1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The guitar and you, how did it all begin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hobo mississipp, Aug 15, 2016.

1. hobo mississipp

hobo mississipp TDPRI Member

I was about 12 I guess and my aunt had her brother over at the family Christmas gathering, he had a Gibson acoustic and sang, I said to him, can I play your guitar. My parents soon got me guitar lessons. LOL

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Kids playing Skynyrd covers in the junior high gym.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I got a guitar when I was eight. Played it regulalry, but never learned, if that makes sense. Saw Queen in Sydney: decided then I was going to play. Finally, at 19, decided to learn. Bought an acoustic, then a Teisco hollow body, then a Yamaha all the while lusting for a Telecaster. (Bought a Nashville 3 years ago). Was gigging within about 8 months or something.
    Still don't play like Brian May...

hobo mississipp likes this.
  4. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

The gallop of James hetfield's palm muting...to a 13yr it was life changing...kinda of ironic that I hardly listen to metal these days.

5. fulcifan

fulcifan TDPRI Member

The '60s and '70's rock pushed me in that direction. Then in '79 I played a friend's SG copy. Less than a year later I had my first electric: A gold-top Mark II Les Paul copy.

6. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I've been interested in music since Bill Haley and the Comets. Saw the Rock Around the clock movie at our local theatre. Bought my first 45 in 1955, Too Much by Elvis, but the Beatles in 63 pretty much made me pick up a guitar.

Steve Holt likes this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I always wanted to play an instrument probably because my father did and played in dance bands in the '40s but apparently sax and clarinet weren't my thing. I had one of those toy Emenee guitars when I was about 11 or 12 but that's not something you actually learned to play on.

Then the Beatles hit the States girls went crazy, I became a teenager and got interested in.......wait for it.........girls!!!!!

So at age 14 I finally talked by dad into springing for a used bass, I bought a little 5w guitar amp from a kid at school for $5, and spent a very cold Wisconsin winter in my bedroom teaching myself how to play from a Mel Bay book and by listening to bass lines on my stereo and copying them. 6 months later I was actually playing in a band and getting........girls!!!! :D

Guitar followed somewhat the same pattern about two years later. ;)

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Watching my parents finger pick their nylon string guitars while singing Simon & Garfunkel, Peter, Paul and Mary and Gordon Lightfoot. Folkies. Then I heard Van Halen I and it was all over.

RevMike likes this.
  9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I had a guitar from the moment I was born because my dad was a guitarist and he wanted to create something in common with his son. Problem is, it didn't stick, I just didn't like it at first. By 15, I decided that I would try it again.

Growing up, my parents didn't listen to much of anything but country. I got a little Rock from my friends and stuff, but my parents didn't like it so they never listened to it. I, being the rebellious teen that I was, soaked it in when I could get it. But while learning, dad was teaching me country songs and stuff and I was just bored with it. Then one day, I heard Nirvana's "In Bloom" and what attracted me to it was that sloppy solo that is in it. It just felt like liberation. While there are way better players that I idolize, I have a special place for Kurt Cobain's playing because it felt careless and free. But that song was the moment where I said "screw this. I want to do that!"

I sold my acoustic, bought an SG, a fender frontman and a ds-1 and the rest is history.

Steve 78 and wayloncash like this.
  10. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

My aunt, who lived across the street, had an old Kay archtop that belonged to her brother. I used to borrow the guitar now and then. I saw the Beatles the first time when I was a freshman in HS. I got my own guitar that Christmas. All downhill from there. I have owned well over 100 guitars, maybe 200 and many, many amps.

11. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Hank & Cliff, Apache & Summer Holiday

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Duane Eddy, Ventures, Beatles, Stones, Bloomfield, Buddy Guy, on and on.....

13. Badspike

Badspike TDPRI Member

1974. Sheild's Music in Tulsa Oklahoma. My Dad took me down there to get me started in music. Ended up with a old Framus and Fender Silver Face Champ. Me and Dad still talk about it. Been playing since.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a guitar in the womb with me, but it didn't surface until I was 23. My wife at the time loved TV. I was ions beyond that scene. She very much disliked all of my friends, because most of them played guitar and drank beer. Apparently, that was a crime in Pennsylvania at the time.

Next thing I knew, I got this paper in the mail that said
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E. I was ions beyond that scene.

Thank you Vicky, for allowing Mr. Ex Stringbanger to pursue his dream of being the best hacker guitar player in my mind.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I saw the Beatles when I was in 5th grade. Six years later I begged my mom to let me buy the neighbors nylon string guitar. That started it 48 years ago.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Elvis, Chuck, etc

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I got interested in Jr. High, and started playing a school owned Strat in High school. Started playing in a band with friends then bought a Cherry 335. After High School, I just hacked around occasionally until about 8 years ago.

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I think it's just in my blood. My dad is a musician and an educator, though he never actually taught me anything.

My mom got me a Columbia House subscription at age 7 and I remember asking, "Mom, what's heavy metal?" Then begging her for Shout at the Devil lol. I was always obsessed with guitars and loud music.

There was an old classical laying around the house and it became mine by default. I asked for lessons when I was 10 or 11.

19. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I had swimmers ear and couldn't go swimming; I was a waterbug back then. Took my little bro's guitar and my older bro's book of Beatles sheet music and sat on the porch that summer ('66) and taught myself how to play. Never had a lesson. It shows!

20. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I was 12. My best friend borrowed a Harmony beginner electric from one of his buddies. He didn't do anything with it so I asked if I could borrow it.

Once I brought it home I never put it down. My parents bought me an amp, picks, cables and some tab books and the rest is history. The next Christmas they bought me an Epiphone strat copy, then a few years later a Les Paul.

That Epiphone Strat copy really made an impression on me though. I think that's where my love of single coils all began.

Not my pic, but this was my first guitar:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.