1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Good Old Days or the Future is bright?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by afteryou, Jul 28, 2014.

1. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

Which side of the fence are you on?

I seem to always be yearning for the good ol’ days. The problem is that the past just keeps getting farther away no matter how much I want it to stop.:lol:

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate technology, it makes my life easier everyday, but this is where I struggle, how easy should things be? It seems like there must be a happy medium somewhere between hunting a Buffalo with a stick and ordering dinner online with your ipad while watching television.:D

Where do you stand? Where is your happy medium?

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

3. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Tuberculosis, rickets, diphtheria and polio were very overrated

4. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

This is the easy answer. I realize that with the good comes bad in both directions. Is a reduction in hardship worth making some of our children lazy? Also I never said you had to go all the way back to the stick and rock era.:lol: Where would you like to be. If it's in the future paint us a picture. Tell us what you would like to see.

5. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

When, in your world, was the 'rock and stick era'?

The diseases I listed were still prevalent in the western world after WWII. They're still around, particularly in underdeveloped countries.

Civilisation didn't start with Steve Jobs you know ;)

6. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

At one time the good old days were cutting edge. I remember when new music was good, at least to me, not so much my dad. How far back are we going to get the real good old days?

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

"Grandpa, Tell me bout the Good Ole Days"

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Both can be fine points of view. The Good Ol' Days have traditions, tried and true time-tested stuff, reliability, classiness, but also dogma, past mistakes, and sometimes a lazy adherence to the status quo. A "future is bright" point of view has just as many pro's and con's in the opposite direction. Progress (good and bad) discovery (good and bad) etc.

It's not like there's really a fence there after all.

9. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

I guess I should clarify. I don't know when the good old days past us by, or if they ever will be. I am just curious what you guys have to say on the subject. Where do we as a community stand? It does seem to me that most people embrace the future rather than yearn for the days gone bye. I'm cool with that.:D

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Care to pick a year?

11. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

1974 was pretty col.

I was 18 and getting laid a lot:)

12. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

I'm thinkin' somewhere between 1950 and 1985. Sorry that's as close as I can get.:lol:

13. BigDaddyLH

How does the US's civil rights movement fit into this? That hardly makes the 50s the good old days.

14. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the demographic, so, yeah, I agree. The 90s were the good old days for me, but I'm only 32 so that may come with plenty of scoffing around here. It was relatively peaceful, the economy was booming and had a budget surplus, and up until about 1997 I loved a lot of the music (but I love a lot of classic rock, older punk, et cetera too!). I can't say I yearn for those days though. I'm more on the Timbuk 3 side of things and have my shades.

15. BigDaddyLH

I tend to believe the analyses that society is creeping forward: advancements in civil right, same sex marriage etc...

As for music? I think most people like the music that's around in their youth.

16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

There were never any good ol' days; they are today, they are tomorrow. It's just [a] stupid thing we say, cursing tomorrow with sorrow

-Gogol Bordello

The past must've been a fantastic place with no problems whatsoever (sarcasm)...

...at least, according to all the old people I hear ranting and griping about us damn lazy Millennials. I try not to let it get to me, but it really gets tiring hearing about how your generation sucks day in and day out.

17. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

True. There are some new bands I'm into now, though. I like a lot of the dream pop "revival" type music, even though a lot of it is done on synths.

18. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

In before the lock.

I'm afraid of the future, mostly because of certain 'technologies', but I'm old enough now that I won't have to live in all that much of it, so what the heck.

My 'good old days' were probably in the late 60's through the first half of the 70's, but I wasn't aware of it until much later.

19. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

So you want to put all the iphones back in the boxes?

20. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

Just curious. Why do you think this thread will be locked? Did I overstep the rules? If I did I apologize.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.