1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Good Old Days or the Future is bright?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by afteryou, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

Just far enough to still be able to plug these things in.

2. BUILTACASTER

BUILTACASTER TDPRI Member

I smoke a pipe. It has water in it but it's not from a "white only" fountain. I'm not a big hat guy but when I do wear them I absolutely take them off as I enter a building. We can still enjoy a more simple way of life and having manners. It's just up to us to do it ourselves since Apple doesn't put "please remove head from ass when encountering humans" all over their ****ty guitars. They make the worst guitars. Speaking of ****ty guitars; I make mine with a router so Apple can CNC these...

3. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

There's never been a perfect time, but I was happiest in the 80s - things were simpler and people didn't seem to live so much in their heads.

There were no "best of" lists - and Stevie Ray was current while Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus hadn't even been thought of....yep, thems were good ol' days.

4. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Just one thing of many that I like about the now:

Being able to make a phone call when I break down on the road.

Any of you guys remember breaking down in your car on the road at night?; walking miles not knowing where you are? hoping to (maybe) find a phone to get help? The confusion, fatigue, doubt and fear?

Making a phone call anywhere, anytime is just one of the many things now that is much better than in the "good old days."

5. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure the old days were just fine, just as long as you were a heterosexual caucasian male - who was born in the right country.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Before I started hanging out in here... I hardly ever thought about old times/old music... the advent of youtube also gave some access to those times......

yeh, I had good times and a few bad times like most people.... the good always outweighs the bad, on reflection.... I live in the now... it's all I have really...

I never sat and wondered/dreamed.... somehow? I did those things at the time.... filled 2 passports.... I got around.... by land, sea and air.... freely traveled through places that are war zones now.....

I find it hard to believe that I did the things I did, saw the things I saw, went to the places I went... and still be here...

thinking back doesn't change anything.... it was what it was... to put a sugary glaze over any period of that time would do dis-service to all the other times you lived through..;)

7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Solipsism aside, college days were great. I sometimes miss the purple haze. . . .

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Though I do feel kinda smug.... having lived (by chance) through that time late 60's early 70's when the music came out everyone is still talking about.... LP after LP... you didn't have time to wear the last one out....

lucked out there... sorry about that, you kids of today..;)

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The LPs are still around though. I was born in '75 so missed the scene but totally dig all the music of the era. I've always been a backtracker anyway and these days I listen to a lot of music from the '40s and early 50's though I'm all over the map with genres -- Classical, Gypsy Jazz, Free Jazz, Early Electronic, Theremin music, Musique Concrete -- I'm into everything. My parents like that I'm into the music of their generation but they have said I can never really truly appreciate it because I wasn't there. Maybe they are right but I have got a lot out of it anyway and I still keep finding new old stuff that I dig and my tastes are infinitely more varied than theirs.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, I remember. And I remember being stuck in mud and finding sticks and gravel to put under my tires and using a car jack to get out... inch by inch. I remember being parked with girl friend in mom's car and the battery went dead. Walked down to the road and got a car to come help...no jumper cables. He parked so the bumpers touched and provided ground and I grabbed a scrap of barbed wire to use for the hot cable. It worked.

I've got endless stories of changing clutches in ditches, wheel bearings along the side of the road. I'm glad we DIDN'T have cell phones. I would never have learned some of those skills. And we wonder why our children can't even figure out how to check their own oil...

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't want to live at any other time than I did. I got to live through the good times of the late 50s saw the overwhelming changes of the 60s, the 70s well, I'm not at all sure if living through those were a plus or a minus but I had a blast, don't know about everyone else. The 80s, and 90s brought my greatest adventures, the turn of the century has proven to be different from all that went before. I've enjoyed all of it. I suspect that the times are what you make of them. I do think the last ten years has seen most of believing we have become unique, when we have actually perfected being anonymous. By that I mean, one penguin is quite anonymous, among a sea of penguins.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I have to say that I'm happy to have lived through that time, and been old enough to appreciate it! Dancing, drinking, snogging to those wonderful sounds, and going to concerts with the original bands producing them. But there were some rougher parts around those years too, so again, I don't spend nostalgia time with them. They're a memory, and I remember the good, forget the bad, and try to live for today. ;)

13. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

I can be nostalgic about the past, but not overly so I guess. I do lament the damage done to popular music. This graphic says it very well.

[​IMG]

14. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

One way to look at it is: You can still hunt a Buffalo with a stick, you just don't have to. Plus you get better medical care. Go watch "Midnight in Paris" by Woody Allen as they've said, it's a pop corn kind of movie (it's easy to watch) that talks a bit about that issue, of course, I have it too.

15. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Please...Tell me more about how perfect and virtuous your generation is.

16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently, perfect and virtuous enough to have made cars that break down with great regularity. :twisted:

Seriously, the ability to check oil is only useful if you have to check oil.

Since I've been able to afford newer vehicles, it's not a skill I use any more than I use a buggy whip.

17. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I want my MTV back - Portlandia

18. william tele

?????

How does perfect and virtuous relate to living a time when calling a tow truck was not an option?

Oh...forgot the :rolleyes:

19. william tele

Bingo! Now multiply that times the thousands of other skills we don't use anymore. We really don't have to do jack...and it shows.

I do have to confess my lack of skill at texting and driving...:lol:

20. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I sometimes wonder what may be happening to kids' brain development when they are on their phones 24/7. I think someone is looking into the "decline of play and the rise of mental health problems", wish I could remember the guy's name.

For myself, I'm on the fence. So much of what is touted as the hot "new" music is just twice-recycled stuff I listened to years and years ago.

I like my DSL and my TDPRI but it's sad to see whole families all glued to their damn phones and not interacting with each other.

Don't even get me started on texting and driving!

I painstakingly taught myself to play guitar and I do sometimes envy young players today because they can look up any lesson instantly on YouTube. My YT was picking up the needle and dropping it back into the section of EC's solo I was trying to cop off the Beano album.
    Musically, my own roots and therefore my standard is coming from The Beatles, Jimi, Jeff, Eric, BB, Robert Johnson, Hooker, and about 30 others.
    So much of what I see now is just crap, sorry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.