The Gibson Player Port... seriously?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by HaroldBKNY, Sep 22, 2021.

1. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

Gibson just announced a new line of guitars, which have a soundhole cut out of the side so you can immerse yourself in your own sound, "deepening your understanding of the chords and notes you play". When I search about the guitar online, all I see is a slew of articles released seemingly in tandem with the announcement (most certainly not paid for by Gibson) applauding this ingenuity, saying that this is "solving an age-old problem," etc.

I'm not much of an acoustic guy, so maybe I'm off base, but to me this sounds kind of ridiculous. I don't think that anyone has ever had trouble hearing their own acoustic guitar. It seems that post-bankrupcy, Gibson is finally back to doing what they do best: solving problems that never existed to begin with, in order to sell overpriced gear that no one wants (read: Robot Guitar, Dark Fire, Firebird X)

2. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I think this is an actual thing. A good acoustic, or at least my experience of good classical guitars, is that they project their sound outward, away from the player. I have a nice concert guitar that sounds epic recorded, or sitting in front of the player, but nowhere near as impressive to the player themselves.
    Of course, I expect that what Gibson are doing fits within a zero sum game. More tone to the player’s ears means less tone for the audience. Are these marketed as bedroom guitars?

NikkiM, demon and 57joonya like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This is nothing new. A boatload of makers have been incorporating a port in the upper bout of the acoustic guitar to project sound toward the player's ears.

Eastman, McNeill, Belanger, and even Michael Kelly are a few of the many brands that offer this feature.

[​IMG]

MickM, Wally, NikkiM and 34 others like this.
  4. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Where's my jigsaw...?

nickmsmith, johmica, Wyzsard and 3 others like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

Man the o.p sounds as furious as I usually do, you’d think Gibson just cut a hole in a guitar that pipes the players farts directly to their face

Yea, as @Peegoo states this isn’t anything new or surprising, lots of companies do it, I used to see it a lot on expensive “boutique” guitars

6. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Hmmmm.could THIS be the reason why I always feel like other people sound better playing my guitars than I do? Huzzah!

7. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

I've seen that a lot too. While it may be a good feature for players having problems hearing themselves in some situations, it impacts projection of the guitar a bit, as some air escapes through the port and is not being pumped out through the main soundhole. That is not a big issue, but is good to know about. Many builders will do the port smaller.

8. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

I know of acoustic players who din’t like the look of those side mounted pickups, took them out and discovered an unexpected side port they liked! Tacoma players, for example

9. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Don't forget the reverse V! :lol:

[​IMG]

... and just WOW, the slew of unnecessary switches and thingamabobs on the LP standard.
    Who even asked for that?! (I'm guessing absolutely nobody ever... or the people who asked for "Coke Cucumber/Carambola decaf"... that's not thing yet? Oh...)

I don't want to see "innovation" from Gibson. Gibson should be one of the standard bearers of meticulously slow-cooked tradition.
    Can I please have my LP Standard without the Fisher Price junk? Why yes I can... it's called the Traditional. (and that's what I have)
    However, I concur with a great man who wrote on the Intarwebs saying something to the effect of "yeah, there's the Traditional but
    that spec should be the Standard and what is called Standard today should be called something like Futura or somesuch".

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have a Clearwater Bohemian, a sort of Gypsy Jazz Electro-acoustic. I bought it used for £60, and when I collected it was given a handful of gypsy jazz CDs by the owner. What is more concerning than the additional soundholes is the non-slotted headstock, and standard bridge rather than moustache bridge and tailpiece, but I was looking for a beater, rather than authentic Selmer. The additional soundholes work fine. Whilst my Yamaha LL11e is a much better and more playable guitar, I enjoy the experience of playing this one more. Everyone tells me it sounds fine in intimate settings, and if I need to perform with it I plug it into the PA system. If you get the opportunity to try a guitar with a soundhole on the rim do give it a go, you may well enjoy it

upload_2021-9-22_10-3-57.jpeg

Taken from the web - The main soundhole is a recreation of the Selmer Oval or "Petite Bouche". However the two auxiliary side mounted "soundports" approximate the soundhole area of the earlier large D-hole "Grande Bouche" models. As well as producing increased upper midrange in the tone these soundports act like a personal monitor, allowing the player to hear the instrument from the listeners perspective. Once you've experienced the almost "surround sound" effect of the soundports you'll wonder how you lived without them!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    NikkiM, fretWalkr, Peegoo and 3 others like this.
  11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

If I had one of those, it'd be filled with snot, saliva, and tears in no time (messy singer/harmonica player).

John Owen and gregulator450 like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    Easier to recover lost plectra..

Yep. Not a new idea though.

NikkiM, elihu, Mike M and 5 others like this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar evolved in a constant effort to overcome the fact that that it just wasn't loud enough. Steel strings, bigger soundboxes, arched tops--all efforts to make it louder in the era before amplification became possible.

Amplification makes all that really un-necessary, so why not design an acoustic guitar that's really pleasing to the player, since it will inevitably have to be amplified in almost any performance situation?

As everybody else has mentioned, sound ports are really common among high end makers

demon, Octorfunk, Peegoo and 4 others like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve always heard you should bring someone along who plays when acoustic shopping so you can sit in front of them and hear how it really sounds

Woe! I didn’t know you could pluralize “plectrum” I like it!

Sounds hot!

“Oh yeah I’m diddleing around with my plectra”

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    P Thought, PCollen and Tom-Australia like this.
  15. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

"messy singer/harmonica player"... that explains the snot and the saliva.
    Where do the tears come from? Laughing your butt off at the racket/mess that the drooling, runny nosed singer-song-writer produces(EDIT: Who says we can't laugh at ourselves)?
    I know I am just thinking about it. :lol:

Seasicksailor likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The beauty of acoustic guitars is that you can both hear & feel the notes. Why cut up the side, as well? As one previous poster indicated, it sounds more like solving a problem that didn't exist. The plus side is that it gives the rest of us something to laugh at besides the player's wardrobe, while in disbelief that someone actually fell for the marketing.

NikkiM and David C like this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Is that the ONLY sound hole/port on the guitar. If so, I hope they are electro/acoustic.

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I saw Elton John's guitarist (what's his name ? ) play one of these reverse V Gibsons live a few years ago.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ever played an acoustic?

Then handed that same acoustic to someone else to play?

Try it and get back to us.

By then I suspect you’ll have found other random things to condemn Gibson for anyway.

20. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

The soundport works fine on a guitar that is an efficient air pump. An overbuilt production line guitar is less likely to possess the qualities needed to make it a good candidate for a soundport. Plus, having that ability to more closely hear what the audience/listeners hear is, for a lot of players, a good thing.

The soundport is used on many well built luthier guitars these days.

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.