The Fedex cup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Aug 25, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

$15 million is just too much money, I didn't even watch the damn thing. Jack Nicklaus tweeted that in his entire career he only won around $5 million, and he was the the greatest golfer of all time. He had to play against the toughest golfers of all time. Do these guys rate that much cash? I don't think so. Jack would make them cry and take their lunch money. Let alone what Ben Hogan would do to these pampered superstars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. HotRodSteve

Golf needs to go back to persimmon and balata. There. I said it.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. HotRodSteve

Should go back to the winner takes 90% and the rest of the pack fights over what's left. Play to win or get a job at Home Depot.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Rory Mcilroy can play like a dog, but when he's on, he's the most exiting player, and best player I've ever watched. He won 10 million once before at the FedEX and gave his caddie 1.2 million of it. Rory is a class act. Hogan and Nicklaus could not compete with these guys today. You're dreaming if you think they could. I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to pay you fifteen million dollars, you probably wouldn't think it's too much. It's easier spending the other fella's money. Not trying to offend, but I've played the game all of my life, no one has played at the level these guys on tour today do day in day out.

When I was young once in a while a really good amateur would come along who was capable of beating a pro. Trevino, and some of his ilk could be had by a good hustler. Hustler's can't play with the tour guys today. If musicians can make millions why shouldn't a pro golfer be allowed to?

As far as the wooden clubs, steel shafts, and those sorry stinking balata balls, I don't miss 'em ever!

Greggorios, nojazzhere and Chip like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

BTW on a good day, Hogan could drive the ball 265 yards. He'd have to put on at least 30 yards to even have a chance at making the cut. Forty yards might get him to Saturday and Sunday, but it probably wouldn't put him in the winners circle. BTW, Hogan putting on greens at the speed they are today, forget it.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  6. HotRodSteve

Give McIlroy, Koepke and Woods the same clubs, balls and courses as Hogan, Trevino and Nicklaus I'd think we'd have a real tournament.

7. Toto'sDad

You know what? I'm not even gonna argue with you, you ride your horse, and I'll ride mine. :) Playing those little short courses that the old guys played would give the young guys a terrific advantage if they were using brooms. :lol:

8. HotRodSteve

I doubt the young guys ever had to play for food money or worry that they were going to get their asses stomped for not covering a lost bet. That's pressure.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

You know I've been I've been poor, and I've been broke. I never saw that as any kind of plus in my life. I much prefer having a nice fully belly and a nice place to sleep at night. I don't begrudge the guys who play golf today a single dollar they win. I will agree with you on one thing, I got in over my head one time, and got down more money than I had. If I hadn't hit the shot of my life on a two hundred and twenty five yard par three, I would have gotten a well deserved rear end stomping when it came time to settle up. I hit a great shot though, and was lucky enough to birdie a hard hole, and get all the carry over money from the previous sixteen holes. I paid out with fifty bucks to spare, that was the last time I ever played for more money than I had. You're right that is pressure!

Chip, nojazzhere and HotRodSteve like this.
  10. HotRodSteve

Since I've always been poor and suck at golf I've kept the two apart. Rather be poor and healthy than poor and stomped.

11. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

265 yards with equipment nowhere as good or as long as today's. Hogan would adjust to the greens like everyone else has.

Toto'sDad and Straydogger like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Golf needs to go back to Camel’s and Benson & Hedges.

HotRodSteve and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

It's pointless to compare athletes from different eras. Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Hogan, Snead and the rest were the best of their time and how they should be measured. Training and equipment have evolved.

As far as money goes, for better or WORSE, TV revenue has inflated prize money and salaries in most sports. Also, one must consider inflation when comparing money.

Some of the names above remained great throughout their careers. How many of today's phenoms will do that? Different eras, again.

Chip likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

HEY!.....I don't know diddly about golf (other than the miniature kind) but don't go dissin' my homeboy Ben Hogan. He's so well known around here that even a handful of young whippersnappers have heard of him. ;)

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’d love it and I’m sure many would too, but they’d never want to have a throwback tournament where everybody used clubs and balls from say, 1965. I doubt any of today’s pros would agree to it .

Mashie Niblick !!!

The money in golf?

Every time they show the old white men who own/run the big corporations that sponsor the tournaments, standing on the green for the trophy/check presentation ? The ones who obviously love being there though they all are a little uncomfortable/doofus-y looking with a crest on their blazers (and wives named Dottie) ?

I swear at the TV and know that every single one of those guys treat the help like sh*t/pollute when they can/and break every allowable rule possible to win in life/business/and their crap golf games.

In a vaguely southern accent, “On behalf of the entire Rape and Pillage & Associate’s family, we want you to know what a privilege it is to be...blah, blah, blah...”

Yeah , we’ve heard it before, “Andy”...

:mad::rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    nojazzhere, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I give Mr. Hogan his due as the inventor of the modern golf swing. He was a great golfer in his time. The pros of today owe much to his developing the fade swing that many golfers use today. Rory though is like comparing a sprinter today to one from fifty years ago. Rory can play the ball either way, more importantly, he can do it under pressure, and if fifteen million dollars ain't pressure I'm pretty sure I don't what is. :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Hogan was a great ball striker, but was never known as a great putter, in fact his whole game was based upon getting the ball close enough to the hole he didn't have to putt really well to win. Thing is, study after study have proven, in most cases distance trumps control in golf. Freddy couple was the first plyer to really realize that. He was apt to play from the wrong fairway, and make birdy because even though he was wrong he was long, and close to the hole.

18. Toto'sDad

Momma got them hot flashes again huh? :D:D:D

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I feel like back in Jack and Arnie's day you would have been the guy complaining that true golfers were amateurs like Bobby Jones

stratofortress and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Those of you who want tour players to hit persimmon drivers and use a balata ball, that would be fine, but I'm pretty sure anyone who ever played persimmon, blades, and actually used a balata ball do not lament their passing. I have owned really nice persimmon clubs and blades, and blade putters. Both persimmon and blades had a unique feel and sound, but when the Pittsburg Persimmon (steel head) driver came out, I jumped on board quickly, because it was not only a better driver, you could get it with a graphite shaft that allowed you to really increase your distance. Instead of laying up, I was able to go for the greens in two on par fives. No way I was going back to the other stuff. A short par four that was on my home course became a hole I could drive if I hit it over the bunker and caught the downslope off of it. Not essential to do so, since I had chipped in on the hole from off the green for eagle two weeks in a row, but if I drove it, I could count on a birdie. Chipping is part skill, part luck, I'd rather be putting than chipping.

When Davis Love came on tour, he was hitting a persimmon driver on average 289 yards. Sometimes he'd crank it up and move it out there over 300 yards. Lots of guys could hit persimmon drivers just as far as a steel driver. In the fifties, they finally broke the four minute mile running, barely. Now they have broken the 3.5 minute mile. The athletes of today, and modern day golfers are athletes, are just plain better than their predecessors.

A final thought about golf. Since 1991, the average golfer's handicap has improved about 2 strokes. It's hard for me to see that giving the golfers of old new equipment would have made much difference in their games. Ben Hogan would not have used the modern stuff. Plus he used to modify his clubs by shoving wire under his grips which would not be allowed today. My personal opinion is that the availability of free golf lessons on YouTube has had a greater influence on the average golfers game than equipment has.

Chip likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.