The Fender CS experience?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Sinner1980, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I'm currently saving up for a tele that has been on my wishlist for a long, long time; a 60's custom tele(sunburst, double binding, you know the deal). It'll probably be a '63 with some light relicing, 7.25 radius with 6105 frets(same feel as my AV's).

I'm really thinking of ordering it directly from the Fender CS versus searching an excisting one in stores.

I'm wondering if there's any of you who have done this before:

- How did you experience this?
    - Did you get any advice that perhaps changed your mind about the order you wanted to place initially (think specs)?
    - Most of all; were you pleased with the result?
    - Do you still have it?

For me personally it's an exciting leap in the dark so I would really appreciate you guys sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks!

Btw, I'm aiming for this look and yes, I'm a big admirer of the man also ;)

image.jpeg

2. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Bump... Nobody?

3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Hang in there Sinner, most of North America has been sleeping since you posted. That's a big chunk of your readers.

I'm sure you will get the replies you need, once they've done their priority jobs first and had a second coffee. This forum can be very helpful ...... If you show a little patience.

Personally, I can't help you too much. I do own a few CS guitars, but they have generally - like all my guitars, new or used - only been bought when I have been able to see them, feel them and hear them first. That way I know pretty well what it is that I am thinking of buying. A method that has worked very well for me over the years. Generally less trouble and fewer headaches down the road.

Good luck in your quest.

Sinner1980 likes this.
  4. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Never ordered a one off before, but came close. When it came down to the wire, I asked again from the CS dealer what I was getting. I compared what I was getting, to what I was paying and it did not add up for me. Everyone is different with financial situations. I will only pay so much for a CS guitar and only so much for a vintage. I find the one offs to be very expensive. I always find that there is a happy medium

moosie and swingtime like this.
  5. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

I would love to try the CS experience. Never gonna happen though $$$....

wayloncash likes this.
  6. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

Looked at it but the stock cs seem to come in cheaper - there is a configurator you can use with the cost of each option

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know an average and median price a CD might run for what OP described? I am curious to hear answers.aswell.

8. Lake Placid Green

Lake Placid Green Tele-Meister

I was in a similar spot 10 months ago and ended up going with a Suhr custom Tele. I couldn't be happier and am glad I didn't go through the fender CS. I love fender but if you are spending CS money I think you get more for the spend with Suhr. I went back and forth with neck wood and was actually able to call and talk to the luthier building my guitar and get his take on what I wanted. He talked some sense into me and saved me $ in the process. I feel like they are what fender would have been in the early 60s

Rod Parsons likes this.
  9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Our own member Ron Kirn is another custom builder you may want to contact for a quote on the model you want. CS Master Builder Tele are quite expensive compared to those others may be able to provide for you.

10. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    There are many ways to go. If considering Fender CS a Team Built guitar will be considerably less than a Master Built.

11. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I'm considering a team built indeed, thinking that this will be good enough. I'm a Fender nut and it just has to be Fender for me. Superficial? Perhaps... It's just between my ears.

12. soulman969

Then a Team Built is probably the way to go. My CS Nocaster is a Team Built model and a beautiful sounding great playing guitar. I mentioned builders like Ron Kirn because you'd be getting a guitar built my one master builder for about the same price as a CS Team Built model but if it has to be Fender then you have your solution with a Team Built model. :)

13. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

That's great but I had that solution before I opened this thread already ;)

14. soulman969

Sorry I couldn't be of more help except to suggest alternative builders. I had the distinct advantage of getting mine through our guitarist who was a Fender rep at the time so I got to bypass all of the ordering process. :D

We did however do a neck swap for a profile I preferred and convert it to modern wiring. And yes I still have it and have had it since 2001. :)

Sinner1980 likes this.
  15. TexMax

TexMax Tele-Meister

For whatever it is worth:

I live in NYC and have access to some of the best guitar shops anywhere, and I get to play all the best guitars (IMO) now being made - Fender CS, Nash, LSL, Crook, etc. etc. on a regular basis (mainly to see how my self-made partscasters compare).
    I have never actually owned a Fender CS guitar or had any dealings with the Custom Shop but I will say this about their guitars: there are none better being made today, and they are possibly the best guitars Fender has ever made.

Now that being said, there is no guarantee that you will bond with a guitar that you've never played before.

But every single CS guitar that I have played (and I've played maybe upwards of 100) was outstanding in it's own right - not a one was even close to a 'meh' or a dud.

I think you get what you pay for with Fender CS guitars - extremely talented builders picking out the choicest pieces of wood and assembling, tweaking, and setting up some of the best guitars around.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Groberts and moosie like this.
  16. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

I have been playing for or framming a guitar for 40 years and have played a ton of em.

50's and 60's vintage fenders are my favorites. That being said there are plenty vintage guitars that are "insert explative for crappy here"

I have a John English Masterbuilt Fender,and man I sho do like it. I also have a Gil Yaron Strat, and it is just as nice.

I would not heaitate to buy either one again.

I have never played one of Ron Kirn's, but I can tell you he is a hell of a good guy. I do know folks that own them. They all say they are of the highest quality and craftsmanship.

Good luck.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have ordered two custom built Telecasters. I used Wildwood as the dealer. There is a CS order form (you can find it on the internet) but I didn't use it. I knew what I wanted. The folks at Wildwood were great but they didn't suggest anything different since I knew what I wanted.
    You will pay more by ordering "direct" rather than picking up something from the dealer who will discount the list price.
    The wait time when I ordered mine was about 6 months and it varies. If it's "Masterbuilt" you'll pay much more and have a longer wait time (vs "Team Built").
    Everything came out the way I wanted and they are both "my" guitars. I still have them and they're not going anywhere.
    In my case, I scoured the internet to try and find what I wanted but no one had anything comparable in stock at the time. For what you want, there are several listed on various sites. Wildwood is my go to dealer and they something similar to what you want listed but there are others as well. r10323_lg4.jpg r10323_lg1.jpg fullsizeoutput_c7e.jpeg Image 3.jpg

O'Malley, lance071 and Sinner1980 like this.
  18. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Awesome guitars and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm from the Netherlands so Wildwood is no option for me but there are some Fender dealers here as well.

I know about the quote sheet;I filled it out many times already as a kid making a wishlist for Christmas;)

Good to hear that you weren't disappointed and the guitars are everything you want them to be.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Wildwood is capable of ordering, and shipping your Fender CS guitar (unless there is a restriction on the materials used). From their site...

"For all International Orders we ask that you please contact us by email or phone for a Custom Shipping Quote and if the product is available to be shipped to your area."

https://wildwoodguitars.com/

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know exactly one guy who has ordered a "custom" Custom Shop guitar.
    The good news is that he loves it.
    The bad news is it's a Strat.
    I kid.
    IMO, there is nothing cooler than getting exactly what you want.
    There are three things about that, though.
    The first is, you have to pay a lot for it, wait a long time for it, and, uh, things (and you) change.
    My old beater avatar was a total (non Fender) custom shop guitar.
    I changed, and it changed it with me.
    Regarding Fender CS guitars in general, they are great instruments.
    I have owned a half dozen.
    I have also owned 20ish real, vintage (pre CBS) Fenders.
    The CS guitars compare very favorably.
    My best ever was a 2007 CS 1960 Strat (gasp-I ain't a Strat guy), black w matching headstock.
    It was a (double gasp) a relic.
    It was (I no longer have it) the best Fender made guitar I ever owned.
    Light, resonant, and stayed in tune beautifully.
    I also changed the pickups and pickguard
    It's current owner considers it his #1.
    Hope you get what you like, and like what you get!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Sinner1980 and Tremade like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.