The future of "live" music.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scout2112, Apr 15, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Virtual performances are no substitute for being there with audience. Even when I watch YouTube videos of past live performances, it's seeing the emotional response of the crowd that helps make it special.
    There will be pent up demand but many folks may not have disposable income for entertainment.
    Things will come back slowly after a vaccine is developed. Prior to that some things will gradually open provided we have adequate testing (not close to that in the US right now) and tracking mechanisms to identify people exposed to an infected person.
    There is growing talk that 2020 college football will rescheduled for spring 2021.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

A good chance for musicians to work out a better deal for their playing from clubs....

that's if bands don't all rush out to play for free again....

start your own gigs in halls or outdoor events, etc.... get some control back...:)

Jakedog likes this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

While you may start to see things open up in the near future live events will be doubtful. There will most certainly be restrictions on crowd size and capacity even outdoor events will be limited. I am to the point I don't even look at my schedule any more 2020 will be a lost cause. Now that the government(s) have proved they can control every aspect of our lives what makes you think they won't do it again and again.
    Some people will be able to make money with music but it will be limited for sure. I really feel bad for the next generation that are trying to build a career and make a name for themselves.

4. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I skimmed an article in the Atlantic about Millennials who are going through our second "once in a lifetime" economic bust. It was too depressing so I stopped reading. I got to graduate into the first one, now I'm raising kids in the second. I'd like to hold onto the false hope of retirement as long as I can.

5. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

The economic bust is the entourage of the virus. This will change everything, even (live-) music. The german government bans all events until at least August 31. I‘m afraid it‘ll be a long long time to play live again.

skerwo and Old Plank like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The funniest/saddest thing about this whole situation is people hazarding predictions about when it will be over.

And talking about a situation as “not as bad as something else” as if it’s a substitute for that - and not in addition to it. Plus - you have no idea of the total impact this will have - it’s not nearly over.

Lord have mercy.

For the working musicians I certainly empathize/sympathize. Anybody who’s lost a livelihood - for however long they’ve lost it.

The people that were going to go to gigs ? Your plans were interrupted ? You were inconvenienced ? C’mon...

Jakedog likes this.
  7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We've only had two cancel so far, and I just booked another today ... just sayin' ... I don't know if it's universal, dependent on music types, gig types or what, but we're still good to go ...

8. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I gig mostly for the $$, the enjoyment ship sailed a long time ago. With the mediocre level of musicianship in my area, and the short attention span audiences who only know Skynyrd,Allmans & Petty...or the "Play something we can dance to" mentality,there is very little desire for me to want to play again. If I sell most of my vintage equipment, I'll make what I would make gigging for the next 10 years. Problem is...if no one is playing, no one will be buying.

Old Plank likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

This is gonna pass and folks will be out in force.

Jlwctn, archtop_fjk and teletail like this.
  10. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I wonder if there's an upside to this quarantine: adults and kids playing and practicing more hours, coming out to play with a better level of skill and creativity... in 2022.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm on the board for the local county Arts Council with gigs booked in the Fall and Spring of 2021. We are having a Zoom Board meeting tomorrow to discuss. Some deposits already made and groups from Canada and London scheduled. Lincoln Center in New York just cancelled the rest of 2020. So many uncertainties. My heart goes out to those who make a living doing gigs. We are conceptualizing ways to raise money locally for the musicians.

Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.
  12. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

The only constants in life are birth, love, taxes, music and death.

YMMV

13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Live music was in a pretty bad state to begin with before this whole thing started anyway. The event industry is estimating that things won't start up again in earnest until fall 2021. Think about it- if 10,000 people go to a concert and 10 of them get sick and die, the resulting lawsuits will be of biblical proportions.

tweeet and bgmacaw like this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I miss playing with other people. I didn’t think I would. It’s always been something I’ve done out of necessity, or for fun. I’ve always thought I got a lot more enjoyment and fulfillment out of playing solo acoustic shows. But now I miss my bands. That’s the con.

The pro has been live streaming. Doing gigs by myself in my basement and streaming live on my FB page. A lot of my local friends and peers are complaining that it’s not making them any money. But they’re doing it too much. Some of them are on every day, playing from their homes and asking for money. They’re beating it too hard.

I’ve done one show so far. I waited til we were three weeks in, and then did a single one hour show. I made what I usually make in 4-6 weeks.

I have a second show scheduled for early May. Indications are that that one will do even better. But I’m treating it like touring. When I was on the road, I’d play a place maybe 2-3 times a year, max. You can’t do it every day or it doesn’t mean anything. It becomes just more background noise. You have to make it special. Something that DOESN’T happen all the time. Something your audience can’t see or do anytime they want.

Especially since you’re trying to get them to pay you. If you hit them several times a week you’re gonna get very little out of them. If you hit them once a month or so, they’re a lot more likely to spend what they would on a night out. Or more.

This is the new reality for me. It’s also worked out well in that I’ve been off the road for a couple years now, so people that wanna see me across the country and haven’t been able to are really “showing up” for these shows. As well as my international audience. It’s not a huge number of people. I think the most I had watching at one time during the last stream was between 80 and 90. But it eventually registered over 2500 views, and most of those folks pitched something in.

I just hope it keeps being successful. Cause this has pretty much always been my only job, and there isn’t any other way to do it right now.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

As our state is doing well the lockdowns are being lifted . Our state, South Australia, is growing fast in gigs in pubs.

trev333 likes this.
  16. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

it's just simple disaster capitalism. bars and venues go out of business and some smart investor will buy them up for cheap under a 'starbucks' model and run them tight for a good margin. i would expect that under this model that musicians will get paid buttons and smaller ensembles would be preferred. it's a race to the bottom for sure.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

One thing to keep in mind is that a number of people don't use/like Facebook for various reasons. You might also consider YouTube and Patreon.

18. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

I am hopeful that I will get to see KT Tunstall again this August. Missed two shows in April due to COVID 19.

There is some speculation that it could be 2021 before concerts and sports return to their former glory. :(

19. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

+1

I posted in another thread too. People need to get some perspective.

World War I - 20 MILLION died
    World War II - 75 MILLION died
    Spanish Flu - 50 MILLION died

The Great Depression - 25% unemployment

And during the Great Depression there were no government bailouts, no protection so people didn't get evicted, no stimulus packages.

I'm not saying that we're not in a serious situation, but all this hand wringing and pearl clutching on this and other forums is really just silly. Everything will go right back where it was, for better or worse.

20. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

I think people who are saying this will be all over by August and will be gigging from then on are delusional. I mean they are turning football stadiums here into field hospitals....so saying it's NOT going to happen in America is bonkers ! It's a shame cos I've started to enjoy playing live again. It's not my main income, just pocket money as I'm a key worker, so risking gigging in a full pub or club in August to me is not only wishful thinking but a tad foolish as one doesn't want a second wave of this killer. Social distancing might remain until the autumn...large gatherings such as football and concerts might not happen at all this year. The globe is going to be a different place after this.

Jakedog and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.