The Great WD40 Tube Kerfuffel

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just pointing out that - and I'm not electrically qualified - operator error can result in unanticipated consequences.

Last gig I worked out that the red RCA connector was AWOL and I tested MP3 player. I swapped leads. Still no go.

The other guitarist was complaining of zaps.

I touched his mic and got nothing but I wasn't wearing my guitar. I told him it must have been his shoes picking up static.

This time I connected to the input I'd been using for him, and I got multiple zaps - to the point I got mic-shy.

So - WD40. It might works short-term or instantaneously give you a result so you think great. And you may not notice the longer term impact of it. Used sparingly as Strat-a-various relates is empirically not harmful- it's not the careful q-tipper, but the gratuitous sprayer slathering it all over everything that's the focus of caution.

'They said it was OK, and a lot must be better than a little'.

timfred and telemnemonics like this.
  2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you want to get a heated discussion going between a bunch of men, who may or may not be completely clueless, WD40 is always a good subject.
    Personally I've used WD-40 since I was a kid in the '70s without experiencing all the calamities self appointed experts said it causes. Used it in air sanders for lube whilst preparing trucks for fresh paint. Also wiped them down with copious amounts of laquer thinner, xylol, MEK or whatever not so environmentally friendly solvent was on hand at the time.
    On amps I might use a little on a nut or jewel light thread.
    It used to work great for squirting in a carburetor to get a small engine to fire up or to get a diesel going after some fool ran the tank dry. (starting fluid is a bad idea on a warm diesel or one with glow plugs) But they changed the propellant to CO2 and if you know anything about CO2, that made it worthless for those applications.
    There surely are better canned spray lubes but they all smell like weasel pee. :)

41144 likes this.
  3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

thank you for your post. your main point of pulling the tubes and reinserting them is the most important.

play music!

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I like how half the people here took the OP's post apologizing for the other thread getting a little heated as an invitation to keep arguing about WD-40...

corliss1 likes this.
  5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

All I can add to this discussion is that you haven't seen anything until you've seen a camera that the owner lubed the sticky shutter with WD-40. And they don't want to believe it when you tell them the camera is un-repairable. Personally I like to use a brass brush to clean tube pins. Naptha works well cleaning sockets.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. mndean

mndean Tele-Meister

Shutter with WD-40? Once a lens came to me pumped so full of bearing grease that I looked for a nipple where he put his grease gun.

Andy B and BobbyZ like this.
  7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Never thought you were spraying it(WD-40) directly into the tube socket from your original post.

Only on the pins. Doubt if it was a dripping mess when you inserted the tubes.

Maybe not my first choice, but not the end of the world if you did or continue to do.

I generally use isopropyl alcohol. And insert the tubes, remove them the reinsert them.

Usually does the trick. Well, at least over the last 30 or 40 years.

Still wonder why WD-39 didn't make the cut.:confused::D

Torren61, you are a rebel!;)

Paul in Colorado and BobbyZ like this.
  8. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Same, lube dynobrade's, die grinders etc. Wipe e'm down with a rag soaked in gun wash good to go. Don't touch my bikes or outboards with the stuff anymore though. Used Mr Sheen now for years " and sparingly" as it cleans & protects from corrosion with a good wax protective coating without deteriorating plastics & rubber.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

When I lived in Colorado, I was on a Public Works crew plowing snow in winter, re-asphalting in summer, a little municipal water, and wastewater stuff as well. There were also 2 fulltime mechanics that worked on all the town vehicles. Whenever the rednecks and I would get in a huge cursing argument over how to do things correctly and it seemed unresolvable, we'd go over to the workbench, grab a can of engine quickstart, spray a nice big cloud of it between us, and chill the eff out. Worked every time.

Btw, those guys also seemed to think WD-40 was not only garbage, but massively overused for applications it was not designed for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.