The great Telecaster pain in the neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PaddyPaul, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

There is nothing wrong with the neck pickup on a Telecaster. If you don't like it you can put something else in. I had a MIM tele with a Bill Lawrence 280N. It was very nice. A different sound which I loved. Many options are out there if you like. I pretty much stick with the Telecaster as is though. That's just me.

2. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

Got a 2018 MIM Nashville Deluxe. I love the neck pu sound.I have put a screwdriver to it to sound best to me tho. As to the question poised, it was about modding. He never said it was a bad pu. Heh, first mod I did shortly after my purchase was the output jack.I want a 90* plug there. I have not owned the guitar long enough to wonder about pu replacement yet. Installed a Rothstein 7-way switching recently.Just dial in pu heights to taste. Love it!

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Now you do, Antigua! :) And, I'm just the one to do it. :lol:

T-Armonds in this ES-Les Paul - single coil sweetness! (T-Armonds aren't exactly low-output, though. They sound BIG.)
    [​IMG]

TV-HT Hilo'trons in this ES-339 - wonderfully delicious, low output tones! (Just turn the amp up a little more.)
    [​IMG]

Further, I think Tele neck pickups can sound absolutely awesome! And, I think one would sound great in an ES-Les Paul or an ES-335/339. Perhaps that may be my next frontier! :eek:

There's no reason NOT to mix things up in the guitar world and make some sweet, unusual combinations.

How about HS Filter'trons in a Strat? (Sounds so sweet!)
    [​IMG]

Or, a Gretsch Hilo'tron in the neck position of a Tele? Sparkly smoothness! With Cavalier 51/52.
    [​IMG]

Back on topic... yeah, I love a Tele with Tele pickups, too! Choose your preferred style of Tele pickups, and they can be extremely pleasing! Neck every bit as much as bridge. I love the neck pickup tones.

Lion King and Nashville Lion in this Fender Ash FSR Aged Cherry Burst sound superb. Pure, rich Tele. Thank you, Rob!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    4pickupguy likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't somebody make a humbucker out of 2 Tele neck pickups?

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm sticking to my story.

DHart likes this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My avri 64 has one of the best neck pickups I’ve ever encountered of any guitar. Not weak. A bit stratty, with a rich but clear bottom end. Gorgeous.

MickM likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

You're right... you do not see many LPs nor Gibson ES models with single coil pickups! My point, though, is that those are great options for anyone adventurous enough to try it out. :cool:

8. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Tele neck pups are wound higher and are more powerful than strats. The Cover is the sound of the tele neck, that's part of it....

joeford likes this.
  9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The weak link on any guitar is the nut holding it. Especially if he believes everything he reads is some kind of universal truth.

(Except for this post of course, which is a universal truth)

Mad Kiwi and beninma like this.
  10. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

The weakest link in any guitar is the player.

MickM and Manual Slim like this.
  11. Antigua Tele

Unless we're talking about Gibson head stocks, let's be real.

MickM likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't agree with that author. What may sound "dark", can really sound good with a band after you've adjusted the height, backed off the volume, tweaked the tone knob, pushing the front end of your amp a little, and get the right attack. The neck position is supposed to sound different than the bridge. Also, it appears I'm content with either brass or nickel covers on the neck: I play both, and use the neck or middle positions half the time.

mad dog likes this.
  13. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Point taken, as much as no guitar plays itself and will only ever sound as good as its operator ;)

beagle likes this.
  14. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I have used Arcane Inc. pups in many of my builds. One of my favorite combos is their 50 Experience bridge with 42 Experience neck. The neck still looks like a Tele pup, but sounds more like a Strat. The bridge is a real hot output pup (over 10k), which makes this combo a very verstatile machine, especially with 4-way wiring. Rob Timmons at Arcane is a very cool guy, and can easily mod the pup with a different cover, no cover, Strat shape...you name it.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

[QUOTE="Dan R, post: 9408839, member: 414"]There is nothing wrong with the neck pickup on a Telecaster. If you don't like it you can put something else in.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! You can take the "lipstick" cover off, replace it with any pickup, a humbucker. whatever you want. I personally like it as it has a jazz sound when wanted and plays extremely well with both pickups, a unique and lovely sound. Chrissie Hynde uses it to perfection.

For a Company representative to say they have a weakness in their product(s) needs to think whether he wants his job, or deserves to be retained, the next day, and in the future. I'd sack the fool for denigrating a company product in such a public forum.

howardlo likes this.
  16. Antigua Tele

Fender sells a plethora of Teles with alternate neck pickups, so it could be argued that he's actually promoting all of those guitars.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Over the years I’ve wound up with p90s as my tele neck pickup of choice, but I always loved the tele neck pickup and have been thinking of doing some swapping lately

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Well, I prefer my neck pickup to my bridge pickup. There, I said it.

But I am hesitating before I hit the 'post' button...

Pax/
    Dean

Mad Kiwi and joeford like this.
  19. PaddyPaul

PaddyPaul TDPRI Member

But if the player is Jimi Hendrix? Then again, if he starts stuffing around with, eh, you know, a box of matches. But that's ok - that's art. It's definitely art, isn't it? Are you sure? Can someone without burnt fingers please make a definitive call on this. If the answer is affirmative, I reckon I could be a red-hot dude artist rather than a tepid guitarist. Would solve the tele neck pick-up conundrum too. And the wife seriously hates that tele twang. Grand. Things are looking up at last.

AngelStrummer likes this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There have been several mentions of the cover material in this thread.

It made me think about my guitar. I have a Lollar Vintage T neck pickup in my guitar. It's an amazingly good neck pickup IMO. It holds its own very nicely against Strat pickups and my bridge + neck sound in the middle on the selector is fantastic too.. great for funk sounds, sounds really cool with drive, etc.. I basically get great sounds that I love on all pickup positions and basically for many different combinations of the volume + tone knobs too.

I never gave much thought to the cover. But then I was wondering yesterday after seeing this thread what the cover on mine actually is.

I look at the Lollar website and you can order your neck pickup with 4 different covers:
    - Nickel
    - Chrome
    - Unplated
    - Gold

I found my receipt and mine is Chrome, I am pretty sure I ordered Chrome because it was the same color/look as the original stock Fender pickup my guitar came with. Now I'm really curious what the sound differences are if any, or what the base material is... it may be that all the covers are the same underlying material and it's just what it gets plated with. The website does say the Lollar neck pickups are wound with a thicker than usual gauge of wire for less compression, maybe that's part of it. The bass strings will still compress a lot strumming though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.