1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The future of Peavey

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jayroc1, Feb 17, 2021.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Peavey still makes good stuff, like any manufacturer you gotta do your due diligence. I think they’ll stick to their core business which is pro audio, and continue operations for the foreseeable future.

kodiakblair likes this.
  2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

As a result of the Undercover Boss episode, Peavey is dead to me. As is Budda, Trace Elliot, and all other brands they have acquired or started up.

Hartley Peavey and his stepson, Courtland Gray, are reprehensible human beings. If I ever have the opportunity, I will say that to their faces.

My Church has some Peavey equipment. It is now in storage. I refuse to have their logo on display on any stage I share. I’ve replaced the Peavey gear at my Church at my own expense.

The song that ran through my head during that Undercover Boss episode was:
    “If I listened long enough to you,
    I’d find a way to believe it’s all true.
    Knowing... that you lied, straight-faced, while I cried...
    Still I look to find a reason to believe.”​

Those poor workers in Meridian, MS that turned down other jobs based upon those liars’ promises, only to be let go weeks later, didn’t deserve to have that happen to them. The only way I can support them is to do what I’m doing by boycotting the use of Peavey products, even regarding equipment that has been bought and paid for. They don’t deserve to have their brand displayed - anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Not to mention, their gear has become crap. My favourite moment was when the hired soundman blames the Peavey gear for the dreadful sound from the poor band at the Peavey promo.

JasonMcFly, guitrr and Rockinvet like this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I have several Peavey amps, a DB210, 6505+, a pair of Envoys. For playing, they are all superb. For servicing, who knows, they are too reliable to require it.

Peavey's future is much like Fender's recent past, competing against their own used gear.

I'm glad I never saw that Undercover Boss, that show was so cringey. But I'm disappointed that I'll probably not be shopping their new stuff.

5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

It was a telling moment, certainly. Mic breakdowns, no one capable of understanding the mixer layout... a disaster for their Sunset Strip location. A well-deserved disaster. Even clueless Courtland Gray could see it.

Those of us - not me - who slag on inexpensive gear from Behringer and other companies for being “cheap, disposable Pacific Rim imports” need to understand that some of those products could have been used in place of those Peavey products, and that show would have gone on without a hitch. In my home studio, I use the Behringer Xenix 1202FX mixer and a pair of Behringer Xm8500 mics to run an inexpensive PA setup. The mics’ EQ settings are the same as I use for my Shure 58’s. The Shure 58s, Beta 58’s, and Shure 57 are used for gigs. The Behringer mics come out as backup and are used for “guest singers”. No issues with those mics or the mixer in nearly 4 years of ownership.

And the Peavey gear failed, virtually out of the box. Caveat emptor.

Edit: Why did no one at that store run an early sound check? Was the store management that inept?

northernguitar likes this.
  6. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

[QUOTE="PhoenixBill,Peavey amps such as the Classic VTX and early Bandits, with single boards, were quite robust and easy to service by contrast. Even more important, though, the circuit design itself was very good. The design credit goes to their chief engineer, Jack Sondermeyer, who literally wrote RCA’s transistor handbook but was lured away to Peavey. Reportedly Peavey asked him why he was designing his circuits for Peavey with two pairs of output transistors when the RCA book said one pair was fine...he answered that he wrote that book and wanted to call for 2 but the top brass at RCA told him to say 1.[/QUOTE]

Please don't confuse my endorsement of 70's Peavey with the adaptation of the products in the 80's and later, I'm only talking about the 70's amps. And for those of you that are not familiar the tweed classics came later. All I was trying to say is that if you want to get a tube amp (in those days they had ss preamp) a 70's classic is a good way to go if you are on a budget. Lastly getbent is 100% right

7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Yes I saw that episode and then just a short time later they reneged on all the heart felt promises they made to their employees shortly thereafter, closed up shop and moved operations to China.

8. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I did not see that Undercover Boss episode either (in fact I have never seen more than a couple minutes of the entire series) so I can only speculate what actually transpired there. How much of that show was scripted? How would Peavey let the show develop into such a PR nightmare? Was that episode cleverly edited to make them appear so terrible? It seems bizarre to me...

Unfortunately I believe many, if not most companies are owned or managed by scumbags, so it would be hard to buy things if I rejected each and every company accordingly. Nevertheless, I do have a few products or stores or brands that I won’t do business with ( I would name a few of them but there’s no need to instigate a political discussion here) but I haven’t added Peavey to the list. Realistically I probably won’t be buying brand new amps or studio gear anymore though.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, like most "reality shows" it was edited and perhaps semi-scripted by production. But, other episodes with other companies usually came out much better and they did usually follow up on their promises to remedy problems and make workers' lives better. Peavey didn't.

Here's the show in all its cringeworthy glory if you want to give it a watch via YouTube.

Abu Twangy likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

See if you can find that Undercover Boss episode, it will really enlighten you. I don't detest Peavey gear as some have mentioned above but they are like a lot of old fading brands that refused to evolve. The things that the owners promised their people that they failed to deliver on really sealed the deal that you won't see anyone want to take up the Peavey banner anytime soon.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of what we buy is designed and marketed in the USA but manufactured overseas. iPhones, computers, Nike shoes, clothes, mountain bikes, etc. There are some things that are designed, marketed, and built in the USA, but they tend to be niche, high end products, not mass consumer products. This is globalism at work-- using core competencies of different countries and labor rates to produce the best value, in theory....but with all kinds of unintended consequences that were nevertheless foreseeable.

