the fun of putting those little rectangle shapes in reaper

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
while setting up a drum part... I am new to it so there are probably a few tricks i don't know, but the drag that it is....

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
Guitarteach (most likely) means something like EZDrummer or Jamstix. I highly recommend MT Power Drumkit 2 for free; you just have to click "Skip" on the VST each time you open a project or else it's silent. But it's super easy to use and gets pretty good results, and you can easily sub out the drum sounds with RS5K or other VSTs.

I have Jamstix, and while it's pretty complex, it's also possible to get good results out of it that I'd NEVER get on my own. They're having a sale through Dec 31. I got the "Ultimate" version on sale a few years ago and haven't regretted it.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Guitarteach (most likely) means something like EZDrummer or Jamstix. I highly recommend MT Power Drumkit 2 for free; you just have to click "Skip" on the VST each time you open a project or else it's silent. But it's super easy to use and gets pretty good results, and you can easily sub out the drum sounds with RS5K or other VSTs.

I have Jamstix, and while it's pretty complex, it's also possible to get good results out of it that I'd NEVER get on my own. They're having a sale through Dec 31. I got the "Ultimate" version on sale a few years ago and haven't regretted it.
Well the thing is when i am not playing straight 4 to the beat songs, i have to make my own death metal drumming. And even if it comes with death metal patterns, i don't know if it would fit my song.

I did make a blast beat exemple, and a country one. I will have to adjust the squares in their places but it is sort of fun in a autistic way.

So back to square one ! thanks for the input though.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Have you used different software in the past with a workflow you preferred?
Before i recorded myself with a zoom PS04 and used audacity to remove what has to be removed on the tracks. So effecient, but not when it came to the drum parts which i had to play on a washboard.

The funny thing is i planned a song on guitar pro, exported it to mp3 to get the drums right and found out the 130 bpm on guitar pro wasn't the same as reaper 130 bpm. It might have to do with the frequency rate, but at this point i have made my drum part, following what was made in guitar pro.

I don't have the know how to do it right, maybe i should have started recording a scratch track on guitar then add the drums.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Maybe get a little controller and just lay down the drums that way, quantize them, and then record guitar.
I did that with a little keyboard, playing along to the guitar tracks just to get the feel of it and then adjusted the rectangles. It is hard to play double bass, ride cymbal, and snare drum on a keyboard though. But yeah this was a good idea.

Don't worry folks, i will put them rectangles in the funny reaper box and you might hear the results. You will be thanked with a golden live monkey, a sparkeled telecaster, and a few disco dance lessons. And maybe a mention once it is uploaded to the www.
Thanks a lot !

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
I got the free version of MT Power drumkit. Great for starting songs. Then cut and paste. You can also make separate tracks for kick, snare, etc. Then eq and reverb them differently. I generally replace the kick and snare with live samples.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get an actual LIVE drummer over to my house? With good sounding drums. Now I know why Don Henley used a drum machine half the time. It's just more productive.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I got the free version of MT Power drumkit. Great for starting songs. Then cut and paste. You can also make separate tracks for kick, snare, etc. Then eq and reverb them differently. I generally replace the kick and snare with live samples.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get an actual LIVE drummer over to my house? With good sounding drums. Now I know why Don Henley used a drum machine half the time. It's just more productive.
Look into the free version of Slate SSD5.5, it's basically the full version, but with only one kit. Ridiculously good, altho I do use a lot of the patterns from MT Power Drumkit.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wish I could wrap my head around creating drum patterns.
I think I could be totally self sufficient if I could
Obviously I've not tried just real hard. I've not found anything sufficiently user intuitive to my liking

i don't want it to be much of a learning process

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I am using DrumGizmo (in Linux, but it also works in Windows). You can download several nice drumkits, and they are metalheads, so they should work for you. You can drop midi loops from Groove Monkey into it. One necessary trick I just learned: You have to freeze the DrumGizmo track before you render the project. Otherwise the samples load while the render is happening and you don't get the full kit until about 2 minutes in. There are videos that show you how to use Drumgizmo.

You might try Hydrogen for creating drum tracks. I use it in Linux, but there might be a Windows version. You can click in your beats and then it will export to midi. It is sort of like FL Studio was in the beginning when it was Fruity Loops.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I wish I could wrap my head around creating drum patterns.
I think I could be totally self sufficient if I could
Obviously I've not tried just real hard. I've not found anything sufficiently user intuitive to my liking

i don't want it to be much of a learning process
The best thing to do is get an old-school drum machine. Modern software drummers have too many options (that will come in useful later) to distract, when all you want to do is get an idea of what the perfect beat LOOKS like (drum patterns are primarily a visual interaction) and build from there. My songwriting (as awful as it was in the early '90s) took a serious jump when I got a 4-track and a drum machine. Sometimes I would come up with a tricky sounding beat, then come up with a guitar part to complement it and build from there. Sometimes I would simply program in a basic kick-snare 4/4 with hi-hats on the 8ths (in other words, a fancy metronome) and just noodle until an idea showed up, and once again, build from there. No doubt having a real live drummer to bounce ideas around with would have been a superior option, but I didn't have that, and I would no doubt have made somewhat different music.

Truth be told, dealing with an entire DAW just to plug in a few basic beats isn't my idea of fun, and I haven't had a similar spike in my creativity since acquiring a computer rig powerful enough to do low-latency recording. The drum machines are long gone, victims of the need for groceries over musical endeavors, and my 4-track has needed serious maintenance for years now (thus making it un-sellable). Besides, it's been replaced by a computer, so what do I need to repair it for?

Anyways, long rant just to say if you really want to "wrap your head around creating drum patterns", that's the best way to start.
In my opinion, anyways.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I am using DrumGizmo (in Linux, but it also works in Windows). You can download several nice drumkits, and they are metalheads, so they should work for you. You can drop midi loops from Groove Monkey into it. One necessary trick I just learned: You have to freeze the DrumGizmo track before you render the project. Otherwise the samples load while the render is happening and you don't get the full kit until about 2 minutes in. There are videos that show you how to use Drumgizmo.

You might try Hydrogen for creating drum tracks. I use it in Linux, but there might be a Windows version. You can click in your beats and then it will export to midi. It is sort of like FL Studio was in the beginning when it was Fruity Loops.
I use Linux, and I concur. I'm just now getting into DrumGizmo, and it is a steep learning curve. The results so far are well worth it, though. Blast beats and Discharge gallops don't sound like a machine. Now that's impressive.