The great Telecaster pain in the neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PaddyPaul, Nov 4, 2019.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like a tele neck pickup but seem to be one of the few who dislike most strat neck pickups

howardlo, gwjensen and MilwMark like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a longtime Tele neck pickup naysayer.
    Nay!
    See.
    I find them weak and noisy.
    Sadly, I still haven’t heard one I like.
    My solution, which may (probably) will require routing, is the TV Jones Supertron.
    They’re clear and full sounding, and noise/hum free.
    Good luck!

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like that contrast between low output vintage, slight dirt on clean tele neck and rocking overdriven bridge pickup. No need to step on pedals. If I want to play lead on my tele neck I use a twang king neck pickup and a pedal.

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I suspect that by "weakest link" he meant "least popular feature." And it's hard to argue with that. I've never seen anyone try to get a Tele neck pickup into a non-Tele guitar.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

"I've never seen anyone try to get a Tele neck pickup into a non-Tele guitar."

I myself agree. Nobody in their right mind would use one.

So I used two!

[​IMG]

grooveiron, MickM, howardlo and 5 others like this.
  6. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

y'all need to stop reading, listening, watching what OTHER people think, and learn to THINK for YOURSELF. please.

mad dog, JL_LI, gkterry and 11 others like this.
  7. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

More than any other instrument, a guitar is a community instrument. There's a lot of shared interest in both the instruments as well as the people who use them. If there's information out there, you have to push back, or nobody will.

I see videos of really good lute players, or flute players, and I feel kind of bad, because there might be lute and flute forums with a few active users, but it doesn't begin to compare to that of the guitar. I think I'd feel lonely playing those instruments.

8. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I love the neck pickup on a tele. Now, if I was to consider the weakest link on a tele I would have said the three-barrel bridge, which can be a hoor to intonate.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

When I read about all the inherent problems with the tele neck pickup, I think of this.

T
    he weakest link on a tele for me is the other two pickups are missing and the volume knob is 18’ from my hand.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  10. Antigua Tele

The trick is to not bother.

11. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I like the stock neck pickup on my FSR Mexican Tele. I'm on it more than the bridge.

12. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

Fender has addressed it with hot neck pickups like texas specials and redesigned pickups like twisted teles that accommodate more windings. These will be improvements to many people over a vintage style tele neck.

I love tele necks and so do many players.

I wouldn't think he was saying that tele necks are terrible as much as he was addressing the common notion that many people dislike them and what to do about it if you dont like them.

To my ears, the tele neck is very sweet, open mellow, and not harsh at all. That may equate to dull, boring, and weak to some folks. An easy fix to me is a hotter set of pickups, but I also prefer slight overwound to underwound as a non country guy so that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

That's what I was thinking as well. More addressing the mindset than agreeing with it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Steve Morse, Jon Jorgensen, Will Ray, Billy Gibbons

I had a 4pickup strat with a tele neck pickup. My favorite pickup model of all time happens to be be a tele neck pu. The Cavalier lion King. Just beautiful.

mad dog and PaddyPaul like this.
  15. Antigua Tele

In general, when non-standard pickups are stuffed into a guitar, it's a hotter pickup than came stock; P-90's in Tele's, PAF's in Strats and Teles. Likewise, you don't see many Les Pauls or 335's with low output single coils in them.

The new Fender Sixty Six has Tele pickups, but that's Fender making a Fender.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat TDPRI Member

I think he's right...the Tele neck pickup IS the weak link in an otherwise pretty much perfect instrument. However, that weakness can be counteracted by using a hotter neck pickup, or...set your amp controls so that the neck pickup sounds good with the Tele tone control all the way up. Then, when you move to the middle or lead position, adjust the tone control as needed to tame the brightness.

17. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I love the neck pickup on my 64 RI.

Dismalhead likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

The "weak" point of the traditional Telecaster is the output jack cup. It's fiddly to install and repair, it won't accept many 90-degree plugs, and it has a bad habit of puking its guts out right in the middle of a gig.

Before the Electrosocket jack was invented, I removed the cups and installed steel Les Paul jack plates. Those four little screws ain't going anywhere until you want them to.

19. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a Tele with a Chopper T in the bridge and a cheap ceramic in the neck position. Frankly it sounds fine to me but it’s output is decidedly lower than the CT. I need to fool with the pickup height but I’ll try the slots in the cover too.

IMHO the biggest flaw in a Tele is the dumbass layout of the control plate.

20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Man, people get riled up when someone challenges their own personal beliefs. I never liked any of the stock bridge pickups in the Teles I’ve owned. Most Tele owners I’ve talked with face-to-face prefer the sound of the Tele bridge pickup.

Hey, if you’re a neck pickup guy, great. More power to you.

That doesn’t mean the quoted custom shop guy is an idiot who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He’s dealt with hundreds, if not thousands, of customers over the years. I’m sure dozens of them wanted stock tele bridge pickups in their Custom Shop Teles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.