The Floods: One Year Later

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Aug 21, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A year ago this morning we saw what 15 inches of rain did to our neighborhood and what around 13 inches did to the metro area. It was and to some extent still is quite something to be in the middle of what you usually catch as other people's news.

The adventure began with our daughter stranded in it the night before. That was scary in itself but she really impressed us with good decisions and keeping calm. The street a block away usually the conduit in and out of the neighborhood was under as much as 4 ft of water. Roads, railroad tracks and some bridges were washed away.

One pond in the neighborhood was using a street to drain into the next pond. I saw fish swimming down the street. That street was torn up in a spot and essentially a waterfall into the next pond. Pavement, storm sewer and earth were ripped away.

The night before with no power and darkness we saw exactly why your own local government might want to own a $ million fire truck. Also how we're better as pack animals. Most people behaved well some took out arms or tried to get 4x4s where it just would not happen. More and more flooded vehicles piled up and washed away.

The park closest to our house and that pond are still slightly flooded a year later. You could say the whole event drained a small city of it's cash in a day.

My advice for other areas is really think hard about the quality of your local government and your willingness to fund it. We've had flooding all over the country and a lot of places were or are not as well prepared, not as good with response, and not as good with getting it all fixed and paid for. A whole lot of fixing it will have to come from you or you'll be living in a place that has a lot of problems.

For as long as I can remember the first responders around here would be teased or criticized for so many toys but a year ago it was no joke. Those boats, hover craft, little 6x6 ambulances and the $ million fire truck that usually sleeps over the hill from us plus a lot of training made all the difference.

Then came all the disgusting work trying to save the contents of our basement. You'd not think our house would never have water issues but this was crazy. For a few hours south lot lot line was a creek. Basements all over were sieves for days to weeks.

So far this is not such a crazy year as the last. I know lots of other places in the country are dealing with similar problems. My best wishes.

:)

Nightclub Dwight and maxvintage like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

We're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of Hurricane Harvey hitting Houston.

upload_2019-8-21_21-8-34.png

Be safe ya'll...

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the things I like about being in the Mountains of Western North Carolina is, they say this area remained dry even during Noah's travails. I mean, it can rain almost any day but the stuff always finds someplace safe to go.

imwjl likes this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Looking at our house and many places you can see we were not truly flooded but all over humans have infrastructure where it's vulnerable. Thus, my words on thinking about planning and paying for public goods.

Decades ago now a town west of here decided to move. A sagacious community like that seems to be the exception more than normal. We should be encouraging better planning all over.

68tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.