1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Excelsior Lounge

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by drdos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Direct link to article: http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-mike-campbell

Here is his speaker, can't tell what it is. BUT I did notice that his tag is still on!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Dang! He tours around the world and I lose mine like in the first week just going to and from friends' homes.

3. tele salivas

Soulsingin77, please tell me, what is a Skrrecho?

4. Soulsingin77

Soulsingin77 TDPRI Member

Skrecho is the short name for the Skreddy Echo:) For a long time it was a forerunner for the best sounding tape delay. It's been around for years, and now there are quite a few others on the market like the Strymon El Capistan, the new-ish Empress tape delay, and the Wampler. Which I'm sure you know of. Cept the Skreddy has a delay fx loop which opens up a world of possibilities! Slaved to my Clinch EP pre, its the closest I've found to a real echoplex in pedal form. Simple with a great range of sounds. Set right on the Exy and the sounds are deep, encompassing and 3D out the wazoo, in a really cool lofi way. Perfect complement to this amp, IMHO.

You know what, I could go on forever. So instead, heres a link man:)

http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_echo.htm

Funny, it doesn't pop up on forums much anymore, or at all, but they they still have a wait list of about a month. Somebody is still diggin um!

5. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Used my FenEx tonight and three other bands guitarists came up asking about the amp, theyd never seen or heard it...the jealousy was delicious

6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

7. tele salivas

Ahhh, Skreddy Echo, that is very nice. I can hear how that would mate with the EXCLSR open back sound. That is about the delay I've been waiting to find. Mallekko has some cool stuff, and I was also thinking of Dano Reel Echo, but this looks to have everything I like. Thanks!

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's five years, from FENDER® ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS
    TRANSFERABLE 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (U.S.A. and Canada)
    :

9. tele salivas

I see, the old "5-1-90" plan.
    :lol:
    Thanks MadJack.

10. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

Hi all, newcomer to the board and only coz I own an Excelsior (not a Telecaster!).

I got the surf green Excelsior Pro, and must say what a cracking amp!

I've got an Epiphone 335 with Seymour Duncan P Rails and the switches on each pickup to flick between P90 / Single / humbuckers in and also out of phase. This amp really shows all of the possible sounds off on this guitar - even better than my old Marshall JTM30.

I've got a couple of small buzzes to eliminate but nothing that is too bad.

Cheers Fender!

Darren

11. zuperbal

zuperbal TDPRI Member

Hmmm,

Looks like there is something wrong with the warranty guidelines. I have the owners manual right in front of me and inside there is a sheet that says the Fender Excelsior is only warranted for 1 (one) year against defects except tubes and other electrical component things such as cables, are warranted for 90 days.

Wonder if Fender has a clue what's going on here?

12. tele salivas

Just found my owner's manual, too. And like Zuperbal, it's the way I remembered it, 1 Year. Perhaps Excelsior Pros are under the 5-1-90 warranty, but from what I know, they just have the Emi Speaker and colored tolex in difference, so I doubt that the warranty would offer 4 more years for major defects.

13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Back to tremolo matters...

So... I did the trem on/off switch bypass and took the leads to a Cliff Jack so I could use a foot switch. Nice, but as there's no easy place to store a F/S in the back of the amp, I've neglected more than once to pack it in my gear bag and, of course, I'm then unable to use the trem at all...

I want to keep the F/S for live playing but would really like the option of using the on/off knob when not using the F/S. I really can't figure out how a switching jack would do this, so am now thinking of putting in a small DPDT switch (don't think those leads carry much current) that would either send the signal to either the trem knob or the jack. Before I get out the drill to put another hole into the chassis, I'm wondering if anyone has done this??

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. Darrenr75

Darrenr75 TDPRI Member

Hi DavidP

I was wondering how you managed to install the on/off switch bypass for the tremolo?

Cheers.

15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try using a Switchcraft 12A tip shunt jack. When the plug is out it completes the circuit to the switch, when the jack is plugged in, you need to complete the circuit with the footswitch. This way, when you're not using the footswitch, you can still turn on the Tremolo by hand.

16. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

More on footswitch jack specs and wiring...

Hmm, I don't think a Switchcraft shorting jack will work here as you want the jack isolated from chassis ground -- that's why I went with a Cliff jack.
    Cliff jacks are a different (and slightly confusing to me) design in that both pairs of tip/sleeve contact lugs are closed when nothing is plugged in; inserting the the plug then breaks the internal contacts. I currently have lugs on one side connected to the two leads that originally went to the pot. If I follow MadJack's Switchcraft logic above, I'm thinking that if I then run two leads off the other side back to the pot switch it will be functional when there isn't a footswitch plugged in (continuity between both sides of the jack), and then the footswitch will be higher priority in the circuit when it is plugged in?

So... anyone done it this way???

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  17. dragonfly66

I had my Big Ben in my Deluxe Reverb and it sounded really good but it was just far too efficient. My hears were bleeding when trying to get natural over drive from the amp. I put the Weber DT-15 back in the Deluxe Reverb. (BTW... the DT-15 sounded too thin in the Excelsior) I put the Big Ben in my Excelsior tonight and it sounds great in this amp too. Of course the amp weighs a ton now, but I am impressed with this speaker. I have to concur with Newzpix's assessment of the Legend vs the Big Ben. As opposed to the Deluxe Reverb/Big Ben combo, I can get the Excelsior to break up much sooner so it isn't as hear splitting. It is much louder and clearer/more clear than the original speaker. Not much honk that I can hear but it is gritty which I like.

18. Soulsingin77

Soulsingin77 TDPRI Member

Um so...

Slight burning smell comin out of the top chassis on my Exy last night. I wasn't running it particularly hard. Tubes seemed ok. Thoughts anyone?

19. Synchro

Synchro Tele-Meister

Something got too hot. :)

Seriously, tube amps can have an odor at times but I'd give the chassis a quick visual and keep eyes, ears and nose open.

20. dragonfly66

Unplug the amp. Remove the top chassis (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE - unless you know how to drain the filter caps) just LOOK inside for any melted or burn parts. Sometimes a flashlight/penlight helps to see more clearly. Take photos and post here if you find something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.