1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Gen Z kids are quite different from the previous generations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I have two sons, one born in 1990 who is a Millennial, and another born in 1998 who is part of Generation Z, or the Zoomers as they are called.

As a Boomer, I identify alot closer to my Millennial son than I do with my younger Z son. The Millennials and I like alot of the same things and have shared similar life experiences.

These Z kids however seem to be very different from the previous generations. They were born after 9/11, they had tablets in their cribs since they were babies, they've had cell phones and smart phones since they started grade school, they've been on social media their entire lives.

And IMO the Zoomers are way more cynical, biting, sarcastic, caustic, anxiety ridden, yet incredibly smart good natured damn funny kids.

It just seems to me that Gen Z is way different from the previous generations, as far apart from the Millennials as the Boomers were from the Greatest Generation kids born in the 20s 30s and early 40s.

Anyone else seeing this too? My two sons are 8 years apart but they couldn't be more different.. in how they dress, think, the music they like, the way they hang out with friends.

Its going to be very interesting when the Gen Z kids start hitting the workforce hard in a few years. I think they'll be having a much bigger impact on society than the Gen Y and Millennials ever did.... for better or worse.

Good kids tho, proud of both of my sons.

Cheers

2. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Wait, 1998 happened after 2001 ;)

I don't have kids but being a Millennial myself I feel similar. And what aboutthe kids growing up with Zoom for school? Missing out senior year? Freshman year?

3. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

I was born in '90, same as your oldest. We were born at an interesting time because we were the very last group brought in before the advent of modern technology as we know it today. We got to have a relatively "conventional" childhood, but modern tech was still normalized young enough in our lives that we're naturally comfortable and capable with it. Got to have a foot in both worlds, so to speak. I reflect on that a lot; the ways in which it was both a boon and a detriment.

I have a younger brother who was born in '98, same as your youngest. I notice more similarities than differences overall, but the major ones definitely reside in areas like attention span, reliance on technology, modes of entertainment, etc.

String Tree, Speedfish, irie and 4 others like this.
  4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Nothing really new since Gen X on an objective point of view.

By the way, due to the huge huge increase in popularity of smartphone, Zoomers tends to master MUCH less technology than you'll have to 15/20 years ago.

Since Apple UI was to be used by everyone, the global generation including mine, is often off the knowledge, unless they've studied it.

Yet they know how to do basic stuff regarding computer, but nothing much more. (It applies to a lot of people tho).

5. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

It'll be their world soon. Or somebody's.

stormsedge likes this.
  6. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Honestly I think you're describing every generation's teen & 20's.
    We had the Cold War...remember "The Day After" TV movie & the anxiety of that era. Movie scared the crap out of me....and that was a very real possibility. Still is...but nowhere near the heightened level of then.
    WW2/Depression era grandparents, Vietnam vet dads and/or hippie or former hippie parents...I grew up in Houston too & went to Robert E Lee HS & still had several classmates lamenting their real name after it was made public in yearbooks...parents who were former hippies.

I'm the most cynical & sarcastic person you'd ever meet...but so where almost all my friends. We had Apple 2 computers, Atari, Betamax/VHS...tape decks in cars things my parents could never have imagined.
    You and I were teenagers & in our 20's in the 80's...Frankie Says t-shirts, big hair & Spandex wearing musicians, punk hair vs the bell bottoms, Leisure Suits & chukka boot wearing teens of the 70's. That 8 year gap is HUGE when you're young...to you & me 8 years was yesterday & we probably wear some of the same shirts from 2012. Styles only change for the young.

I really think kids are pretty much the same as we were, just in a different world. About a third of the people I work with are mid-20's. I've never had kids, so I'm more like their Uncle than a father figure & they'll act a little more relaxed & unguarded around me than my other coworkers who are also someone's mom or dad. I don't see that much difference, a little, but most of what they talk about, do & react to isn't very different than what I remember doing. One reason for some of the perceived differences is the what societal norms are today vs. 30, 40,50 60 years ago. I'm sure my boomer parent's friends weren't too much different than mine were, except I could do & say things & express myself that never would have gone over well in the 50's....smoking pot, being friends with minorities, having sex. They did all those things...but God help you if anyone found out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    cnlbb and Blrfl like this.
  7. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

A few observations, I have seen exactly what Big_Bend is talking about in my own kids. But I do think we can have conformation bias. Quite a few of my millenial kids friends are 30 something slackers but most grew up and got good jobs and have done well. My Gen Z daughter is at college and is doing well, she wanted extra money but didn't want to ask us so she just got a job. She is cynical but extremely practical.

