The Fender Telecaster: A Short History Video

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fivewattworld, May 9, 2019.

1. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

Hi, Keith!

I just watched the video, and I enjoyed it just as much as your previous historical pieces. I'm excited every time one of your videos shows up in my YT subscription field, in fact. Thank you so much!

One thing that I've noticed: are you twirling/clicking a pen during the filming? It's hard to not be somewhat distracted (as a viewer) once you hear it. :)

Please don't stop making these!!!

-Sean

fivewattworld likes this.
  2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I liked the script and the flow, it shows you reserached this thoroughly.

If I may gently suggest: leave yourself in it only briefly at the beginning and at the end, if at all. It would be more compelling with the narration supporting pictures and footage in full frame.

NewKid and fivewattworld like this.
  3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Maybe not quite just the beginng and end but a bit more of that in balance....really enjoyed it, well done!!

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Well-produced and researched video.

5. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Very enjoyable

6. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I gotta say that with all the bashing CBS has taken over the years they certainly came up with a lot of interesting and now icon designs.

fivewattworld and rob2 like this.
  7. East Coast Rick

East Coast Rick TDPRI Member

Loved the Tele video! It's amazing that such a simple use of wood and metal could spur the culture that it has - from the bands and players, to copy cats guitars, books, Internet forums, historical video documentaries, etc.

I really like your videos and especially enjoy the fact that try to take a minimal approach to gear. Like you though I should spend more time practicing!

8. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nicely done and very informative!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I'm sure it was much harder than you made it look!

Cheers,
    Doug

9. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

Likely the TelePrompTer remote. Love and hate the promoter. Might have to upgrade the unit. Thanks for letting me know you can hear it.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I enjoyed that very much!

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Great video!

12. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Hi Keith,

I appreciate your hard work in creating these videos and enjoyed this Telecaster history very much.

However, these history lessons (I also enjoyed your Fender Champ video) seem off topic from your core premise of doing more with less gear.

Now if you focused on how versatile the Telecaster was and how to get many different sounds out of it, that would be cool.

I would also be interested in your opinion on how to break the habit of browsing for new gear online and visiting music stores regularly for fun - beyond just playing more.

Can you also address different segments of guitar players such as hobbyists like myself who only play at home versus gigging musicians?

Finally, examples of other musicians (famous and unknown) living the 5-Watt World lifestyle would be inspiring.

Thanks so much and I wish you continued success.

Don

13. fivewattworld

Hi Don,
    I get what you're saying. And though I've done some reviews on the channel my idea on those was to not induce gear lust but rather, hopefully, for someone to realize that the piece of gear might, or might not be what they're searching for.
    The gear histories have grown more out of my own curiosity. It took me a long time to get to appreciate these amazing instruments without feeling like I needed (wanted of course) to own them. That was a big one for me. I understand that someone watching the history of say a tele might make them want to try one but that's sort of beyond my control (lord knows). I'm really doing the research because I enjoy learning and then want to share it.

The rest of your email is right on point. I'm working on "How many amps do you need?" and in there I'm trying to sort out the "why" of someone needing a piece of gear. I'm also hoping to touch on the difference between someone that's gigging and someone that's playing at home (I won't say "only" because playing music in any form has such value in my opinion). This really relates to choices in amps, both size and quantity.

And the part about featuring players that are trying to live a minimalist, or let's just say "more intentional" lifestyle is really interesting. I've had some subscribers write and say how much the ideas touched them because they are trying to do just that. Maybe I should start pulling them together to share their strategies.

You bring up a number of interesting points and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness on this. I'm still a guy with more gear than I need for what I'm doing right now and I make the minimalism videos to wrestle with it myself but also to share that internal conversation with anyone else interested in it. The "how many guitars do you need?" video is coming up on 200K views so a lot of people are interested in the question even if they don't like the answers.:)
    Thanks again.

NewKid likes this.
  14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Hi Keith,

Here's a guitar lesson from Joe Bonamassa from the Doug & Pat Show about "You start out with a tone in your mind."

It starts around the 13:00 minute mark and is a great example of what you're talking about on 5-Watt World.

It's ironic that Joe has the most gear in the world and he's teaching us how to get the most out of what we have.

Cheers,
    Don

15. fivewattworld

Thanks Don! I'd seen this but I'll watch it again. I think JB is an interesting case when it comes to gear. He has an endless collection but his stage rigs have been pretty spare of late and he keeps two versions of the exact same rig, one in the states and one in Europe. Sort of intentional.

NewKid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.