wonder what became of Old Solder Balls?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.