As far as Millenials, I do some work for a silicon valley startup and work with mostly Millenials and they are some of the hardest working people i've ever worked with.

imwjl and Dereksys38 like this.
  8. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Don’t worry. Once they have to start working for a living they will be just like everyone else.

SoK66, imwjl, medownsouth and 10 others like this.
  9. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Aftermath likes this.
  10. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Yes

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It’s funny that you mention that things in common with your older son
    It seems like with technology that the generation gaps are getting smaller

As you mentioned childhood, stuff I did as a kid I can relate to those born in the 80’s, 70’s but the kids today don’t seem to be able to relate to the previous generations and I’m sure kids born 10 years after them will be in a whole other world

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Ha! , I just went a steady job and a paid off house

Seems like the ideals are very different today

no doz, getbent and RhinestoneStrat like this.
  13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Keith Richard's?

14. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

:cool:

[​IMG]

farmcaster, RomanS, Danb541 and 6 others like this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My brother and I are 5.5 years apart...he was born in 1964, which by some measures, *technically* makes him a Boomer.

I was born in 1970, which makes me a Gen X-er...although I never identified with many of the stereotypes of that generation...of course, I never identified with many stereotypes, period—I’ve always marched to my own drummer.

We are as different as night and day, personality-wise, looks-wise, life/career choices and even in our tastes.

He does not like me, and I do my best to get along with him. Recently, it came out that he feels I have “had it too easy, and I have advantages he never had...”

The actual difference is that I’m not a risk-taker, and although I’ve had rough financial circumstances off and on, I rarely if ever put myself in those circumstances. He is always chasing some bizarre get-rich-quick scheme, and gets angry when I won’t “invest” in him (or the scheme)...on the other hand, I’ll take the safer financial route, which has led to...fewer busts (amazing how that works).

We have similar voices and mannerisms (picked up from our father, mostly), and that’s the only way you can tell that we are brothers.

The differences between your kids may just be the weird genetic influences our DNA and circumstances thrust upon us—because we were raised by the same parents, in the same house, under the same circumstances, just a few years apart.

Fretting out, Danb541 and archetype like this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Not sure about a gen Z, but what I see, is a dismissal of about everything generated by prior gens and prior decisions, and about everything bad, assigned to prior generations and decisions, and therefore a systemic rejection of anything from prior gens and decisions, irrationally. All gens and decisions prior = all things present, and all present = bad, so all things must change. I would quip that the weather is now my fault, but that no longer represents an extreme facetious analogy to them.

El Tele Lobo, Danb541 and artisan4 like this.
  17. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Two kids is a pretty small trial sample. I don't think you can read anything into it other than your kids are different from each other.

Your younger one is probably just still in his cynical phase.

Now when the robots take over - that's a different story . . . generation 2.57UHFT4ZZZ. What's that all about???

jvin248, Dereksys38 and elihu like this.
  18. artisan4

artisan4 TDPRI Member

I work with a lot of younger people (I'm 59), and I feel completely alienated from them. I don't know what generation is what, but I only feel comfortable around my own generation and older people, who have manners. I'm sure ageism has something to do with it/their view of me. I don't share their politics or obsessions with race and gender. I look forward to retiring and being around like-minded folk.

howardlo and Rockinvet like this.
  19. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

If you’re feeling ageist, take the time to get to know someone of a different age on a personal level. Helps to humanize them and remove any knee jerk stereotypes you may have inadvertently developed.

20. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I too love making generalizations about people based on when they were born. I also base my entire personality and worldviews on my zodiac sign. Women love the zodiac stuff I'll tell you that much.

middy, Teleka, Preacher and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.