The Great American Read. Do You Agree With The Results?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hekawi, Nov 3, 2018.

1. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. Hesse is a very close second.

2. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. And read the books that influenced him (Wallace). Hesse is a very close second.

3. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one as my absolute favorite it would be Infinite Jest. I say that because I had to read everything else he wrote because of it. And read the books that influenced him (Wallace). Hesse is a very close second.

4. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I got to the second or third book that was like a carbon copy of the prior book and stopped reading them. It just wasn’t moving the story anymore.

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup. Know who's fun to read? Joseph Conrad. A remarkable guy. Gets you thinking about thought and language. Reading Heart of Darkness is fine, it's a good one, but there's more, lots more. I liked Victory.

A past colleague of mine was in the obits recently. I hadn't seen him in years. He told me once after he retired that he was trying to read writers' whole catalogues when he read them--when he told me this he was working on Toni Morrison--rather than just their one or two "greatest hits". Now that I'm retired, I've tried that once; I just finished reading all of Vonnegut's novels. It's an interesting thing to do, and I'll probably do it some more, but I don't want to stop "scratching that surface".

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.