1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Good Old Days or the Future is bright?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by afteryou, Jul 28, 2014.

1. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

i was once in the F1 paddock at Silverstone race track at big test .A bunch of us reminisced about how the paddock was more relaxed ,fewer people ,no suits ,more friendly Ferrari barbecues that if you knew the right people got you a fabulous meal blah blah .(it was actually only great when it was dry and sunny ) A younger photographer on her first mission pulled us up and said "hey, this is MY good old days ,dont spoil it "She was right .Dont spoil kids good old days .They dont last long but at least lately they do actually have a hope of lasting at all .Our main troubles now seem to be worrying about people arriving to take jobs we lost long ago when we werent looking and wanted cheap guitars ,amps ,radios and cars .

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Give me a break. That could be a description of the Fifties.

Also, the old music hasn't gone away. Those recordings are still available to anyone who wants to listen to them. In face, the internet has made it easier to access the music of the past. So quite whining about today's music, and simply keep listening to the thousands of artists from the "good old days."

What I get frustrated with, however, is the obsolescence of a whole lot of stuff that I have bought over the decades. I don't know how many computers I've gone through, and I just gave away a perfectly good CRT television because the HD channels are sized wrong for that TV.

As for the "kids these days" crowd, here's an interesting article about Generation Z. The future is looking rather bright.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/cover-story-preview-get-ready-for-generation-z/

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Two weeks ago I visited a mansion that was turned into a museum of antique music boxes, full of mechanical giants like this:

[​IMG]

They also had some wax cylinder players. One of the titles on a cylinder caught my eye: "Henry Jones, your honeymoon is over". I was curious and later checked if it existed on YouTube -- yes indeed, from 1920.

Pre-internet, I wouldn't have never been able to find that.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, that was an interesting positive article about the future, but I'm afraid I don't buy it for a second. I had to teach both of my son-in-laws how to change a car tire when they were in their 20s. They are video junkies and the house next door could be burning down and they would never know it. I think, as a society, we went way down the wrong path and very difficult to turn around that trend.

I hope I'm so wrong.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The article is talking about people born after 1995. That does not include you sons-in law. It's about kids who are still in school.

Your anecdote about teaching 20-somethings how to change a tire is not enough to render the article invalid because that age group is not who the article is talking about.

6. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The good old days is right now, today, it's all I have.

7. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

So full of fallacies I don't know where to begin. The music of the '50s, '60s, and '70s were just as, if not more, reliant on "image, arrogance, and self-devotion." Can you imagine any given rock band in those epochs dressing like or looking like Joe Schmoe? Didn't arrogance break up countless classic rock bands?

Promo videos were made by many famous artists prior to MTV and were considered a visual art form to accompany the music as well to promote it. If anything, the MTV of the '80s and early '90s promoted rebellion, not contained it. It also introduced more esoteric genres of rock. By the mid '90s, MTV's demographic started changing and so they started more non-music based shows.

The only MTV I really watched after 1997 was "120 Minutes." I didn't care for the other, non-music related shows, and when I'd attempt to turn on MTV in the 2000s it was fully of the obviously scripted reality TV shows. Even if MTV did show music videos for most their programming, I probably wouldn't watch it as music videos I would not like to see would be filtered out by just going to youtube and seeing the music videos I do want to see. MTV obviously get viewers, but they don't go after the 30-something demographic.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm really addressing the trend and why I don't buy the post '95 generation article. I'm a baby boomer and I think my generation was the beginning of the trend (and most responsible for it). What kind of society change would alter this 60 year trend? I don't know, but if something could, I can't imagine it altering the trend for quite a long time. I could see it coming since about 1991. Basically, everything has come true so far and it will get worse. I'm sure that there will be some great people born after 1995, but so what? It won't matter.

Okay, time for me to go play some blues.

9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the 50's was a golden decade in this country, and we have been trying to get it back ever since.
    When millions of GI's returned from ww2, manufacturing exploded and we became the most productive society on earth.
    Good jobs that would allow a family to own their own home, raise and educate their children, take vacations every year and save for their futures were easily had to all who wanted them.
    A single income was enough for a middle class life.
    Healthcare was family doctors and charity hospitals.
    The middle class was something new to not only this country, but the world.
    The dismantling of the middle class and the difference between then and now is whats got everyone edgey.We just don't know how far we will fall before things begin to turn around, and that sickening feeling that it never will.
    The middle class has been gutted of all its strength and power, and it appears that anything that could benefit them is purposely squashed.
    We are a young country by any measure and we are probably going to repeat some of the same mistakes that other countries made during their growing up period.
    All we need is our own "Let them eat cake" episode and things could get interesting.

10. BigDaddyLH

Not golden for everyone, of course. It would have been golden for me, but then I'm a middle-class, white male.

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We look to the past with selective memory. I grew up in the 50's with Civil Defense Wardens, everyone worked up about Communists, the threat of nuclear war, I contracted polio, Pat Boone! Please. I'll take right now every time even though there are a lot of unthinking people trying to drag us backwards. It's not going to happen.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think if you read the OP you'll find he asked about YOU...not the world in general. That's why some people who had great pasts are stating such and the ones who didn't absolutely hate looking back...

Then there are those that will turn any thread into a "You are an old man and hate kids!" thread...

13. BigDaddyLH

I'm looking at the original post and while it does refer to "you", it doesn't instruct me to ignore that plight of everyone else. If It did, I'd like to be king, please.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Then it shall be so! I dub thee KING BIG DADDY the LH!:lol:

15. BigDaddyLH

My first edict is that none shall eat but with their fingers!

[​IMG]

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wench! More wine!

17. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

It's good to be king...
    And have your own way
    Get a feeling of peace
    At the end of the day.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

This right here.

Sure was plenty of good stuff around when I was growing up, but plenty of not-so-good stuff as well. I'll take today, and thankful for the opportunity!

19. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Second edict is banning soup!

20. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Does that include Ramen noodles?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.