The Guitar Acquisition Syndrome: a quest for a sound or just an addiction?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marcelo R, May 18, 2016.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

For me, guitars are pieces of art - each one evokes a different feeling. Have 1 or 100, whatever works for you.

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  2. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

With 29 guitars in my " Quest for Sound", all that I can say is that I've never found it and never will. It's hard to catch something that always keeps changing. I might add that it's alot if fun to go through and play them to relive their part of my journey. Amps, pedals and technique.....too many variables. Makes me want to just play a $100 acoustic.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

This thread made me think of AA - "My name is Tony, and I've got GAS".

I never went in for the "guitar hero" thing, though I have bought instruments for genre authenticity - prewar acoustics.

I have found a very effective partial cure for GAS is modding and or repairs. A new pickup or levelling frets will distract me from the idea of getting a new guitar. However, it is the same kind of trap as the search for sounds, it also distracts me from playing, and has become just as much a hobby in its own right.

4 Cat Slim likes this.
  4. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

Met a guy the other night while playing a gig, who said he had 16 guitars, and wasn't really a player, but liked collecting them. To each his own, I guess. Sometimes one has to buy a guitar just to see what they are like, for instance my D hole Gypsy style guitar. I don't think I'm gonna be John Jorgenson, but it's been fun learning Le Pompe. I've had an acoustic/electric 12 string for 9 years, and never played it much, but it's been the only guitar I took for my last few duo gigs, and I plan on continuing with it. Gives us a thicker sound, I guess...My band days are pretty much done, but I like playing solo and duo gigs, hey, I'll do duo with my son any chance I get. The electrics I used to use are gathering dust, but I'll save 'em for my son. The boy has a few guitars, but the only one he gigs with is a 1983 Fender Bullet, built the year he was born. He got it when he was 12, and learned to play on it. Hmmm, I'm wandering off topic, peace....

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm sure addiction does apply to some of us but for many of us we just simply hit an age where we could afford to buy some things we wanted. I've never really had the desire to own a lot of toys, boats, snowmobiles, RV's, sand buggy, four wheeler or fancy cars. But I do enjoy my little array of (mostly used, homemade, dumpster find or gifted) musical stuff.

4 Cat Slim and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister

For me it's mostly been part of the learning curve so far, figuring out what I really do like and what is expendable in the next trade-in. The answer(s) so far: I really like my telecasters, including a squier affinity tele, I like strats (but not as much as teles), I'm not sure about Les Pauls, and I expect to like a gretsch pro jet I will probably be getting later this year.

7. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Me, they're fetish objects. I love the shape and feel but I have no real desire to play. I love music but I'll leave the playing to others. It's too hard. I rely on distortion and discord when I do bang on one.

I have about 8 guitars, most are projects, I'd much rather play with one than actually play it.
    I'm almost sad when I finish one, I think "now what do I do with it?"

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My GAS is in remission for now, and has been for a while, but I've always felt that gear forums such as TDPRI and others fanned its flames. Whaddya gonna do, stop logging in?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I may have hit the high-water mark with GAS, at least temporarily. Got into building guitars 5-6 years ago, and that slowed things a bit, because except for my one Build Challenge guitar, they usually take me about a year to complete... Now I'm in a phase of gradually replacing my "store-bought" guitars with my own builds, and I've sold a couple (my CIJ tele and a Yammy LP) to clear space on the wall. The Greco ES175 copy is next on the chopping block.

Don't know what's gonna happen when I'm down to my only own builds; pretty hard to let go of those, especially considering the blood, sweat and tears I put into 'em and their lack of sales-value. Maybe it'll be time to start making amps...

10. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

As a keyboardist, I used to love using voices that were completely inappropriate to the song and making them work. It definitely forces you to think about it in a different way.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think some of us just like to buy stuff. I've had up to 14 guitars, or related stringed instruments at a time. Now I only have 3 acoustics, a Tele and a Bass. Well and a piano, but that doesn't really count 'cause that my wife's and she doesn't play it much, but it's there.

I've had a lot of acquisition syndromes in my time, when you get wrapped up in one, you just enjoy looking at, feeling of, buying the things you're presently interested in. If you're lucky, and are at an age where you can afford it, you'll be lucky enough to sell the things you just had to have last month, but no longer have any interest in this month. Yep, Mr. William Tele you've got it all figured out. So has my wife, she says "she was born to shop!"

william tele likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I think the ease with witch you can buy and return things today fans the flames of GAS. I am over it for now, but I've bought stuff and almost had to make a U turn in the parking lot to return some guitars I've bought. In fact in today's age of buying, and returning I don't see how they keep anything sold, ever! I bought a phone the other day, I needed a phone or I wouldn't have bought one. The lady who sold it to me, reminded me as I was leaving, "you have fifteen days to return it if you don't like it."

I don't know how you could make a living selling on commission now days, you'd think you'd made a big check, and before you could get paid, your customers would return everything, and you'd owe them money!

13. Toto'sDad

I like that, a girl in a new pair of shoes, wearing cargo shorts, okie tee, and accessorized by a brand new yellow guitar, with a black strap.

14. djangomango

djangomango Tele-Holic

It doen't really matters what it is. All that matters is to get GAS recognized by your governement and get financial help for this terrible condition.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This reminds me of another addict's joke (recovery humor is generally "dark" friends...) as the guy who drinks brake-fluid, but says: "I can stop anytime I want..."

Your mileage may vary...
    Peace - Deeve

Tommy Biggs and djangomango like this.
  16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Last night I had an hour to myself, so I played my Tele straight into a Vibro Champ turned way up loud. It sounded absolutely glorious. I'm lucky to have things that sound that good.
    Today I'll be looking at amps on the internet...

That's my answer to the OP.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not sure addiction is the right word. But guitars are essentially tools used to make music. Unless you collect them purely for aesthetic reasons, you only need so many. Then again most of us don't play that broad a spectrum of music especially in a professional capacity. So how many are reasonable? Whatever the pattern of repeatedly buying things you can't really use is, is probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

18. axlej11

axlej11 TDPRI Member

Being a fresh adult finishing highschool, I have bad GAS. Oh man its a terrible case. My injury on my left hand is to the point where I can play again, so I went up to guitar center and if I wasnt broke and trying to save for college, I wouldve grabbed this 90's jackson V I played. They are the most uncomfortable guitars I have ever sat down with, but something about it screams at me "bring me home". I keep torturing myself browsing the thousands of guitars on the online stores..

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You are excused. For the time being. Check back in 20 years or so.

Steve 78 and axlej11 like this.
  20. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

Soon you'll be spending money on a lot stuff regardless of if you have enough money or not (some real advice~ beware severe DEBT in college, it's frighteningly real, so avoid over spending at all cost). But at that age, you can also definitely save a lot too.. just ask yourself, do you want to blow a $100 on a night drinking with friends? (go out & have fun with them for sure) but you can be strict with your spending limits. Before you know it, you'll have enough to buy that new git with nothing to worry about except studying for finals or a paper.

If you meet someone special... then say goodbye to all that money you'd be saving :oops: so make some good memories.

*point of the story, that's how I got my dream guitar by the time I was 25 or so. Met my lovely lady soon after when she saw me playing my guitar. :cool:

Steve 78, 4 Cat Slim and axlej11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.