1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the first Telecaster for sale

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ndcaster, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I caught that too. Also his proclamation that the walnut finish ES-345 is the first one to have that finish because it wasn't used until a few years later (therefore this one must be the first).

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

that's where you gotta do the dad response with "oh cool, i got one of the first ones sold too...one of the first 50,000 i mean."

dlew919 and blue17 like this.
  3. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

They're playing it here:

PeterUK likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That guitar is fire.

What? I'm not 60 yet.

Joe B or John5 is the most likely suspects.
    I'm more impressed by the red wall hanger in NY.

5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Questions. So many questions.

1. Why is it totally out of control?
    2. Is it possible to feature a number of different playing styles NOT to demonstrate a Telecaster's capability?
    3. Is finger tapping the most unnecessary, irritating type of playing?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    oldfish and blowtorch like this.
  6. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, that clip was cringey.
    Finger-tapping should be allowed by only like four people...

and two of 'em are dead

Mad Kiwi and Greggorios like this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I was in Norm's store when they were in Reseda, CA. I was in there with another friend(really great guitar player)and they looked at both of us like we were germs. Of course they had some really cool(expensive) stuff, but I didn't care for their vibe at all. My theory on all these kinds of stores is they have been able to monetize all these great instruments so they end up in the hands of novice investors. Or, well heeled and rich rock star type players. So most never end up in the hands of real working players. If they do, they are always at risk for theft because of their value and irreplaceable.

Because of all those issues, I just try to find the closest thing in more modern guitars and I think that I have a pretty decent group to choose from. I am happy!

Oh, by the way. Many people in LA talk like they are surfers whether they are or not. It's like their Boston or NY accents.

PeterUK likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

bent over

oldfish likes this.
  10. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

That Nacho picture?! :p

PeterUK likes this.
  11. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That Nacho picture is just out of control dude! :lol:

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I was almost yelling at the screen by that stage....primed by the faulty logic of the "this has to be THE, if not one of the first Telecasters because ALL prior to 1000 were Nocasters" comment then the absurd logic that they only made production walnut a few years later....so this is THE single first-ever, one-off walnut guitar. There were none other than this one custom ordered or small batched prior, all except this ONE?

I mean he could be right but the logic of the statement proving it is beyond me!

I was quite a fan of the shows and Guitar of the day until i saw that he has warehouses full and keeps the price inflated by only dribbling them out.

I mean that's how Fort Knox works with the price of gold isn't it?

Kind of marginal for governments to manipulate the market....kind of illegal for private enterprise...where I come from anyway :)

Price fixing, insider trading or whatever it's called (tongue in cheek, kinda, sorta).

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

US Currency isn't on the gold standard anymore, and hasn't been for a long, long time, so the Fort Knox comment is erroneous. I don't think there's even any gold at Fort Knox anymore. However, hoarding a commodity, and only releasing dribbles to keep the price artificially high is exactly what De Beers does with diamonds, and has done forever.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    RowdyHoo likes this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I think Lemmo is a very tasty player. I thought the video interesting. And I enjoyed it.

BUT

I really question the value of old instruments. Is a 1953/ telecaster really better than a MIM made in the last ten years? Or an Indonesian one? Or a custom shop.

if you watch players like Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, b b king, they play new instruments. Chet played PRS. B b updated Lucille when it was needed. Roy Clark played Ibanez I think.

I know the price is set by the price people will pay. But I wonder what sets that...

Disclaimer, I own a 1960s teisco that needs repair but is a fine instrument. A 1985 bass that I love. I think I’ve played a late sixties strat. Which was nice. So I admit I might be missing something.

but am I?

RowdyHoo likes this.
  15. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I was playing at a Moose Lodge in Winchester VA back in the late 90s I ran into an older fella name Bud Armel. He got up and played a couple of songs that, to be honest, sounded a bit rusty but you could tell that he had some chops 'back in the day.'

In chatting with him afterwards turns out he had played guitar for Patsy Cline. He told me the story about how Leo sent him one of the first batch (out of 7 or 8 if I remember) of Teles to try. Evidently they were so rushed getting out that they omitted installing the truss rod! In about a week the strings were so far off the neck that it couldn’t be played, and it had to be sent back for installation.

He ended up inviting me over to his home later to see that guitar, and others. i wasn’t knowledgeable enough about Teles back then to confirm whether it was in fact one of the first Teles but it was a very old black-guard in really good condition.

Anyhoo, that’s the somewhat anticlimactic story of my one brush with the famed ol' original Telecaster.

16. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I spoke with him on the phone once last year about something I wanted order, he "handed" me off to a sales guy who was well being short of being hung up on was rude. I am sure this is not the normal mode of operation over there because the store seems like the place to go if on that coast, was just kinda surprised at the attitude. Maybe I reached the store a few minutes before beer-30.

17. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

I agree. As droolworthy as the Tele is, I'd rather have the Coronet.

18. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I don't have a BG book sadly... I missed the boat on that. I'm hoping Nacho will release a PDF version someday. Anyway, there's something odd that strikes me on this guitar. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the 12th fret markers are very close together, more like a modern neck, and all of the 50's tele's I've ever seen had these markers wide apart, or am I wrong on this? Thanks!

PeterUK likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Please show us a pic or video of Chet with a PRS, or Roy with an Ibanez, because I'm sure that never happened.

Telekarster likes this.
  20. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.