The Fender Custom Shop ‘63 Telecaster Owners' Salon

TomK

Tele-Holic
If anyone else out there has one of these '63s, I'd love to see pics. Hopefully you folks can post soon. :)

@t-ray - does yours have a more modern 9.5" radius fretboard and bigger frets or is it vintage spec (mine's vintage)?

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
If anyone else out there has one of these '63s, I'd love to see pics. Hopefully you folks can post soon. :)

@t-ray - does yours have a more modern 9.5" radius fretboard and bigger frets or is it vintage spec (mine's vintage)?
Yes, mine has the the more modern appointments as you described. I think they work pretty well on this guitar. I think the frets are smaller than the ones on my CS Nocaster. I posted some photos of the Nocaster earlier in this thread. I like the ones on the '63 better. On my Fender Shop Floor Travelers, for the Nocaster it says "DUNLOP 6105 JMB," and for the '63 is says, "CUT "MED JUMBO"." And the part numbers are different, so I probably am correct that they are slightly different sizes. (Yeah, I know, too much information!)

Last edited:

Omiewise65

Tele-Afflicted
Awesome guitars!
I only have two photos of mine with me, so I will post those for now. A 2010 Time Machine closet classic '63 Tele. '63 pups in both positions, modern wiring. Seafoam green. The '63 is bit on the heavy side, but it is a great player. Love the thin neck profile. In the Herd photo, the Deluxe on the end has now been heavily modded. The other two are CS LaCabronita Especial and Nocaster.
View attachment 629859 View attachment 629860

That Cabronita is one hell of an eye catcher ! It cries out for Rockn'Roll! Stunning guitar , wow !

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, mine has the the more modern appointments as you described. I think they work pretty well on this guitar. I think the frets are smaller than the ones on my CS Nocaster. I posted some photos of the Nocaster earlier in this thread. I like the ones on the '63 better. On my Fender Shop Floor Travelers, for the Nocaster it says "DUNLOP 6105 JMB," and for the '63 is says, "CUT "MED JUMBO"." And the part numbers are different, so I probably am correct that they are slightly different sizes. (Yeah, I know, too much information!)

When i was researching the CS '63 reissues I know there are at least two or three other owners here who are active on the site have not contributed but who did their NGD thread. Just thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread for us and also future interested parties.

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
That Cabronita is one hell of an eye catcher ! It cries out for Rockn'Roll! Stunning guitar , wow !
Thanks! If I was only allowed to keep one of my guitars, this would be it. It rocks and does a lot more. Backstory: it was the grand prize in the TDPRI 2009 (I believe) annual fundraiser. I bought it several years later from the guy who won it. This guitar was built in October 2008, which makes it one of the very first La Cabs made by the Custom Shop.

craiguitar

TDPRI Member
Now that I’ve got my hands on this, what can anyone tell me about the CS 63 pickups? The spec sheet says nothing about them.
4z6-ZHXIvB_CDArG2dtve8IDRTSO6x85b2m2LiP76BhPrvmC6wOOkcDp3l2Ip2YMw1z4niuZIvW2J8Xuzc-DC1RripDPbt609iUxbn58S8LJkCbGD9TpCVnhQOktLi8Gn0aZPEbQ=w2400

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I would say that mine have a more pronounced treble range, and less bottom end. Specs? Have no idea.

tlgvintage

TDPRI Member
BC048FAD-C539-46BE-9B4B-96F4CF9A8AD3.jpeg
Here’s mine. It is a ‘63 Relic Telecaster, Ice blue Metallic Time Machine Series, from 2015. Serial R81516. Like others in the series it has quarter-sawn maple neck with a comfortable mid-'60s oval C profile, 9.5"-radius round lam very dark rosewood fingerboard, narrow jumbo frets, three-ply mint green pickguard, alder body and Custom Shop ‘64 gray-bottom single-coil pickups. The finish is nice checked and tastefully reliced.

It’s a wonderful player of course, the fretwork and feel of the neck generally especially is outstanding. It has all the snap attack you’d expect with a notable even projection of notes all the way up the fretboard.

I think a couple of sets of pictures should be sufficient to present its visual delights.

Now post yours

View attachment 626770

View attachment 626772

View attachment 626773

View attachment 626774

View attachment 626765

Mine is a sibling to your Ice Blue Metallic...serial number 81916. I’ve tinkered a lot with it, but could always put it back to stock. Right now mine has a bridge and compensated saddle set up from Philadelphia Luthier Supply, Lollar Special T’s, Emerson 5-way wiring, and Glendale 50’s domed knobs, The other is a ‘63 Journeyman in Burgundy Mist Metallic I haven’t messed with at all aside from the same compensated saddles.

Last edited:

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
View attachment 689706

Mine is a sibling to your Ice Blue Metallic...serial number 81916. I’ve tinkered a lot with it, but could always put it back to stock. Right now mine has a bridge and compensated saddle set up from Philadelphia Luthier Supply, Lollar Special T’s, Emerson 5-way wiring, and Glendale 50’s domed knobs, The other is a ‘63 Journeyman in Burgundy Mist Metallic I haven’t messed with at all aside from the same compensated saddles.

What pair of beauties. I do think these light relic 63s are the best looking 60s Teles out there.

I turned down the opportunity to acquire a lovely aged Burgundy Mist nitro body just like the one on your 63 there... I just can't build anymore guitars I am out of space! A lovely problem to have.

tlgvintage

TDPRI Member
What pair of beauties. I do think these light relic 63s are the best looking 60s Teles out there.

I turned down the opportunity to acquire a lovely aged Burgundy Mist nitro body just like the one on your 63 there... I just can't build anymore guitars I am out of space! A lovely problem to have.

Thanks! The wear patterns on our guitars are identical, but I've definitely added to mine quite a bit it being my number 1. The finish checking where my arms sweats during gigs has started to "raise" quite a bit and lose finish in places (which I love lol). I'm going to try to get some good photos this weekend to post because I loved your pictures!

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks! The wear patterns on our guitars are identical, but I've definitely added to mine quite a bit it being my number 1. The finish checking where my arms sweats during gigs has started to "raise" quite a bit and lose finish in places (which I love lol). I'm going to try to get some good photos this weekend to post because I loved your pictures!

cool bring on more pics!

edodo

TDPRI Member
And here are the specs : 2019 model

• Bodywood: Alder
  • Body Style: 2 Piece 1963 Telecaster
  • Neck Pick-up: 63 Tele NK Relic
  • Bridge Pick-up: 63 Tele BR Relic
  • Pickguard: 63 Telecaster Nitro Relic
  • Neck Shape: 1969 U
  • Fretboard: Rosewood AAA 9mm
  • Radius: 7.25 inch