The good old days, then and now (sometimes it's not that long ago)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had DVRd the Garth Brooks Gershwin Award ceremonies a few days ago. To tell the truth, I thought it was the same as this bland stuff they've been showing on tv, like Elton John's special so hadn't watched it. Last night momma and I watched the Gershwin Awards show. Wow, it was just like old times! Seeing people dressed up, and a brilliant band, everything looking just like it did in the old days, A MONTH AGO! That's when the show was taped, March 4th 2020! Talking about the good old days, doodly, doodly, doodly, talking about the good old days. LAST MONTH.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

The best thing you can do is turn off the TV.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Don't worry. When the news gets too depressing they'll release something distracting like The Tiger King.
    Oh

4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

Did Chris Gaines perform?

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

When I'm not playing, I'm on my Kindle. Reading is far more entertaining than TV and it really sharpens your mind and memory.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Nope, I've just been watching things that are uplifting. For me, I never got around to watching some of the old really good matches on Shell's Wonderful World of golf. It's been very entertaining for me to watch great golfers from yesteryear going head to head against each other. Last night I watched Garth Brook's Greshwin award show, and was astounded by the difference a month could make in the way things were.

I get up in the morning, and think well, no mortars hit during the night, I'm thankful I'm here. I can't go anywhere, I'm glad the tv is still working, it may not be tomorrow.

8barlouie likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

I think Chris got hung up somewhere, he wasn't to be seen. Garth may be a bit shmaltzy for some, but you've got to hand it to him, he's lived life on his terms, and has had experiences not even rock stars can match.

posttoastie likes this.
  8. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Strangely, I don't think of sports/concerts as "TV." I'm talking about the mindless sitcoms and the fake news.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Even if things return to normal in five years or so, if you're gonna keep that mind sharp, and that memory churning, you're gonna have to get a BIGGER KINDLE!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Paulie_Boy likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Doodly, doodly, doodly?......sounds like someone is getting cabin fever goofy.
    By the way, you do know those dressed up audience members were all CGI, don't you? Even before the current crisis started, they figured it was cheaper to do it this way. ;)

11. Toto'sDad

I'm too dumb to follow sitcoms, and reality shows, that why I like sports, and concerts when I watch. Oh wait, I almost forgot Jack McCoy, I gotta have me some Law and Order! (I told you I was dumb)

12. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

@Toto'sDad You are right on both counts, and I mean no disrespect at all, what one person considers good music, will always considered garbage by others, and vice versa. Just my opinion, Garth's success is more due to the low bar for talent especially in "country" music since he broke on the scene, than to any modicum of talent he has.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

You just hadda do it!

[​IMG]

CCK1 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Yep!.....it's my job! ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I saw Garth on late night tv one time before he got going on being a big star. No kidding, I knew right then, he was gong to be really big one day. If he'd been a stock, I would have hocked the farm to buy some! I am right dead center among the great unwashed masses too dumb to know better, and I like Merle Haggard and George Jones better than anyone who's ever been on the rock scene. I was born dirt poor in Alabama, and even though I'm doing a little better now, you can't take the poor out of a poor boy! :lol:

CCK1 and nojazzhere like this.
  16. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

I heard that Chris Gaines may be touring with The wallflowers band.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

https://www.knxfm93.com

better yet... go out to the garage or shop and just clean it. Clean the shower.....

while you are doing that stuff... turn on this radio station and just feel 1979.... it was a fairly innocent age still.... go through your cupboards, stack up the stuff you don't need, organize, change the sheets on your bed, lay on the couch in the fancy living room and read old magazines and listen to KNX... it will chill you out...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I get you. I felt the same way the first time I heard/saw Taylor Swift. I can't imagine ever buying any of her music, I can't even imagine allowing one of her tunes to finish playing without changing stations if it were to come on the radio. It was just immediately obvious that this girl would need a warehouse to store the cash she was going to make. If she were a publicly traded company, I would've owned stock!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I like Garth, but haven't ever been to one of his shows. My daughter is not only a huge fan of Garth's but of Trisha's too. A couple or three years ago, she got her and her husband tickets to a Garth concert in L.A. booked a hotel, and arranged travel to and from the show. I can only guess at the expense, but she does well in her work, and can afford it, I'm glad she got to go. Garth proposed to Trisha right here in town at the Crystal Palace buck's old Saloon, and eatery! The thing that Garth really has going on, is that even though his fortune is measured in the hundreds of millions, he seems like a guy you could have a drink with, and play a few tunes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.