The Gigging Guitarist, Not For the Faint of Heart

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Man, if you can play 3 chords and enjoy it, that’s where it’s at. Don’t kick yourself. Just be glad you picked it back up. Enjoy it.

telestratosonic and DekeDog like this.
  2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Yep.

3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play funk ...

... coupla licks and a LOT of right hand ...

... oh, wait, that sounds weird ...

4. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

After many years and some success pursuing original music and working really crappy jobs that I didn’t mind losing when touring got in the way, I shifted my focus to corporate events, weddings and other paying gigs. For the past 15 years, I have made a good living playing guitar and singing in those bands whole also maintaining a rewarding songwriting and recording and original performance schedule that I do for love and not in any effort to “make it”. I do that because that’s what I do.
    It has been a major stretch of my musicianship as I was never the guitar player in any band, I was always a bass player and that is still what I would consider my primary instrument. It had also been much more lucrative and more rewarding than any other “straight” job I am qualified to do and I sincerely appreciate the gift of having the skills to add joy to someone’s special event. I have been part of hundreds of very important nights to the people who hire my band. It’s honest work.

5. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately for me (or possibly some of you) audiences can be VERY meh about performers playing a solo acoustic set at the venue.

Is it too much to ask for some of those solo performers to pull out a Telecaster, instead or for 1/2 the songs?

Rockinvet likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All of the above.

Well, not all. I've never played a Van Halen or Journey piece, not even while putzing in my living room.

But I suppose I would have, if either had ever showed up and hired me. They'd have needed to provide charts in advance however, because I don't know their material.

Being an accompanist, a 'side guy' as it were, it isn't about genre...never was. I'm good with whatever. From an orchestra to a dive bar...no, it wasn't ever about genre.

It's about making music with my friends.

Rockinvet likes this.
  7. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Man, I miss Brent.

Rockinvet and getbent like this.
  8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

You need to be able to wing it. I play the solo of Van Halen’s jump countrystyle. It works. Just go for it folks, don’t be scared

getbent likes this.
  9. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

If I can get a gig with my meagre playing styles I'm happy enough

A ragged bunk of licks in the key of...……….
    80's pinch squeals and whammy tricks, tapping (lots of people haven't heard that **** the first time round so are kind of amazed :))
    Cowboy chords and bass runs/add 9/Sus 2and 4 with capo :(
    Simple funk often at inappropriate moments
    Playing mixolydian shapes over major shapes can sound just enough 'out' to be cool or Jazz to some people
    Playing ska upstrokes in a rock song can really upset singers
    Massive over vibrato any time rock gain is added to my sound

Ability to sing 5th above or below most lead singers to 'help'

By the 5th rehearsal most people are sick of this stuff so I have to behave myself if I wasn't to continue...………………..

Rockinvet likes this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I'm a "fixer." My profession is labeled "Sound Designer for Film and Video." That's a recording engineer/producer who has been handed the responsibility to create the overall sound character of a production, including dialog, sound effects, ambiences, and musical score. It is literally the last stage in film and video production. However, there are many, many situations where a contract is put out for a score and the tendered recorded score just doesn't work. By the time that decision is made, the director is usually under extreme time pressure to finish and deliver the product at the designated time and date. When that happens, the first person they turn to is the sound designer. "Can you fix this?"

Surprisingly, the same happens with albums and songs. My work with film and video has led to being a fixer for songs and albums.

What does a fixer do? He takes a listen to a song or a piece of music, breaks it down to its elements, and figures out what needs to removed or added to make it work. Then he takes the multitrack recordings and executes all that,either by himself or with musician contractors and then mixes the product, and hands it back to the director or album producer as a finished, working, marketable item. I never thought I would end up doing this. I may strip out the drums and re-perform them. I may add synths, strings, brass, or whatever is necessary to fill out an under-performing song. I may compose new material to go in a slot where the existing cue isn't working. My favorite is when I get to create and perform guitar parts. I am astounded at how few people in the business seem to know how to create, voice, and record guitar parts. I mean, how many decades has the guitar dominated the music scene?

And the variety of music I play on is phenomenal. This week it is Motown. Next week it is a Toto sound-alike. I visit the delta with a resonator next. The week after it can be a Doobie-esque piece. The next week I'm doing an electronic music score for a horror scene. The next week it is a gospel piece. How about a ZZTop-esque shuffle complete with greasy slide leads? And the next week I may have my left foot on a footstool playing a classical score.

All those years watching every act on ABC's In Concert Tonight and Midnight Special finally paid off, as well as the classical guitar lessons, music theory, and composition courses in college.

Bob

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

me too.

and man, I LOVED that band.. so many great players, they coulda really been amazing if Clive had stuck around (this was during the scandal) oh well, one great record is better than none... they tracked a second record but it never got released... I'd LOVE to have heard that!

FLHT likes this.
  12. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Oh wow, I didn't know they recorded a second album. It's a damn shame we never got to hear it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.