The Fender Custom Shop ‘63 Telecaster Owners' Salon

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by rze99, Jul 28, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. It’s making an impression. Great colour match, but.... I like my Teles classic for the most part. Yup old fashioned I am.

2. TeleAggie

TeleAggie TDPRI Member

I think it looks great!!

3. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

So to improve my understanding (I love this Tele), what are the differencies between a 67 and a 63 - much appreciated and thanks. Some beauties in this thread.

4. rze99

A quick way is to spot the change of the tuners from small button oval to larger flattened sides and the change in decal from "Spaghetti" to the later design. The type of colours, paint and lacquer finish changes too in real life examples too, much else is very similar.

More details here if you wanna get properly nerdy.

http://guitarhq.com/gallery.html#fend

A quick reference with real life vintage examples:

a '63 head stock and decal:
    Fender63Tele.jpg

a '67 head stock and decal
    Fender67.jpg

5. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info

tce63 likes this.
  6. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

Awesome guitars!
    I only have two photos of mine with me, so I will post those for now. A 2010 Time Machine closet classic '63 Tele. '63 pups in both positions, modern wiring. Seafoam green. The '63 is bit on the heavy side, but it is a great player. Love the thin neck profile. In the Herd photo, the Deluxe on the end has now been heavily modded. The other two are CS LaCabronita Especial and Nocaster.
    Sea Foam.jpg The Tele Herd.jpg

RYAN1987M, Omiewise65, baiff and 7 others like this.
  7. stereostapp

stereostapp TDPRI Member

My picture is of my Custom Shop 1963 in a Journeyman Relic.

blgoode and tce63 like this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That Nocaster looks like an incredibly well done relic job.

tce63 likes this.
  9. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

Thanks! Yes, it looks pretty authentic. And not overly done on the back of the neck. Just the shoulders go down to bare wood. Has Abby signed pups that sound simply beautiful in the middle position. Here are a few shots from my phone. Nice little bit of flame on the neck.
    (Apologies to the OP since I am off topic here.)
    fullsizeoutput_513a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5138.jpeg fullsizeoutput_512a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_512e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_5132.jpeg

RYAN1987M, baiff, whoanelly15 and 3 others like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

Happens all the time. Get people posting photos of their treasures and it's bound to happen. I have a CS relic 61 Strat WW10. It's really the best sounding guitar I have. (I wish I had those pickups in my Tele). It's not as good of a relic job as yours.
    To get back on topic, the NOS 63 Vintage White that I posted in this thread is really my number 1 guitar.

t-ray likes this.
  11. katbob

katbob TDPRI Member

Have not posted in a long time but a long time looker.
    Seeing this post brings back a few memory's. In 64-65 traded a jaguar for a old green esquire that looked like it had fought its way out of a lot of beer joints. Got out of high school and bought a 67 chevy SS 396 and it was a metallic blue. Had the Esquire painted to match and added a bridge pickup and got Ampeg Reverb rocket for a graduation gift. Had a lot of fun with that old fender. Jumped in to bluegrass in the middle 70's and traded it for a martin. Several years later while playing ( Bluegrass) at a booth at the Dallas guitar show, a green Esquire sold for a record amount that year that looked exactly like the beat up Green one I had.
    Just thought I would share a little history.
    Thanks

12. rze99

Great memories thank you. Would love to see any old pics of those guitars.

tce63 likes this.
  13. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

I’ve got one of the earlier CS 63’s from 2000. It’s NOS white blonde over the straightest ash I’ve ever seen on a Tele.

It was the cover guitar of a Guitar Galleria catalog. I still have the catalog.

Stupidly, I sold it to a friend a few years ago who ruined the original pickguard, lost or gave away most of the case candy (but at least he kept the COA) and he drunk routed it for a mini hum in the neck. o_O

BUT, I got it back from him a year or so ago and put a single ply ‘eggshell’ guard on it. It still looks amazingly clean and is the easiest playing guitar I’ve owned.

I’ll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Kebmel, rze99 and tce63 like this.
  14. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

Here are some quick phone pics . . .

IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2369.JPG IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2367.JPG

RYAN1987M, baiff, Telebeestar and 3 others like this.
  15. rze99

TomK likes this.
  16. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

Thanks! By the way, I was mistaken. The guitar is dated January 2001 on the COA, not 2000--but I'm guessing that its parts were made in 2000.

I'd really like to track down a copy of the original image file from the catalog. I've contacted both L&M Music/Guitar Galleria AND the original photographer who took their cover pics, but neither of them got back to me. :(

I still remember getting that catalog in the mail (remember gear catalogs in the mail?) and I just had to have that guitar. I called the next day and bought it. I had bought an ice blue metallic reissue Tele Custom from them just a few months before, and boy was my wife mad. ;)

Guitar Galleria used to have to coolest eye-candy catalogs for a few years in the early 2000's . . . Lots of CS Fender, Gibson, and other high-end gear. But I don't think they carry that stuff any more (at it doesn't seem that way based on their web presence).

Another interesting tidbit: the guitar has "Customer Service" written in the neck pocket. I called Fender once to ask what that might mean and was told that it probably was a body that was selected for a special order due to its weight or grain but then was put back into production after being passed over in the end. Makes sense, I guess.

Telebeestar likes this.
  17. burntfrijoles

That's absolutely stunning @TomK

TomK likes this.
  18. rze99

Great that you saw it and got it well done. I can see why! It’s a perfect example. Actually it looks somewhat like ‘59 spec except the round lam fretboard. Puts the Page Mirror Tele to shame.

TomK likes this.
  19. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

Here are a few more pics of the '63 Custom Shop. My phone captured the color pretty well, too. Seafoam Green.

IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1820.jpg IMG_1818.jpg

Tezuka27, RYAN1987M, baiff and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.