The Great Society - "Somebody To Love"

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
Grace Slick was in this band before Jefferson Airplane/Starship. Out of all the renditions that I have perused, I like this one the best. It was written by her then brother-in-law, Darby Slick. I recall that this was recorded live at The Matrix or The Fillmore West (circa 1966).

It is slower and bluesier than the Jefferson Airplane version, but that doesn't make it any less appealing to me. I really like the guitar sounds/tones.

1642885044893.png
1642885096258.png

@brookdalebill

Last edited:

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
When you think of Sly Stone, the single "Free Advice" is not the sort of thing which immediately comes to mind. It's a single by the Great Society, recorded in December 1965 and featuring Jerry Slick, his wife Grace and his younger brother Darby. It may not sound like it, but it took 53 takes to get the final one, and the reason for that is right on the record label, which reads, "Produced by Sly Stewart." By the time this was released, the young producer, a notorious perfectionist, had been working for Autumn Records, a label run by San Francisco DJ Tom Donahue and his partner Bob Mitchell, for two years.

Source:

David C

Tele-Holic
I really love Grace's voice, always have. Never have heard this version of the song, so thank you for posting it here. My memories of her singing are from her being part of Jefferson Airplane. White Rabbit and Someone to Love were what led me in, but it was "After Bathing at Baxter's" that sent me down a literal rabbit hole of Airplane's songs starting in 1969. I owned every album and still consider them one of the bedrock groups of rock.

With the exception of Janis Joplin, she was the only woman that was part of a rock band back in the late 60s and early 70s that I can remember.

I still listen to them today. I suggest listening to their Woodstock performance.