The great Telecaster pain in the neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PaddyPaul, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I've seen some very nice images in this thread, thanks to those that posted.

The neck pickups in my two telecaster are freaking awesome, frankly. One is an AV '64 Fender gray-bottom, and the other is a Don Mare "Hayride" neck pickup, I think he calls it "The '54".

I think there is something to the cover material, they're both nickel-silver and there is nothing muted or muddy about them.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure how they are wired but Jon Jorgenson did some wild things with his custom shop Tele.

6447C20E-478D-492D-9265-E7195BCDF982.jpeg 514FCEF8-6B3C-4211-8945-27E292E825CB.jpeg

richiek65 and Zepfan like this.
  3. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Guitars.. As I said in another thread, it's all personal preference...

I put a Harmonics Design Mini Strat pickup in my T-partscaster 4 years ago and have been happy ever since.. Goes great with the JD in the bridge..

4. Donnie L

Donnie L TDPRI Member

As for the Tele neck pickup , it's always been a catch 22 - David Gilmour removed the cover of his Telecaster for lots of reasons ... probably the same for most people ... all of my Tele's that I have assembled , I get the person to wind the neck pickup a little bit hotter than usual ... it works for me but it's still not as punchy as the bridge pickup but it's like that for almost any guitar ...

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

IIRC, it had a 5-way switch. For positions 1 and 5, it was either the bridge or neck pickups in series. Positions 2 and 4 were just the outer coil at the neck or bridge (split), and position 3 was the two outer coils in parallel.

I would love to have one of those JJ Teles, but at least the bridge pickup looks like it's got something custom going on with the bobbin(s), which would probably make replacement or repair a bit of a pain.

Actually, the Will Ray Jazz-a-Caster has always kind of intrigued me too, just for different reasons.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm sorry. What?

This thread in general reminds me that much of guitar chatdom is a solution in search of a problem.

Generally a "problem" no one knew about until they read about it.

INFANT and David Barnett like this.
  7. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I have a good tip for tele players with a 90 degree plug on the guitar cable. Use the other end :)

MilwMark likes this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This gets talked about all the time.. play the stock jack for a while and eventually it starts falling out. Not a new problem at all.

I had trouble with my initial jack.. I didn't replace it with an electrosocket but used a better Switchcraft one than whatever was in it from Fender.. haven't had any trouble at all.

My guitar is a MIM.. within 18 months at best both the switch and the jack were flaky. Either they were not the best parts in the bin or it's weird that I was playing it every day and they don't think MIM players do that?

Actually what Fenders have good jack designs? Strat jacks have a bad reputation too!

9. MilwMark

I guess the question would be "bad reputation" among whom?

I have to be honest with you, I rehearse weekly and play shows in an feisty punk band. Using either my 89/90/90 (can't ever remember the year) Strat Plus or my '69 mutt Tele. Or more recently my Vintera Deluxe. I've (knock wood?) never had or heard of this issue.

My bandmate had played the same '79 Strat for 19 years since he bought it. And only that Strat. Same thing.

I've played in bands with maybe 20 folks when I add them up. Most using Fenders. Never heard of the issue.

10. MilwMark

That's what I do. 90 degrees is for the tuner pedal.

CFFF likes this.
  11. beninma

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=loose+telecaster+input+jack&s=g

476,000 hits on google for loose telecaster input jack... tons of hits on every known guitar forum where people are asking how to fix them. 1600 hits on this forum!

Stewmac gets enough questions they have How-To articles on how to fix them.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...s_to_fix_a_Telecasters_wobbly_input_jack.html

To be honest I'm careful with stuff.. seems like I will probably not break mine.

12. MilwMark

I'll take your word for it on the stats. Though it kinda supports my point.

I think forum reality is not always, you know, reality.

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I am also one of that same few. I like the neck PU's in my Teles. One with the older Pure Vintage set, one with newer Original Tele PU's and one with Pure Vintage 64's.

All are vintage wound and I only play clean. Have no desire to change any of them and really have zero use for hotter pickups. Don't really even understand the reason for them.

14. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm sure everything that can happen has happened numerous times to the first ever mass production solid body.

15. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

anybody that doesn't like the Tele neck pickup, has never played a Pickup Wizard Broadcaster neck. I'm a neck pickup player on Strats primarily, but that thing is the best neck tone I've ever heard.

16. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

TV Jones Starwood Tele pickups with Dearmond style slugs.
    The neck pickup is a beautiful BEAST!
    A63B40F3-7DAE-43F6-A098-86966E5CFDC3.jpeg

MickM likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Latest (and only, so far) Tele build. Got the body, set up as an Esquire, in a trade. The bridge pickup was supposedly a hot Guitar Fetish unit, so my lead player, who has a boxload of Tele pickups, found a neck pu among them that was a match, in the 10k range for both. I also found a three-knob control plate and set it up so that each pu has its own volume control, with a universal tone control. In the middle selector position, the individual volume controls allow for just about any tonal variation the pickups can produce. Neck pu too muddy? Dial in a bit more bridge, and it all sparkles. Tone too bitey? Dial in a bit of neck, and it warms it up. Love this setup! _547.JPG _549.JPG _550.JPG 20190306_182300.jpg

Attached Files:

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm all about the neck pickup, especially in the AV64 and Stuart Blackguard sets. I hardly ever play bridge.

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've only really run into this issue with the original style jack cup and aftermarket Tele bodies.

Anyway, the first time I had this problem, I didn't feel like waiting for a purchased Electrosocket to to arrive, or getting the specialized Stew Mac tool (or trying to fabricate my own).

...So what I did was to take the stock type of jack cup, and drill two holes on opposite sides of the cup "walls," and then drill two small pilot holes into the body, at an angle. I then experimented with the right size wood screws, that allowed me to screw the cup in snug, and still be able to tighten the jack nut. If you don't want to spend too much time messing around with the optimal type and size of screws, you can probably get the jack nut tight with needlenose pliers.

20. beninma

I didn’t mean to imply Telecaster were terrible guitars cause of loose jacks. Just that it seems weird to have never heard of it if you’re hanging around here.

Most likely some just get installed a little better than others. My original came loose, once I worked on it it’s never come loose again. I didn’t do anything special.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.