1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Fender Telecaster Handbook

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JoeNeri, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Would cork make a good body wood?

Gary

2. DustyDave

DustyDave Tele-Holic

...Or airplane glue.

3. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

OK Got the Telecasater book. Good read. Most all of the pics are identifiable, but who are the players on the bottom of page 165? The one on the RH with the green Tele is on other pages but no ID. Who are they?
    Thanks for your help.

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Thats Rick Parfitt (Left) and Francis Rossi of Staus Quo.......classic Tele Rock 'n Roll OD sound.

Yeh Rick is using a Gibson as background noise, but generally he's a Tele /Esquire man.

5. tele150

tele150 TDPRI Member

Decent book. Hardback is a plus. Misspelling is cool too.

6. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

My wife got me the Telecasater Handbook today for my birthday. I'm going to have to mod it.

It's a good reference, good for intermediates like myself. Stuff that we can all do to keep our Teles in good order.

I wonder how long it would've taken me to notice Telecasater if not for here! lol

M

7. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

I got my "The Fender Telecaster" book today it was supposed to be a Christmas gift from the GF. After a two month wait. Ordered it on the 27 Dec. The book seller had to order it twice. I guess it doesn't help that the store is going through some troubles. Needless to say it was worth the wait and the amount of knowledge in it is amazing.

8. quonsar

quonsar TDPRI Member

Oh, how I have dreamed of owning a book the would reveal the secrets Telecaster tremolo alignment!

9. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

Hey, someone kicked an old thread and gave me an opportunity to pass judgment on people! :lol:

For me, an integral part of the term "cork sniffer" is that in their snobbery, they have to be WRONG.

I'm a bit of an amateur wine connoisseur, and people who know DON'T SNIFF THE CORK. Pretentious dorks who want to show off, but don't know nothin' about nothin', sniff the cork. The person who orders the bottle is presented the cork to prove that it's the original cork for the bottle, that it hasn't been drained and refilled with lesser wine. That's it, the cork presentation is merely a reaction to decades of fraud in restaurants. :lol: The person who ordered is also given a small sample of wine before it is poured for the table. Now THAT, you sniff. And taste. To make sure the cork wasn't too porous, and the wine has not become oxidized and gone bad.

So yeah... what was I saying? Oh yes: the cork sniffer is a snob who doesn't know what he's talking about.

10. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

Is cork sniffer a guitar term, or does it apply to anything cool that has had the fun drained out of it by bandwagon hopping wannabees?

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think the term "corksniffer", as used in this forum, means that the person necessarily does it wrong.
    I think it implies that the person has gotten bogged down in the minutiae which then has become the new focus of their hobby.

12. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Too late!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

TDPRI is a broad church - everyone from guys who just bought their first guitar to master luthiers.

If you've just decided you're interested in modding Teles, this book would be a good starting point.

If you've already modified one and have been hanging out in the technical forums here for a while, you may find the book contains less than you already know.

I don't regard it as a serious modding book in the same sense as Dan Erlewine's books (new edition due in Jan 2011) for example. It's more of a coffee table book ... lots of pictures, mostly un-captioned, some repeated, along with repeated text.

On top of that, it sells for over 40 bucks down here .... !
    http://www.borders.com.au/book/fend...up-troubleshoot-and-modify-your-tele/6779276/

It's main claim to fame is being a Tele-specific modding book. I don't think there's another one of those ?

14. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

I am looking at getting the Haynes Telecaster Manual and wonder if it covers how to replace and solder new pick ups? and how to replace a bridge? so has it?? :D would be a great help to someone with little knowledge on the workings of their tele? Cheers.

15. JCat

JCat TDPRI Member

I just ordered my copy today from Amazon for $16....anxious for it's arrival.

16. gobeco

gobeco TDPRI Member

Don´t forget the BIBLE of 1950-1954 Telecasters: The Blackguard by Nacho Baños (Spain) http://goo.gl/mhTYO The G.A.S holy grail

17. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Does anyone happen to have any spare copies of the Balmer book kicking around that they'd be interested in selling?

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Great read, ignore the cork sniffers!

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Over here it comes in the guise of a Hayes workshop manual. Once only for cars they actually strip down the car but by bit and explain how to change the alternator, repair the wipers, pretty much everything. Always recognized as the definitive manuals, they branched out into other products, like washing machines as cars become so technical as to be out of the abilities of the average DIY er. As well as the Tele, they also do the Strat, LP, generic acoustic and drum kit. Sell fir around £20 on my side of the pond.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.