1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Good Old Days or the Future is bright?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by afteryou, Jul 28, 2014.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Products will always be available that did not have price in mind at all, but now those items are often old enough for even teenagers to afford. Just like how a 53 tele was simply used in the late 60's, today I have the largest German consumer table radio ever made, that originally was a fifth the price of a corvette, that I got for 50 bucks at a flea market. Also, today I can actually afford good quality gear on the cheap. A squier strat is as good playability wise as almost any off brand beginner guitar was in the 60's. Back in the day, items were expensive and consumer safety wasnt always there. In the future, I bet modeling amps will be as good as almost any real tube amp, but I guess that means I can get my vintage amps for relatively nothing, so I'm happy.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I think the communications aspect of our lives is fantastic. Far from causing us to isolate ourselves in computering, I think we generally are closer to people that ever before. I was very much out of touch with my 3 bandmates from our glory days. But now, we chat several times a week and regularly meet up to play and write songs. We had been scattered across the globe and were out of touch for maybe 20-30 years. Now I am together again with guys who I know will always have my back, who will always be there for me.

As for family, I do almost daily emails with one sister about books we are reading, and sharing cat photos and youtube videos. I often write to my mom about family lore. We five, count 'em, five, sibs all email ourselves as a group, usually with Mom included. Whenever there is a health issue with her, we all join in to help her with things. She loves knowing how much we care for her and will pitch in to help her out.

Finally, my professional world as a composer requires that I communicate with performers and institutions. It was very difficult to do that over long distances with letters and materials sent through the mail. How much easier it is nowadays.

In teaching, whenever a composer or composition is mentioned, we can find someone's music on youtube or soundcloud. Similarly, if a performer or prospective student wants to contact me, I am just an email away.

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I'm just old enough to remember Caucasian-only drinking fountains. The good old days weren't all that good. I do kind of miss men wearing hats and smoking pipes, though.

4. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

Two words: Bob Dylan

5. kend

kend Tele-Meister

I've had some good old days but whole lot of stuff I dont ever want to go back to. If someone said to me that I could go back and do it all again i'd say "no thanks".
    I think these are better days, but they have their share of ugliness.

That said, I believe attitude makes a big difference in day to day life, so I try to be pleasant to be around and not put others down.

I have always believed you can get through the ugliest of days if you are surrounded by the right people.

For you, life can be as positive as your willing to keep a positive outlook. In your 30's you have time to make some good memories, so stop worrying about it and go make some!

6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

The Times They Are A-Changin?

7. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Things today are easier in so many ways, but better is an impossible thing to quantify. From a personal standpoint I definitely long for the good old days and have absolutely no faith in the future.

8. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

I wish a buck was still silver back when the country was strong........are the good times really over for good?

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Nostalgia is an interesting phenomena. People have a tendency to cling to a remembered past due to melancholia related to rapid changes around them -- and rapid change is the central feature of modernity. Karl Marx once said that "all that is solid melts into air". Most of the time you're actually living in the golden years but you don't know until they're gone. It's the subject of a lot of songs. "Glory Days" by Springsteen, "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden come to mind. Woody Allen's "Midnight In Paris" is a cool film that explores it too. In this film a writer, who is a time traveler, goes back to his favorite era -- Paris in the 1920s -- but a woman whom he has a relationship with wants to travel to her nostalgized era the Belle Époque 1890s period. The point Allen is trying to make is that every era/generation has it own nostalgized time (remember Happy Days set in the '50s/'60s but made in the '70s). You just have to remember that even today is the nostalgized past for someone in the future. Live for today.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I keep yearning for the good ol' days.
    But they were sooo long ago, I can't remember when they were. :)

11. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

These are the good old days.

20 years from now I will look back fondly on these times and wish I could relive them.

And yet now I spend my time wishing I was 20 years younger instead of enjoying the present.

12. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

That is a great film. Owen Wilson deliver again. I highly recommend it to everyone on this forum. I'm sure a few will like it. If you like psychology, philosophy, history, girls, and music you'll like it.

If there one syndrome I have it's nostalgia syndrome. Which is weird because I didn't live in the time periods I dream of. It makes it worse on me because I think in reality I have romanticized it to be better than it actually was.

I act like I'm 45-70 years old right now. All I do is sit at home and play guitar. I go nowhere and do nothing fun. That's why when I get back to Nashville I'm making a VOW to start going out and doing things. And trying to find or start a band before I waste my time away.

13. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

It's a mixed bag. Many good things have come about in the last 30 years. One thing that is on the decline however is civility and respect. Maybe it's social media fueling the fire, but this is definitely one change that is not for the better.

14. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I am really, REALLY bad at romanticizing the past. I remember it too well...

15. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you were born with an old soul. :lol:

Seriously, in my mind the period between high school and the start of your adult life can be a killer. (Maybe I should have made that the period between school, since I imagine college in a way delays the start of adulthood, too) You feel like you should be doing something, but you don't know how. You find people you knew just a few years ago have become strangers, the shared life you all had in school behind you and the future very much uncertain. I recall very little of my mid-20's, much of it because I felt trapped but simply didn't understand how to brake out.

Why wait until you get back to Nashville? Strikes me it would be a lot easier to join a band now, wherever you are, and put yourself out there. Whatever you choose, good luck!

16. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems like the younger people are, the more they tend to be positive about the future and the older they get, the more they get nostalgic. John Mellencamp said it best in the liner notes to Scarecrow "there is nothing happier or sadder than generations changing hands"

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No one can speak for anyone else. I had what some would call "devastating" events in my young life. I faced them and embraced every single day with enthusiastic anticipation. I absolutely loved my teens and twenty's and everything about those days in the 60's and 70's.

I still love life... but you can't expect someone who's 60 to view today's ideals as an improvement over the freedoms and liberties that he grew up with.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm extremely pessimistic about the future, especially for the grand kids, but I'm living life to the fullest, without regret, my way and loving every minute. Twenty five years ago, living and working in Silicon Valley, I thought that I belonged in the 1800s, dissing modern technology. Today, I love my wood fired cookstove, hunting, fishing, and splitting wood for the winter, but at the same time, I enjoy my telecaster and my amps and learning from everyone here on TDPRI. I really try not to think about the future and live for today.

19. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I try to take it one day at a time. I had some real wonderful times in the past, but also some terrible, terrible times that I don't even like to think about, so I even kind of struggle against nostalgia. With my current health situation the future can hold a lot of different things, so I try to live for today. One day at a time.

20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Ah, the good old days, when a 40 year old man was elderly and families gathered round to watch a nice, wholesome crucifixion...

In all seriousness, when people start yearning for the past, it makes me wonder what they're doing wrong now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.