As foreign labor becomes more expensive and automation becomes more effective, a lot of manufacturing can actually return to more expensive labor markets, but this won't significantly increase manufacturing jobs because robots will be doing most of it.

But everything is changing rapidly. And there are all kinds of wild cards that are hard to factor in. For example, my friend works for Yamaha music, and business is booming. They can't build music gear fast enough to meet the huge demand caused by the pandemic. Distribution is shifting from bricks and mortar to direct-to-consumer online, etc. The times they are a-changing. And there are all kinds of new markets emerging around the world as the middle classes grow in other nations.

I see Peavey mostly as a brand name right now, perhaps with a few good products still in their line up. Nowadays companies are valued mostly for their brand equity,and their in-house design and engineering talent, but not so much for their patents, their infrastructure, or their real estate holdings. My question is what talent does Peavey have right now in terms of designers, engineers, marketers, social media folks, financial whizzes, manufacturing process engineers, etc.? Their long-term success and ability to evolve to a changing market will depend mostly on their people.

In the relatively short run it looks like digital modeling is hitting the tipping point where it is going to be the vast majority of the market. Companies that don't have good talent in that space are going to have an ever smaller market share over time, I think. Sure, people will still buy tube amps, just like people still buy horses and camera film. But the market will get smaller and smaller over time.

RobbieAG and guitrr like this.
  12. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

They don't have much of a Manufacturing Facility since Wholesale sell off of Factory and all it's Equipment here in the U.S.!

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I loved that Made in Mississippi thing.
    I'm of the IMPRESSION, that you can get as much quality as you're willing to pay for overseas.
    I think if one (Hartley) wants to, one can still deliver high quality at a competitive price.

Believer likes this.
  14. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

How is boycotting Peavey "supporting" people that were laid off six years ago? Seems a boycott would only serve to potentially not support employees that work there now. I understand why you have taken this position though.

15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

The Meridian, MS plant permanently closed just about the same time as the show aired, IIRC. No one of the assembly and testing staff were retained.

My boycott is the only way I have to punish those two. My interest in not promoting Peavey products is purely punitive. I don’t want Hartley Peavey or Courtland Gray to reap another dollar from that company, or anyplace else. They’ve done enough. Just go away.

Yes. I can be that way. Churchgoing man or not. I feel the responsibility in calling out egregious, horrible behavior in situations like this. My father had to deal with management like that until the company he worked for was represented by a union. He was one of the organizers.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My impression was that the problems with that segment were down to user error. A bit of prep time with a good tech (including frequency response measurements) before a proper sound check could have whipped that system into something moderately acceptable.

17. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I agree. User error, in this case, refers to store management and familiarity with the products. If a store manager pointed a finger at the sound tech, he should realize that three fingers point back at them.

This was a product showcase in Hollywood. However the band involved may have underperformed, that - along with the showcased products’ performance - reflects The Head Noodnik In Charge. That person should have resigned. Or been fired. Stuff happens, but good management has a Plan B (and a Plan C) ready to go. When I was working in Product Management, I did.

Yes, I gig with backup on everything, every time. Being a wedding photographer in one of my parallel careers will do that to you.

guitrr likes this.
  18. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Growing up in Kansas in the 80s with 3 tv channels there were only 2 visible amp brands, Marshall (for the rockers) and Peavey (for the country bands). (I never knew Fender made an amp until the early 90s lol). The closest town of any size had PV dealer and I always felt like PV made quality amps and guitars.

I still like my PV amps but I'm afraid they're done. Covid has depleted their inventory and expected delivery dates of their amps keeps getting pushed back. The Classic 30 had an expected delivery date in April since October, I just checked again the other day and now its moved back to June or July. Kinda hard to do business when you don't have any product to sell.

Didn't they recently auction off their remaining manufacturing equipment and some left over NOS amps and things?

19. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I still have a Peavey amp, an Encore 65. I bought it in 1984 from the bass player in my band. It was almost brand-new, still under warranty. Strangely, for Peavey amps of that period, it has an all-tube preamp section to go with the tube power amp (3 12AX7s, a 12AT7 for the reverb, and 2 6L6s).

I gigged with it for almost 20 years and it was in the shop 2 times: the first time because a beer got spilled on it, and because one of the power tubes slipped out of the socket enough to cause an arc.

Even though it was dependable, eventually I grew more and disappointed in the sound of the amp. Just didn't have the liveliness I heard from people playing through different amps. I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in the early 2000s and was instantly much happier. The Encore sits in my basement, minus a couple of tubes I've scavenged. I've thought about getting it back to playing status and flipping it, but the fact that I'd have to invest in a new set of tubes and even then, be very lucky to get the $200 I paid for it 37 years ago keeps me on the fence.

I still have a Peavey 6-channel powered P.A. head that I use for a rehearsal P.A., and a 4-channel solid-state head that serves as a bass amp. They will most likely be operating and serviceable long after I'm gone.

Telecastoff1 and guitrr like this.
  20. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

Another obstacle Peavy has to deal with is the new pedal boards from Helix, Boss, Kemper and others. Then there are software pedal plug ins. They are not replacing amps yet but the bass pedals and bass DI certainly took a chuck of business from the bass amp companies as many are going in ears with no amps on stage in certain situations.

guitrr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.