1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Fifth Beatle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You can get technical and say Pete Best or Murray The K or Billy Preston but I say the definitive fifth Beatle was none other than George Martin. George Martin taught the Beatles about double tracking vocals, wrote orchestral scores for their songs such as "Yesterday" and "Eleanor Rigby", showed them how to use four track and overdubs more effectively, played piano on "In My Life", "Lovely Rita" as well as doubled George's guitar with piano on "A Hard Day's Night", and so much more.

Without George Martin's influence, the Beatles' sound would have been so much different if they ever made it in the music industry at all.

Here are two of the best podcasts on Beatles' isolated tracks and song crafting. Martin's influence is all over The Beatles' music.

https://www.producingthebeatles.com/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-beatles-multi-track-meltdown/id1332090722

Greggorios, DonM, Wally and 29 others like this.
  2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

You are definitely right about George Martin!

3. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hats off to George Martin, but another George already nabbed 'The Fifth Beatle' title.

GB.jpg

Greggorios, RoyBGood and Ed Driscoll like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Brian Epstein.

(also- he didn't kill himself ;))

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I agree 99%. You're dead on, but i believe different on what they'd have been w/o martin. Definitely not as good going by the many demos i've heard that were what the songs sounded like b4 george worked his magic on them. But i still believe they'd have been huge just on the incredible songwriting alone because the songs were too good to be stifled by the lack of george's arrangements. Would they have been AS huge? I can't say but if i had to wager i'd say not quite. My point really is that arrangements are important, but there is nothing as important as the songs. Plus as the beatles matured which in all ways they did quickly anyways, i'm sure they'd have gotten much better at that area of it. But yes, GM is w/o a doubt the 5th beatle in my book. He just didn't write the songs or play live with them, but he made an incredible band even more incredible.

6. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I suspect John and Paul preferred having George Best called the Fifth Beatle over Pete Best! ;)

7. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Reading Geoff Emerick's Here, There, and Everywhere, the Beatles (especially McCartney) loved Martin's contributions, but as a "Northerner" he was never part of the inner circle. Peter Brown, executive director of Brian Epstein's NEMS Enterprises and the best man at John & Yoko's wedding (and shortly afterward namechecked in "The Ballad of John and Yoko") wrote in his 1983 autobiography, The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles, in the chapter describing how Murray the K anointed himself "The Fifth Beatle," "The real 'fifth Beatle' was without a doubt Neil Aspinall." Loyal roadie Mal Evans might also qualify. Maybe as the sixth Beatle.

As Geoff Emerick wrote in his 2006 autobiography, Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles, there was an “‘inner circle,’ consisting of the four Beatles plus Neil and Mal.” And within it:
    But there's no doubt that Martin was a giant of a musician, and greatly shaped their sound (as did Emerick as recording engineer, starting with Revolver). Just compare Martin's arranging style to the florid stuff on the Phil Spector version of Let It Be.

DonM and Torren61 like this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If there was a Fifth Beatle, it was George Martin.
    Even if the Lads thought less of him, he certifiably pulled his weight helping to craft their sound.

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think the second McCartney would qualify, after the original one left ...

10. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

You've got it all wrong. Paul was the only one who lived. Batman eventually sussed it out:

[​IMG]

(I still have this issue. It's the only comic book from my youth I couldn't part with.)

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard George Martin referred to as the fifth Beatle for many years. This isn't a new conclusion I'm afraid.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    knavel likes this.
  12. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I've said for years that Brian Epstein's death was the beginning of the end for The Beatles.

Frodebro likes this.
  13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

John actually said so on hearing the sad news: 'That's it - we're finished'.

14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

compare the Phil Spector production to Martin's
    then listen to Jeff beck "Blow By Blow" & "Wired" (produced by George Martin)
    he was the right person for that role and contributed greatly to the band's success

15. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

What no mention of Clapton as the fifth Beatle? Saw something on this just the other day.:lol:

I too think it is clear that George Martin holds that spot.

16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

What a fantastic cover! Never seen that before, thanks for posting! ;)

17. Jake909

Jake909 TDPRI Member

As others are saying, George Martin for me was always understood to be the fifth Beatle because of his enormous influence on their musicianship, their recordings, the musical ideas he helped to nurture. (Small mention, he played on numerous recordings in addition to producing them.) Simply put, without George Martin The Beatles would have been a very different band. And while we can't say what that band would have been, we must agree their music as we know it changed the world. Their influences, all five of them, continues on like so much software running in the background of our lives.

Yeah. Here, there, and everywhere.

Mad Kiwi, Rocky058 and Torren61 like this.
  18. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

By the time Pete was fired and Stu left, weren't there already 6 Beatles or ex-Beatles? I would think band members would automatically get the title, before producers, managers, DJs, road crew, a guy that played on one song on a Beatles album, or myself.
    But if I'm the 5th Beatle, let me know. I need to get a record deal.

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

To be fair, George Martin was the fourth (and maybe even the third) Beatle in regards to overall contributions to the albums.

Rocky058 and Torren61 like this.
  20. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Without question, it was Martin.
    His influence, his formal music training and ability to translate Paul and John's wishes into reality made him completely irreplaceable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.