The Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side? I Think Not.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have a fairly nice lawn. It is not show quality, and I don't care if people step on it. I have some bare patches, and a really thin spot in the back yard that is mostly shade. We have a company fertilize, and I have been mowing every 3 to 4 days during this rainy season.

Early this month, I raised my mower to 3.25 inches (garage floor to bottom of the blade - yes, I measured). The first few cuts at this length look a bit shaggy, but it help the lawn fill in and green up. Early spring and late fall I mow at 2.75 inches.

One of my neighbors mows as much as I do, but he mows a lot shorter. His lawn always has a yellowish undertone.

The other neighbor lets his lawn get really long, then mows it to the nub. It pretty much always looks terrible.

So, yeah. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Pictures as proof...

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Of course, it has been raining, so everything is really green now.

This is the neighbor who mows. Note the yellowish undertone on the right side of the pictures. My yard is the left side.

20220527_133149.jpg

20220527_133217.jpg

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I was happy the day I got my ZTR. I was happy the day I gave it to my BiL. I no longer have a lawn to mow. Sure I loved our little acreage, but I got tired of it. I do still love a well manicured lawn and flowerbeds.

I loved this place, but now it is time for someone else to enjoy it.

1653680586933.png

1653680621169.png

1653680637714.png

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a fairly nice lawn. It is not show quality, and I don't care if people step on it. I have some bare patches, and a really thin spot in the back yard that is mostly shade. We have a company fertilize, and I have been mowing every 3 to 4 days during this rainy season.

Early this month, I raised my mower to 3.25 inches (garage floor to bottom of the blade - yes, I measured). The first few cuts at this length look a bit shaggy, but it help the lawn fill in and green up. Early spring and late fall I mow at 2.75 inches.

One of my neighbors mows as much as I do, but he mows a lot shorter. His lawn always has a yellowish undertone.

The other neighbor lets his lawn get really long, then mows it to the nub. It pretty much always looks terrible.

So, yeah. The grass is not greener on the other side.

Pictures as proof...
People will debate the merits of "mow short/mow long" all day, but I side with Paul James, (the gardener guy) and have my mower on the highest setting. Helps prevent weeds from germinating.
My former next door neighbor and I tended to agree.....if our grass was "green", and we could walk through it barefoot comfortably, it was a winning situation. Life's too short to worry about a little clover. ;)

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
I can’t believe I actually read a whole thread about grass growing. I really need to get back to “work”.

BTW, dang!!!! Where I live (SF) they would call your yard a Park. It would have a soccer field, a stage, museums and buffaloes (we like those in our parks for some reason).

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a fairly nice lawn. It is not show quality, and I don't care if people step on it.

That is an OUTSTANDING lawn. I'd be tickled green to have something like that.

Of course, I'd be just as tickled with what @P Thought has as well.

The other thing to consider when adjusting mow height: The amount of Carbon Dioxide the grass absorbs and amount of Oxygen it emits is proportional to the length of the blade. Taller grass means more carbon removed from the atmosphere and fixed into the soil.

(If you care about that sort of thing)

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
They all look green to me. Where is the clover, creeping charlie, and dandelions?
It’s in my back yard. 2 dogs and a l’il D1 commit who still stomps around with cleats. Maybe when we move him to college we can sod the lawn. Until then it’s a marble with clover patches.