The great Kluson confusion - fakes, repros & the "real deal"

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lostheart, Feb 3, 2009.

1. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the new "Klusons" are Gotohs because they're too good! :lol:

I have a set of the staggered vintage Gotohs and they're OK but I'd personally prefer the Kluson branded over them or any other Gotoh. -Just my opinion as stated before in the countless Gotoh vs Kluson threads.

2. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Those are - apparently - made by Gotoh for Rockinger as well.
    Rockinger don't sell the WD distributed stuff.
    Locking tuners are great but then I don't change strings that often...

Fair enough...I assume you have the tuners made exclusively for WD. I have never tried those but too many negative reviews on this board have kept me from giving them a try. If it's true and they are made by PING I highly doubt that I will ever get a set...

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know who exactly manufactures them, but it seems to me that the negative reviews you mention were never provided by anyone who actually owns the WD Klusons. :rolleyes:

4. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Could be that those WD tuners are awesome but neg reviews galore kept me from trying them. I also always try to play save - especially since I'm overseas and cannot ship crappy gear back trans-atlantic.
    This was just meant to show folks that they can have the quality of the Gotoh gear with the vintage markings.

5. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Just received them...and they really are Gotoh's with Kluson Deluxe stamped in a single line. On the inside they are marked with "Japan"...

6. KevinB

I don't blame you at all and I think your reasons are logical.

I would certainly give the ROCKINGER/GOLDO models a try.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well I have them for about 4 years and have not have any issue. Had that neck on two guitars and both always stay(ed) in tune fine.

I would mention that I am pretty frisky with bends, including low fret E and A bends and mashes, and the occasional over the nut 'G' half and full step presses. When I moved the neck to the second guitar I also did a bone nut and string Tee, even better after that.

The nickel finish I like more than chrome personally, and they still look as the day I put them on. I CA glued in the bushings which I think helps stability.

YMMV, But I doubt it.

8. KevinB

I really like the nickel finish too, although I've only had mine on for a little over a year.

9. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Thank you for the report. Would love a set of those on my T.....

10. Brock Lee

Brock Lee TDPRI Member

I absolutely hate the WD "Ping" made Kluson tuning keys.

No that I got that off my chest: Back before WD got the rights, there were some Kluson Deluxe tuners coming in from overseas and could be found occasionally at a guitar show. Around 1994 WD began offering Kluson branded tuners and they were this nicer style (and I believe were Gotoh). This lasted maybe 8 months and then they changed to the inferior version they have been cranking out ever since.

I believe these Rockinger keys are currently sold by "Crazy Parts" in Germany. There is a shop in Singapore that is buying Japan made products like tuners, pickguards, bridges, etc and are aging the parts and selling them to places like Crazy Parts (their retail name is Monster Parts).

11. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Could very well be. I'm sure Crazy Parts - and there's another German online shop that specializes in aged parts whose name I forgot - get their Klusons from Rockinger. But since they are nickel (and can be aged fast with muriatic acid fumes) I'd rather buy em from Rockinger and do the aging myself and can stop the process before it looks odd.

12. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a few sets of Kluson Single-Line tuners. They're just OK. Not up to
    Gotoh or Grover standards, IMO. But, some guys like them fine. I also think their pricing is high for what they are. I get the Grovers for $29/set and they're
    a better product, far as my experience with just about all the brands goes. But, I do like the Gotohs, as well. I put them in 3rd, behind Gotohs and Grovers.

[​IMG]

13. Tony Reid

Tony Reid Tele-Meister

Kluson style vintage tuners

I have tried the TonePros, Gotoh and Grover vintage Kluson style tuners, as well as some cheaper eBay imitation 'Klusons'. IMO the Grover 133N6 win hands down. The TonePros Klusons, which sport the Kluson logo, feel too loose and it is easy to turn them too far, especially if you are nervous or in a hurry; the Gotoh are too stiff, also very difficult to make small adjustments as you need to use too much force to turn the keys. The Grovers are just right...they have a firm but smooth feel to them, and seem to be the best made. :D
    I think they are definitely worth a try - they cost the same as the Gotohs from Guitar Parts Resources, link:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_grover6.htm

- my 2 cents worth- ;)

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

As soon as I read that it made me think of some I have felt that I had trouble making fine adjustments on, on other folks guitars. I am wondering now...

15. PJ55

THeir website is under construction, but I get the Grovers at Internatioal Luthier
    Supply. I think their in Oklahoma City. I usually fax them my order and the tuners show up a few days later. If I recall, they're $29/set. And I haven't found any better deals out there. But, here's their web address:

http://internationalluthiers.com/

16. Brock Lee

Brock Lee TDPRI Member

Same here. I would rather get them factory fresh and decide how much if any aging is done. I contacted Rockinger to see what it takes to become a dealer. If I can work something out, I will let everyone know.

17. KevinB

What string mounting method do they use? On the Grover website, they show them with a hole through the post, but maybe that's the 3 on a side model and not the 6 on a side model? I'd like to try the nickel Grovers but I much prefer the safety-post style.

[​IMG]

18. PJ55

The six-in-line Grovers with Safety Post in Nickel plating are Grover p/n
    Grover #G133N6.

[​IMG]

19. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

...and since I'm scoping out every thread I can find on this I am still hesitant about which to buy for my Baja neck (originally had Pings but came without them and the bushings from the seller). By the middle of this thread I was thinking the Wd Klusons (which I've seen for $39.95 on another site) but once again PJ and now Tony Reid have me thinking the Grover 133N6 tuners are the way to go. PJ told me they will fit into the Ping holes on my Baja.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.