The GoGo’s. New Years Eve.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
When they started they were call The Bangs, they were Go Go wanna be's who gagged on a silver spoon.They too fired their first bass player Annette and list their original soul.

IIRC, Annette has said that she left on her own volition to form Blood on the Saddle. She's been back in the Bangles since 2018.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m just a fan and the perfect age to have loved “Beauty And The Beat” in 1982 with same fervor that I loved the Police and Rush. In retrospect, I bet the time when Peter Case was living with Charlotte Caffey was pretty great. The dude from the Plimsouls dating the babe from the Go Go’s in LA in 1982 with both of their records all over the radio? That’s totally rad.

Unfortunately, only the Go-Go's were really all over the radio, which probably wasn't great for Case's ego. I'm a huge fan of The Plimsouls. "Everywhere at Once" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I saw them live every chance I could get.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
That's really interesting because from my casual observation of them, I thought they were all sort of teetotalers. Just seemed like like a corporate pop band. I was thinking about the "Vacation" video, it just seemed really cheesy and staged like the Monkees.

They were pretty blotto drunk during the making of the "Vacation" video.

As others have noted, The Go-Go's were at ground zero of the L.A. punk scene. So while they later achieved well-earned pop success, their punk cred is pretty unimpeachable.

"I disagree with you there fella. Although their first #1 hit, Walk Like An Egyptian, was written by Liam Sternberg for Toni Basil (the girl who sang Micky), Eternal Flame, the Bangles 2nd #1 hit was co-written by Susanna Hoffs, and I personally think Susanna Hoffs was a good songwriter. After all, she is the Bangles. Plus she was one of the first female rockstars to get her own signature guitar (in this case, a Rickenbacker.)"
And there is this...

Hoffs is the Bangles? I hope the Peterson sisters don't get your address, 'cause they might try to put some hurt on you. ;) Hoffs and the Petersons shared lead vocals, with Steele helping out occasionally, and Vicki Peterson probably did more of the writing than Hoffs.

tomkatf

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
They were pretty blotto drunk during the making of the "Vacation" video.

As others have noted, The Go-Go's were at ground zero of the L.A. punk scene. So while they later achieved well-earned pop success, their punk cred is pretty unimpeachable.
Hoffs is the Bangles? I hope the Peterson sisters don't get your address, 'cause they might try to put some hurt on you. ;) Hoffs and the Petersons shared lead vocals, with Steele helping out occasionally, and Vicki Peterson probably did more of the writing than Hoffs.

Photo I took of BC around the release of the"Vacation" album... c.'82. I had a brief shoot with her and Kathy.

PS I'll keep an eye out for the Petersons... ;) Somewhere I've still got some early live photos of the Bangles at the Whiskey...

gogo1w.jpg

StephenDeBoard

TDPRI Member
"I disagree with you there fella. Although their first #1 hit, Walk Like An Egyptian, was written by Liam Sternberg for Toni Basil (the girl who sang Micky), Eternal Flame, the Bangles 2nd #1 hit was co-written by Susanna Hoffs, and I personally think Susanna Hoffs was a good songwriter. After all, she is the Bangles. Plus she was one of the first female rockstars to get her own signature guitar (in this case, a Rickenbacker.)"
And there is this...

This is the best version of this song I've ever heard. Susanna Hoffs owns this song from my perspective now.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
I saw The GoGos play in the mid 80s in Atlanta at the Omni when they opened for The Police. I was a BIG Police fan (still am) and was looking forward to seeing them. The GoGos did their set and sounded fantastic. Great energy and great rhythm section - the drums and bass were kickin'. The vocals were strong and clear, soaring above it all. It was great fun. The Police? Honestly a bit of a disappointment.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Maybe gray, but still cute as hell. Definitely my favorite Go Go.

I was surprised to find that, when I saw the Go-Go's up-close-and-in-person on a number of occasions in the '90s and 2000s, not necessarily performing, bassist Kathy Valentine was the cutest. Then again, when I encountered her sans makeup in the parking lot of Trader Joe's in Studio City -- always a traumatic experience -- she didn't look so great.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
Unlike The Bangles, the Go-Go's wrote all their own tunes (save for a cover of "Cool Jerk") and insisted on playing their own instruments. More importantly, the Go-Go's were just better songwriters. But I do really like The Bangles' first album "All Over the Place."

A million years ago, I wrote a story about the Go-Go's sex tape for the underground magazine Film Threat. I always liked the intro.

1-07a570c458.jpg

A guy I used to work with was a lifeguard for the city beach, back in the '80s.

The Go-Go's were playing a small club on their first tour, and were spending some time at the beach - their road manager was trying really hard to get my buddy to come to the show to "meet the band" but he turned them down. Stupid move.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity

The Go-Go's were playing a small club on their first tour, and were spending some time at the beach - their road manager was trying really hard to get my buddy to come to the show to "meet the band" but he turned them down. Stupid move.

I'm crying a little right now.

Rick Schmidlin

TDPRI Member

Was that Kent Smyth or Lydia?

Telecasterless

Friend of Leo's
1982 vs 2022. They’re playing New Year’s Eve in Vegas. I’ll admit it. I really want to go. It’s going
to be a party.

12-A9-E855-07-E3-4786-B5-A2-DD23686-C3275.jpg

Jane Wiedin (Guitar - green hair) grew up in Oconomowoc WI - my previous home town. I’d like to see her play live. There aren’t many rock stars from Oconomowoc WI.

B34-FC6-C4-F113-4435-83-CB-7-DCE04-AE1886.jpg
My wife is taking my 12 year old daughter and another mom/daughter pair to see them just after xmas. They should have fun.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
Charlotte also played on Jewel’s 1995 album Pieces Of You.

Here she is playing a Telecaster
8D71E35D-41C4-4546-A1D5-55C71549A796.jpeg
She also played a Jazzmaster for a time