The first scratch (or ding) is always the deepest :(

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jz63, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jz63

jz63 Tele-Holic

Funnily enough my 20 year old J-45 looks like it's been through a war but it doesn't bother me.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

That finish is pretty thick. If you follow the instructions you should be able to do it. I took some belt buckle marks out of the back of my black Strat with it. Black is a lot less forgiving than butterscotch I am sure.

jz63 likes this.
  3. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

I wish my dad was around to read this thread. He let me play his guitar when I was a kid and and I scratched it up a bit. He wasn't too bent out of shape but I thought guitars were supposed to have scratches and dings!

jz63 likes this.
  4. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

I've got my Dad's Martin D16 - Dad was half blind and as a result bumped into things a good bit, so that guitar has several dings on the corners, back, headstock - each one is something he put there while playing, and to me, that's a real relic, and makes the guitar even more special than just having my Dad's 1st nice Martin. Cutting a hole in it to install a pickup was nerve wracking.

jz63 likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

All of mine were bought used. None were worn but they all looked like they came off the wall at GC except for my acoustic which had a few minor dents in the neck from a misplaced capo. Guitars get played. Guitars get worked on. Evidence of use accumulates over time. Don't try too hard to remove that 1cm scratch. You might create a much more obvious 1" blemish. Enjoy your Telecaster and don't sweat it.

danlad and jz63 like this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Not an idiot - but I can barely see anything - certainly nothing that looks like "damage". Personally, I'd leave it well alone and just get on with enjoying playing the guitar. No-one (other than you) would ever know it was there.

jz63 likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually, if that is just the clear coat, I think you can polish that one out. I used this stuff to remove something very similar on the front of my CAR strat. It takes some patience and lots of rubbing, but totally eliminated the scuff. IMG_3042.JPG

JustABluesGuy and jz63 like this.
  8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

When I used to mountain bike the first thing we'd do with a new bike is toss it on the ground. Not to break it, but to get over the shiny newness of it and just get on with riding it.

OneHenry and jz63 like this.
  9. Karaokesquirrel

Karaokesquirrel TDPRI Member

It is really not bad, but I expect it looks worse to you than it is. The famous furniture artist & sculptor George Nakashima said that such marks from use add time value.

There’s a ding in my AS Tele that was done in the shop before I bought it. When I first found the guitar and tried it, it sounded and played so great that I couldn’t be less concerned, and now once and a while I see that dent I smile; I know this Tele, it’s mine

jz63 likes this.
  10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

jz63 likes this.
  11. jz63

jz63 Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

MilwMark and jz63 like this.
  13. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

“There is a great sense of freedom with relic guitars that non-relic guitars do not have.”

Is it similar to the sense of freedom with beat-up guitars that shiny new guitars don’t have?

jz63 likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased a BRAND NEW Les Paul Standard in 1992, and took it to a local guitar shop to have an EMG set put into it. I got it back with a ding right on the front of it - I only owned that guitar for about a week! I was pi$$ed!!!! My girlfriend at the time said, "Oh, just paint some nail polish over it."

She almost got hit with it.

jz63 likes this.
  15. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

'hello darkness my old friend..."

jz63 likes this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I find it to be funny how relic guitars are ok, but if somebody keys you sports car you want to kill them. Guitars can be played heavily without them getting damaged. I always take my belt off, get rid of my keys, my knife etc. my guitars are all pretty much in fantastic condition. I’ve had guitars when I was younger that got knocked or buckle rash, and I didn’t notice any special mojo show us and enhance my playing or the sound of the guitars. This is just how I feel, granted I don’t like new jeans, but they don’t have to have holes in the knees and just what are people doing on their knees that much anyhow, I don’t think there’s that much praying going on ! So yeah I’m opinionated but I think that guitars can be cared for and not get damaged. Sure there are occasions when stuff happens and that’s fine, but just deal with it.

jz63 likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

That, my friend, is not worthy of being called a scratch!

jz63 and MilwMark like this.
  18. jz63

jz63 Tele-Holic

My guitar repairman used this stuff and got the rest of it out, all except for a slight distortion that you can only see when the light hits it just right. You can't feel the scratch any longer when you rub your finger across that part the body. See below...

IMG_0130.JPG

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, very nice. Now you have to wait for an actual first ding through the clear coat.:twisted:

jz63 likes this.
  20. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

Give it to the lead guitarist in my former band - he thinks Pete Townsend had the best stage presence of any guitarist ever - and his BRAND NEW American Jaguar looks like it's been drug behind a Harley in the biker-bar parking lot.

jz63 and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.