1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Fifth Beatle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 2, 2020.

1. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

It’s got an atmosphere of it’s own somehow. So, come along with me right now...

3. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Definitely. It's no coincidence that outside of the (then) three remaining Beatles, he, George Martin and Derek Taylor were the only people shown on-camera in new footage in The Beatles Anthology. I quoted from Peter Brown and Geoff Emerick in my first post to this thread on who they thought were in the inner circle, and they both mentioned him, with Brown writing, "The real 'fifth Beatle' was without a doubt Neil Aspinall."

cravenmonket likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I disagree. There’s not much that Asphinall contributed as far as music or musical direction other that the hammer in “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”

RoyBGood likes this.
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I'm simply relaying what two people who worked directly with the Beatles wrote. And at least during rehearsals in the film Let It Be, it was Mal Evans who banged the anvil on "Maxwell," though there's a debate on whether it's Evans or Ringo hitting the anvil on the final performance.

gmann, Torren61 and cravenmonket like this.
  6. tonyguitargoat

tonyguitargoat Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

There is a lot I've seen on You Tube where George Martin literally changed many Beatles songs in the recording process. I would leave a band who had such a controlling "engineer"- no wonder they broke up- him and the Yoko factor.

8. Torren61

Seriously? I’m glad he was there for “Strawberry Fields Forever”.

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  9. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Yes. I actually was expecting from the thread title a discussion about George Martin.

Martin (guitars) even made a George Martin model and it had a "5" on the neck for 5th Beatle. I seriously considered buying one of the prototypes for it 12 years ago (I bought another Martin at that auction instead).

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/the-george-martin-style-m3m-cf-martin-5119217-details.aspx

boneyguy and Torren61 like this.
  10. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

By the time of the White Album, Martin was much less controlling. As a result, in the brilliant 2006 book, Recording the Beatles' chapter on the "White Album," the authors talked about how schizophrenic the recording sessions were, compared to Sgt. Pepper and Revolver:

Martin was even more removed for Let It Be. McCartney and Lennon asked him to do Abbey Road with much more input as a producer, because they (more or less) knew it was their swan song.

11. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Agree with the OP. Certainly helped a lot with arrangements in the early days from what I've read. Orchestral scores and a working knowledge of the studio would've also been an asset. Number V from me.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It amazes me how the internet brings out so many ignorant morons, and how willing they are to share their ignorance and stupidity for all to see, but it keeps my ignore list growing exponentially.

13. Tonetele

Schizophrenic is not a word to be used lightly. It is a medical term for a very difficult medical condition and I wouldn't use it as an adjective in reference to something as a long ago recorded ( possibly mediocre) record.

14. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

As making a major contribution to The Fabs?
    George Martin all the way.

Honestly - Sgt Pepper is the absolute proof.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Some of the Beatles stuff was really good. A lot of it was mediocre .... George Martin made it good. Without Martin the Beatles would have made an impact ... with George Martin they were able to drop a bomb. have to know what to go with talent ... Martin knew what to do.
    Consider Michael Jackson ... great talent for sure. Quincy Jones knew what to do with it .... greatness seldom happens in a vacuum. JMHO

Ed Driscoll and Torren61 like this.
  17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought this was about Yoko

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Torren61

You know, that's the first time someone has made that joke. I'm surprised no one used that one before this post, lol.

19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I'm afraid I have to disagree with both halves of your premise. As Dictionary.com notes, the adjective is quite different from the noun. Schizophrenia is a very serious medical condition, but "schizophrenic" is a very commonly used adjective to describe something that feels a bit disjointed or bifurcated:
    The Oxford Dictionary has these definitions:
    Similarly, in his famous 1977 Guitar Player interview, Jimmy Page said, "I’ve got two different approaches, I’m a schizophrenic guitarist, really. I mean, onstage is totally different than the way that I approach it in the studio."

Also, what is it about the "White Album" that makes it a "possibly mediocre" record?

20. Tonetele

Thanks Ed . You made my day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.