The Great American Read. Do You Agree With The Results?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hekawi, Nov 3, 2018.

1. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. Hesse is a very close second.

2. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. And read the books that influenced him (Wallace). Hesse is a very close second.

3. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. And read the books that influenced him (Wallace). Hesse is a very close second.

4. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got to the second or third book that was like a carbon copy of the prior book and stopped reading them. It just wasn’t moving the story anymore.

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yup. Know who's fun to read? Joseph Conrad. A remarkable guy. Gets you thinking about thought and language. Reading Heart of Darkness is fine, it's a good one, but there's more, lots more. I liked Victory.

A past colleague of mine was in the obits recently. I hadn't seen him in years. He told me once after he retired that he was trying to read writers' whole catalogues when he read them--when he told me this he was working on Toni Morrison--rather than just their one or two "greatest hits". Now that I'm retired, I've tried that once; I just finished reading all of Vonnegut's novels. It's an interesting thing to do, and I'll probably do it some more, but I don't want to stop "scratching that surface".

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.