The Gospel Music Appreciation Thread

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I forgot to mention that the band on the compilation above is the one that played with all the singers on the Hi Records label in Memphis. It’s the same musicians that were on his big secular hits, like Let’s Stay Together.
And here's the whole gang behind O.V. Wright, Doug.

Willie Mitchell had an instantly identifiable sound as a producer, didn't he?

I love it.

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's
And here's the whole gang behind O.V. Wright, Doug.

Willie Mitchell had an instantly identifiable sound as a producer, didn't he?

I love it.

Wow, that does sound like Al Green's band. Excellent horns.

So I was gonna count but after getting to 24 videos on the 1st page I got discouraged and decided to guess how many videos are posted here.

We have let's say 550 posts and if 10%, which is probably low, didn't post a video, that leaves 495 that did! So I think we have about that many vids and that is beyond great!! Wow!

Pat yourselves on the back and thanks to everyone that helped out here.

Last edited:

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I first heard this song with Ronnie Milsap singing-then I traced it back to it's writer Darrell Scott. Darrell is a scary good musician in that he writes, sings and plays really well. Plus, how many guys can say they've been in a band with Robert Plant and Buddy Miller?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been playing this song with an acoustic guitar in a bluegrass style. But now I want to pick up the bass and do it like this.

We're so lucky to have YouTube!

Last edited:

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
I started one of these about 6 months ago and it ended up with at least one person being banned for a time and got the thread closed. Please fill free to participate but also please refrain from any religious or political comments. The forum rules apply to this thread so please keep it on track.

All I'd like is a simple repository for gospel music links and general banter. Thanks in advance.

Elvis leads it off.

The Stamps Quartet were the backing vocalists for that performance, and for half of Elvis's touring days--Elvis seemed to alternate between the Stamps and the Jordanaires. I got to see JD Sumner (from the Stamps) in the 90s with another quartet he put together. JD Sumner and the Stamps Quartet were amazingly good!

I had this live recording on 8-track of JD Sumner & The Stamps--its a great live performance:

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's
I always thought his backing band was the Jordanaires until one day, playing how great thou art, my Dad says "Elvis and the Stamps". I learned something new that day.

Great song, thanks!